Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Hospital Corridor

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Darthice polycounter lvl 3
Hi polycount! 

There's a scene I'm currently working on and I would really appreciate to get some feedback on it. 

Done!

Blockout

Key references

Thanks for reading and feedback is appreciated, as always!

Replies

• Darthice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi there,
    It has been quite a while since I started this project but I finally got my head into it again. So here's an update:

I'm not quite satisfied with the broken glass yet. Probably needs some dirt on it. 

Feedback is highly appreciated,

Thanks! 

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    The question marks on the wall stand out to me as looking like they weren't written by a crazy person. Maybe make the font a bit messier? The scene is looking cool!
  • Darthice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ashervisalis Thanks. I tried to position the decals in a messier way. I'll probably make the font a bit messier too. 

Here's an update!

Feedback is welcome!

• Brain_Slave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brain_Slave polycounter lvl 4
    Scene became noticeably better. The main difference between your project and references is their vibrance, it just feels sharper.

You might want to add some more roughness contrast to floor tiles and a bit more dirt.
  • Darthice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Brain_Slave I added more dirt and some contrast to the roughness. I get that alot on this project, to get some more roughness variation. However, I feel like no matter how much I boost it, in this point of view it's not very noticeable.

Here's another update:

• Darthice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Giving the lighting some more love..

C&C is welcome!

• CybranM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator
    Looks good but I feel that the orange light is giving off this warm and homely feeling, which might not be what youre going for :smile:
  • Brain_Slave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Warm light is certainly giving this environment some more interest. I wonder how it will look like if the front door lights are blue cold.

Nice progress though!
  • Darthice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @CybranM I kind of want to tell that there's some insane guy living his best life right next to this torture scene, I should probably push the colder side of the corridor a bit. Thanks!

@Brain_Slave I'll try that out ! Thank you! 
  • Darthice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And one more update!

• Jack M.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    The scene is looking pretty solid so far. Here's some areas I think you can improve on though...

1) I think in the bottom left hand corner you should add some junk like a broken bike, trash, bins, 2x4's, etc. This'll help pull attention more towards the back and I think adds to the overall composition better.

2) I'm not really a fan of the tally marks. I think they're way over done in games and you should really think of adding other stuff. Add some colorful graffiti or maybe a heartfelt last message to a family member. Stuff like that is a lot more memorable and natural looking than tally marks.

3) I think the scene is looking a tad bit too saturated in the orange lighting. Make that a bit more natural. I also think the bounce lighting looks a bit off. Make sure you're baking with good enough settings and try not to cheat the lighting too much.

4) Try and add some blues in the foreground. It adds a natural color gradient from foreground to background, that at least in my opinion is very pleasant.

Here's a quick paintover going over some of my suggestions. Hopefully it helps, and I'm looking forward to seeing more progress on this one :).

• Darthice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Jack M. Hi! Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it.

Here's another WIP. I still have to change the decals and add more of them tho.

The next thing's i'm going to do will probably be adding more graffiti and finishing the assets properly. The doors also still need some love.

And as always, c&c is welcome!

• Brain_Slave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work! Except for detailing, It's already feels finished
  • Chef_0f_J0EY_SH3rWay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very nice! I love the lighting and the roof!
  • vaskopetrov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vaskopetrov polygon
    Great work! Cant wait to see the finished thing.
  • Jack M.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    Nice work so far. Here's some more feedback that I think will improve the scene a lot.

- Think about how you can build up the story a bit more. Add some more graffiti to the walls, add more passes on grunge and dirt
    - darken the foreground a bit more
    - maybe add some water pooling around the tipped over water jug
    - reduce the AO a bit
    - add some more variations in the tile height and damage (they look really pristine)
    - fix the lighting in the back door (looks like you're using a spot light way too close to the doors because they're both coming into the windows at different angles)
    - I'm still for getting rid of those tally marks, as they really don't add anything to the environment and hurts it more than anything.
    - Your scene needs a fair bit more debris overall. Consider adding medical supplies such as needles, bags, hazard containers, gloves, gowns, broken medical bed, etc. The list goes on but you need to add a lot more props for it too sell the look.

