For my term project at Think Tank, I re-created Heather Theurer's piece
in 3D in 5 weeks.
Phases of work
- 1.25 weeks on model blockout
- 1 week on sculpting
- 1.75 weeks on texturing
- .5 weeks on lighting
- .5 weeks on post-processing
This isn’t a perfect estimate, as I found myself fixing lights throughout the entire 5 weeks after each render, or going back to fix the sculpt after applying textures.
The software tools I used
- Maya for modeling
- Mudbox for sculpting
- Substance Painter for tileable textures e.g. balcony marble, tunnel soil, chair leather
- Photoshop for hand-painted textures e.g. playing cards, notes such as “Please eat me” and “Drink me”, hair cards for the flamingo feathers.
- Mari for projecting and hand-painting textures such as displacement and diffuse maps for the face, arms and hands of Alice and the Hatter.
- XGen Interactive Groom for all hair and fur
- Maya V-Ray for lighting and rendering
- Photoshop for post-processing
Links to my Rookies
profiles. If you have time, I'd appreciate any C&Cs you may have. Cheers!