Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

ArtStation Challenge Legend of king Arthur Submission

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
3Dmendez polycounter lvl 3
I started the Artstation Challenge"Legend of King Arthur" and I'm going to just upload screenshots of my current work in progress here. I chose to do the environment based off of Jie Yang's Concept from the environment design challenge. Just looking at it I know I am going to have a lot of vertex painting to do. I also don't really know how I am going to sculpt the knight on the horse statue in the back. If anyone has any feedback or Ideas that could help me. I am all ears. 
Here is the concept art I am working off of. 

I want to try implementing trim sheets, but I don't know where I would use them. I know I could use a trim sheet for the big cubic pillars in the back, behind the statue, but I feel like those should actually be sculpted/modeled into the model itself to make it look better. 
Here is a link to my Artstation Challenge page.  https://www.artstation.com/contests/the-legend-of-king-arthur/challenges/69/submissions/46702.

Replies

• 3Dmendez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I Uploaded these a few days ago on artstation. I fixed the scale issues I was having an I am now exporting the bsp from Unreal and editing them in 3DS Max. 
  • 3Dmendez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I've been working on adding slightly more detail to each piece. I don't want to go completely detailed on a singe piece then have the rest still in block out, so I am going through every piece and adding more and more detail. I tweaked the lighting and changed the temperature to give it a warm mood. I still have a long way to go, but I am making progress.

Any feedback is welcome!!!

• 3Dmendez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I spent the entire week adjusting all the sizes to actually be proportional to each other and creating extra assets. I figured out at least the size the knight is going to be and found a video on how to do the horse. I think I can finally move on and start adding the medium details like the beams, window panes, I think I will do the cards for the leaves also.  Its took a lot longer to finish the block-out and get all the sizes correct. But now that I do have them. I can start moving forward and making more progress.
    I know I am still missing the windows on the middle building and I am wondering what I can do to get more shots out of it because I don't want it to be just this single beauty shot of the environment. I was thinking of surrounding the entrance with trees. or maybe add steps that keep going down. behind the character to make it feel more interesting.Its going to be tricky because the level itself is actually really small. well... I think i'll leave that for future David to figure out.
  • 3Dmendez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Jungle Ruins Wip# 5

I haven't posted an update in a few days so here is where I am currently at. I split up most of the meshes into their own modular pieces and started assembling them in unreal using prefabs. I also found the perfect statue to use as a main reference and it actually matches the statue closely in the original concept. I got the major patterns on a trim sheet in place. depending on how the normal map looks, I may just cut the trim sheet up and throw the patterns on the actual buildings. it may not be the most productive and more heavy on my computer. but I think the blockout shapes from the trim sheet will look better baked with their own separate normal maps than relying solely on the normal maps for my detail. 

I can start on the trim sheet in Zbrush today or tomorrow depending on how I am feeling. well anyways, as always if anyone sees anything major about the project that I should fix. Please let me know. (I'm at the point where if its easier to fix any problems now. rather than realize it when I am assembling everything and have to go back and fix it.)

For some reason When ever I bake my light. the buildings have that weird black gradient from the bottom. I don't know if its the light map resolution(I don't touch light map res, until I am applying materials.) or something else.

• 3Dmendez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

KnightStatue Update

I envy the skill of character modelers and anyone that can manage to sculpt detailed statues quickly and well. The statue is coming along great, but it is a slow and time consuming task. With only 26 days of the challenge left, I hope I can Finnish on time. Majority of the time is on the statue. I am still working on the armor, hands, and I am having trouble making the flag seem like an flag. Hopefully I can finish the statue this week and I can continue with creating materials and plants. More than likely, I won't be able to Finnish the statue until next week with how long the hi-res, retopology, and uv'ing might take me. Here is a screenshot of what the statue currently looks like.

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    For the statue, I'd note you don't need smaller details that a character would normally have, since it is a decayed statue. It also looks to be 30 or 40 feet tall, so a blend of texturing and tileable textures might be the best choice, reducing the amount of work you need to put into the texturing. You might be able to get away with remesh or decimation master for the retopo of the statue due to it not being animated.
  • 3Dmendez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks thats what I ended up doing.
  • 3Dmendez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Almost Done!!!!!

Main Shot^- I uv'd and applied all the materials to my objects. I FINALLY got a acceptable mesh for the Knight statue with the uv's and retopo.(Thank god for zbrush's uv master.) I also decided to add some variation on in the grass height. All I have left to add to the scene is to create an interesting pedestal for the statue and create the banners. 

I decided to create a little area to the side of one of the buildings that supposed to look like an over grown resting area. Its supposed to be the area people would sometimes go, to relax and sit on the bench's. 

I think I am going to scrap the giant roots and over hanging vines, etc. and just stick with what I already have in my scene. with the challenge running out, I dont think I have the time to create all the roots, trees, vines, etc. I think tomorrow I'll touch up the materials to make the green and other colors pop more. and work on the banners.

• 3Dmendez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I finished the flag banners. I think for the last 2 days of the challenge I'll work on lighting and might add some particle effects or light shafts or something to help enhance the scene.

• 3Dmendez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

FINNISHED!!!!

Finished my environment for the Challenge!!!! This was hard for me in multiple ways. I wanted to push myself to learn and only use 3dsMax instead of Maya. I am excited for the next challenge and thanks to all the help and suggestions others gave me!!!