Keep it up man, this is coming along nicely and could turn out to be a really good piece.
  • Darthice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Jack M.
    I'm working on the graffiti right now, didn't miss what you said in your earlier comment! 
    I'm a bit confused about two things:
    1) Regarding the tiles, you mean the floor tiles right? 
    2) What do you mean by fixing the lighting in the back door? I don't really get what you are saying

Thanks! 
  • Jack M.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    Nice, graffiti can be REALLY time consuming to make but it sells the world so well.

1) Yes the floor tiles. It would be really nice to see some broken tiles, some dirtier, some with variations in height, etc. Tiles are some of the first things to go in apocalyptic type scenarios so seeing some breakup there would be really nice.

This image from Wiktor Ohman's Silent Hill scene is a good example of what I'm talking about. They're a different kind of tile, but the results are pretty much the same.

2) The light streaming in through the windows in the back are coming in at different angles. Assuming the light is from the sun, it doesn't make much sense. Now that I'm thinking about it you should really only have that natural glow coming in from the double doors OR the side door. Here's a quick breakdown of what I mean.

• Isunoj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isunoj polycounter lvl 9
    Look's amazing. I'm really loving it!
  • Darthice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Jack M.
    Thanks! 

I started adding some atmosphere with particles, tweaked the lighting and started working on more props. 
    Here's an animated GIF:

Feedback still is welcome! 
  • Jack M.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    Huge improvements all around. Nice work!

The lighting on the ceiling is looking really weird to me right now. Is that bounce lighting or do you have like a point light up there boosting the bounce lighting? In either case I'd try and tone that down a lot.

Also I'd scrap the sparks. They're a bit too much for the scene and much like the tally marks I don't think it really adds anything to the composition. Also a lot of beginners overuse sparks like that so I'd avoid them altogether.

I think you could also stand to do another decal pass for leakage, grunge, and other details like paint chipping. 

Your scene is coming along really nicely, keep up the good progress!
  • Darthice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks @Jack M. 
    It's been quite a while since my last update. I redid quite a lot of stuff in the scene and expanded it. I am working on the individual assets at the moment. A lot of them still need some work. 
    There still are some lightmap issues here and there, just disregard them.
    Any feedback is appreciated, especially regarding lighting and composition!
    Thanks! 

• Jack M.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    @Darthice I think that's looking like a huge improvement overall. I think at this point you really need to dial in some settings. Mess around with the lights bias settings, lower the bias settings on your AO to get better coverage on the small details, add contact shadows to your scene, and use a slight sharpen filter by searching sharpen in the command line and set it to about 1. Making those changes will help a bit on the technical side.

Some of your assets are looking a bit low resolution. The tiles look a bit soft and the roughness variation isn't great. You have some excellent reflections but your assets don't have a lot of good roughness variation to make it interesting. For example the walls look really nice in that regard. Also I feel like the paper isn't super realistic. Flatten them out and add some writing like medical documents or just get rid of them.

Hopefully that helps. It's a big improvement. Keep it up and you'll have a really sweet portfolio piece here.
  • Darthice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Jack M.
    Thanks again for your feedback!

I feel like I could keep going forever on this scene so I'll just call it done after I make some gifs and stuff.

• LVL45
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LVL45 polycounter lvl 7
    Hey man it looks really nice! I love those shots with red light from Coca-Cola machine
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Final shots look great! perseverance paid off. I personally preferred your previous shots (the darker moodier shots) but hey that's subjective, and the brightened lighting shows off your assets better (although I like atmosphere of your earlier).
  • nastobi123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nastobi123 polycounter lvl 8
    this looks great man ! 
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Yeah looks wicked :)
  • Darthice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @LVL45 Hi! Thank you
    @pixelpatron I got that a lot so I decided to make the final shots a bit darker!
    @nastobi123 Thanks
    @Ashervisalis Thanks ! 

I've finally finished and posted the scene in my portfolio. Thank ya'll for your feedback!
    You can see more shots on my  ArtStation if you want to.