Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Finished][Blender]Alien Chamber

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
novem polycounter lvl 3
The idea is to create a scene with a terror/sci-fi feeling to it. The idea is to create a little animation about a creature that is being kept alive inside an intubation mechanism. I'll be posting the wip shots here. 

Replies

• novem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    novem polycounter lvl 3
    Sculpted the little creature that's gonna be inside the Chamber and added more tubes/details to the scene. The next steps are to retopoly the baby alien, rig it, animate it and add textures to the scene

• novem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    novem polycounter lvl 3
  • novem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    novem polycounter lvl 3
    Applied some textures on the creature inside Substance Painter and rendered them inside the chamber to see how they interact with the scene's lighting.

Now to put some textures on the scene itself and start animating!

• Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Auldbenkenobi polycounter lvl 11
    Have a feeling this could turn out ace. I'd suggest though, making sure you have your composition planned from the beginning and set up your cameras accordingly. Right now it's seems you're putting stuff together without any constraints and you're rushing into detail without planning a solid foundation first. This will make it harder to find a satisfying composition later down the line.

Still a neat idea though! Looking forward to seeing more!
  • novem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    novem polycounter lvl 3
    Have a feeling this could turn out ace. I'd suggest though, making sure you have your composition planned from the beginning and set up your cameras accordingly. Right now it's seems you're putting stuff together without any constraints and you're rushing into detail without planning a solid foundation first. This will make it harder to find a satisfying composition later down the line.

Still a neat idea though! Looking forward to seeing more!
    Thank you for the feedback!

It's true, the lack of early test takes will probably hinder the final result down the line. For now, I'll use this project as a learning device and make a mental note to know better when starting my next project!

• novem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    novem polycounter lvl 3
    Added textures to the glass and the monitor screen

(sci-fi hud textures downloaded from freepik)
  • novem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    novem polycounter lvl 3
    Coming back to work on this project!

Made a mask for the alien, and also changed the chamber's liquid color a little

• novem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    novem polycounter lvl 3
    First pass on the final textures. I liked it overall, but feel like the lighting's still a little off. Might tweak it a little before starting animating.

• novem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    novem polycounter lvl 3
    Animation Finished! I feel like some camera movements are a little sloppy, buy I'm happy I could finish this one. Hope to get better next time!
    https://youtu.be/bqvy3EmZIU4
  • TheLittleJay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheLittleJay polycounter lvl 5
    Man this looks great. 

Agree with your comment on the camera movements, I'd recommend keeping the camera's speed consistent between cuts. Right now you slow down and stop at around 0:05, but the next shot has the camera starting in motion. If you just cut your first shot whilst the camera is still moving, you don't break that nice flow you've built up. 

Also the lighting is really nice, but I can see one of your floating spotlights round the back of the canister (at ~0:04). It messes with the composition since it's illuminating the background fog, drawing the eye away from your cool alien. 

Little bit of polish and this will be stellar! 

• novem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    novem polycounter lvl 3
    Man this looks great. 

Agree with your comment on the camera movements, I'd recommend keeping the camera's speed consistent between cuts. Right now you slow down and stop at around 0:05, but the next shot has the camera starting in motion. If you just cut your first shot whilst the camera is still moving, you don't break that nice flow you've built up. 

Also the lighting is really nice, but I can see one of your floating spotlights round the back of the canister (at ~0:04). It messes with the composition since it's illuminating the background fog, drawing the eye away from your cool alien. 

Little bit of polish and this will be stellar! 

That's a very nice insight! I didn't study proper camera movements before, never thought about keeping the motion flow like that. Will try it next time