Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Bladerunner Deckard's Binoculars

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Soldeus polycounter lvl 10
Hello!. I've been working for a month or so in my spare time on the classic bladerunner binoculars(ref below). I wanted to make some simple prop with some tricky parts to dust off my modelling skills since it's been quite a while since I've worked on a hardsurface prop!.

Modelling in the front piece proved a bit tricky on the upper right corner since there were a lot of intersections between cylindrical shapes, but I think I managed to get it quite clean!(Always room for improvement, especially in topology cleanness, but it's working fine!). Here is a pic from the finished highpoly model

I'm currently working on the lowpoly and making some test UV's/Bakes at the same time to make sure everything bakes as it should.

When I'm done with the bakes I plan on making some painted metal material with some chipping/scratches slider in SD and finish it within Substance Painter.

Any advice and critics are more than welcome!.

Replies

• Soldeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just finished Unwrapping this beauty and I finally got a perfectly clean bake. I can see spots where I should've added more tris but that's a lesson for the next project. Now I gotta tidy up this UV's since right now it's just packed with iPackThat for a quick test, and now I gotta puzzle them up properly.

This is how the normal + ao bake looks like!.

Ended up being 7.7k tris. Could for sure afford to go for 12-13k and still be a reasonable amount, but as I said, lesson learned!.
  • jlvwm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jlvwm polycounter lvl 3
    Looking forward to this project being finished. I am a big fan of the movie, and your working is coming along nicely. Good luck!
  • Soldeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! Glad you liked the progress so far. I'm a big fan too so I'm gonna try to be as close to the movie as possible and make it justice ^^.
  • Soldeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've made a lot of progress on this!. I'm close to calling this done. Going to wait and see if someone has any critics or comments before closing this up!. Right now left I only need to duplicate the cloned parts of the mesh(I only texture one of each, like the screws). Add the actual crystals from the lenses, and take some beauty shots with marmoset!.

• Soldeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Model is finished!. It was an awesome learning experience. Marmoset Viewer available in my artstation page! https://artbypinkman.com/

• MarcoAntonio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MarcoAntonio polycounter lvl 6
    :smiley:

Hello there!

....Good job soldeus!! I just told you What I thought. Sorry for not finding this post before.
  • Soldeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey hi!. I really appreciate the comments you gave me at the discord. Thanks for everything!. 
  • MarcoAntonio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MarcoAntonio polycounter lvl 6
    Don´t worry mate!! Roughness map is something difficult to get right. Details are troublesome as well. In future projects you will get better results. Try to gather references about the materials you want to define and how they get damaged with the time and use. At the end is just a matter of experience.