Character Art Study Progress Thread

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
calvinevan12 polycounter lvl 2
I'm trying to improve my anatomy knowledge and general sculpting skills.  This is my first study, I didn't count the amount of hours it took but it was done within 4 days. I'm not that fast, I know. I didn't put much details on the hair, only on the bangs, since that part is tedious and I don't think it will benefit me much on my anatomy study. 
I also made a little gif showing the different stages of the sculpt. At the first hours it looks really bad, but as I keep going she started to look nice and pretty. Feel free to let me know what you think of my sculpt, and feel free to criticize, it would help me a lot on improving.

Hope you have a great day!

Replies

• Agelink
    I think the model turned out really well! I can't see any issues that are really sticking out, however, I am wondering what your references are.
    If you want to study anatomy it might be best to avoid heavy stylization and instead try to observe real life anatomical features.
    Good luck!
  • calvinevan12
    Offline / Send Message
    @Agelink Thank you! I have some real life people, but most are from other artist's sculpts since they're easier to find. Real life model is not currently possible for me though.  I realize that I should try to make it more realistic in the future, thanks for pointing it out!
  • EvilSylvanas
    Offline / Send Message
    EvilSylvanas polycounter lvl 3
    @calvinevan12
    I like your model, it's pretty good ! I have some advice though, you said you're using sculpts of other artist as a reference for anatomy, but in my opinion it's really bad idea. Even the professionals do mistakes, or unable to capture all details. If you wanna study the anatomy, i would recommend using normal photos (the one that weren't photoshoped) 
    Keep up the good work !
  • calvinevan12
    Offline / Send Message
    @EvilSylvanas
    Hi, thank you! Yes, I realize that mistake now, and has since been using real photos from 3d.sk. The site is truly a treasure chest for anatomy references. I'm slowly trying to fix my bad habits too. Thank you for the comment!
  • Chaduke
    Offline / Send Message
    Chaduke polycounter lvl 5
    I really like the style, but you're going for more realistic or common it seems like you could just take everything above the hips and scale it up a bit.  My personal preference would be to add a little more tone in the biceps / triceps area.  If the style you're going for is to create a very visible contrast between the proportion of upper body to lower body then you did a great job, and like I said, I like that style.
  • calvinevan12
    Offline / Send Message
    @Chaduke
    Thank you! I think I can do that, the top part does feel a bit too small compare to the bottom. The biceps/triceps area does look a bit too thin now that I look at it again, thank you for pointing it out!
  • calvinevan12
    Offline / Send Message
    This is my most recent study I did on sunday. I've been doing a couple others but this one has the best looking result. I was mostly using Asian women in my references. My goal was to, of course, improve my faces and proportion. I want to have a realistic proportions for the face while maintaining a stylized look. Something like the characters from the recent Final Fantasy games (?)

Critiques and feedbacks will be greatly appreciated! Cheers!
  • calvinevan12
    Offline / Send Message
    This is another practice/study I just finished. 

• calvinevan12
    Offline / Send Message
    I figure I should update this thread after a while.

D.Va Bust
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/dOV00x
    I wanted to improve my faces and face proportions with this project.
    calvin bastian dva

2B
    Here I want to learn how to properly do hair cards and render both the hairs and skins on marmoset. I read and watch a lot of tutorials on these topics before finally achieving a result that I'm proud of. There's many more room for improvement, but right now it's a start. I still haven't started learning about the eyes. 
    calvin bastian 2b
    calvin bastian 2b

Anatomy & Proportion Practice
    Here I want to practice my anatomy and proportion. It is not realistic at all and it is obviously stylized, making a hyper realistic model is not my current goal, and honestly I just want it to look good.