Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Subway Hallway Environment

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
ionicotaco polycounter lvl 4
Hey everyone!
Worked on this environment for the last month in my Environment Art class. Learned about modularity, tiling textures, and all that good stuff! I used a reference I found on Pinterest to then discover that the picture was a screenshot from the game Mirror's Edge. So I had to in a way make the environment better than the picture. I think I achieved a lot over this month and learned a lot of stuff that is going to help me with future projects. Really liked how the environment turned out but I would like some feedback on it. Thanks, everyone!

Reference

Replies

• shabba
    Offline / Send Message
    shabba polycounter lvl 15
    Looks like a single material at a variety of different scales over some simple geometry and a puddle. No reference, or mirrors edge screen provided. No set dressing. And emissives /w pink light. 

Not sure what kind of feedback your looking for.
  • Olingova
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator
    Looks nice but i think the ref is so simple itself that there's not much to add/ say :) technically it looks good and is really close to the ref, but if u wanna go to next level i suggest you add more variation from your own; break some lamps, add props somewhere... These water puddles and leaks for example are already really good!
  • ionicotaco
    Offline / Send Message
    @shabba I am just asking for like ways I can improve it. The last picture is the reference which is a screenshot from Mirror's Edge. 

• ionicotaco
    Offline / Send Message
    @Olingova  Yeah that is what I mean I want to take it to the next level exactly. Going to use those suggestions and other feedback I got to make it better. Thanks!
  • ionicotaco
    Offline / Send Message
    @shabba Updated the post to write that bottom picture was the reference that was my mistake.
  • Olingova
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator
    One lill things that looks really weird (in the mirrors edge ref too) to me is the junction between the tiles column and the grid roof; it's too obvious that it's just the pillar mesh going straight trough the grid mesh, maybe i would add a lill transition there.

Again, to make it more interesting; i guess broken stuff / used or something else will help. Clean and "perfect" place can be boring, in real life too. Broken stuff tell a story, dropped props can tell a story too. I cannot find that article on "80.lv" that explained it perfectly so i ll have to try by myself; if you wanna catch people attention on your work; mark of human intervention is the best. It's the same in real life; most of the times; perfect objects/environments can be seen as "soul less" . Human intervention can also start to tell a story without words... Anyway, i hope you got what i meant :)

• ionicotaco
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, you are right the pillar looks weird going straight through the fence. Also, I get what you mean. Will start adding those little details into the scene. Thanks!!
  • RustySpannerz
    Offline / Send Message
    RustySpannerz polycounter lvl 14
    I actually thought the ref was a photograph. I think you need to somehow get that dramatic look with the saturated colour. I would also maybe try and find a way to come up with a nice composition in the scene. Some sort of focal point, maybe a couple of props that make it look like a homeless person lives there. A trolley or something. You could probably push the lighting to be more dramatic too, maybe have sharp shadows from the lights above the grating. There's nothing wrong with what you've done, but it just needs to be pushed further into being a more interesting piece. 
  • Stefmon
    Offline / Send Message
    Stefmon polycounter lvl 8
    The concrete area above could do with grafiiti or something to make it more grungy, or posters and light to look more alive. The corridor is super long so putting something interesting at the end could make it seem more functional; you're not meant to hang about but get to the end. You could add something at the end of the hallway like posters, screens or some kind of emissive screen like in the ref.
    A friend of mine would put small details on cars like dusty finger prints or soap stains from where it's been rubbed with a cloth. You could do small things like that in areas of interest, around posters or screens, with deferred decals (if you're in unreal engine).
    If you wanted to deviate from the concept, you could even bust into one of those walls and add a shop or something sticking out (again, im just thinking of underpasses :sweat_smile: )  Just ideas, character artist here.

TLDR: The composition is already there because of the concept and the walls look good but plain. You could add character, detail props, and even deviate from the concept by adding a section. The gray areas of concrete would benefit from being made interesting.
  • Stefmon
    Offline / Send Message
    Stefmon polycounter lvl 8
    p.s. If you're in Unreal, you could try using that emissive as lighting, instead of the point lights 
    got pic from here
  • ionicotaco
    Offline / Send Message
    @RustySpannerz Yeah I was thinking of adding more props to the scene because it looks empty. Really like the idea of the homeless person living there. Yeah the lighting still needs some work so the suggestion you gave me will be really helpful.
    Thanks for the feedback!
  • ionicotaco
    Offline / Send Message
    @Stefmon I can make the area above more grungy or dirty. I was going to add since the walls look kind of empty like those big frames they have in like New York's subways. Like you said will add some stuff to the end too. Yes I am using Unreal Engine so will add more decals then. As for the shop I don't know but I think is a great idea. Also thanks for the heads up on the emissive I totally forgot to turn that on.
    Thanks!!