Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Darksiders 2 "Death" Real-Time Model

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
jmiles interpolator
Been working on this project for a while now in my spare time.  The first intent was to get a 3D print done, but I need to do more research on that, however I want to hit an improved level of sculpt, real-time texture work and presentation.  Tohan Kim, Joe Madureira, and Brian "Bobo" Jones are my major influences.  Here are some WIPS of the sculpt and bakes.  Crits and suggestions welcome.

Replies

• PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    I'd enjoy seeing this textured, you planning on taking it further?
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Hey man, I think it looks pretty cool so far!  I wish you had posted much earlier on in your development, because I think the base anatomy (probably the most important part) needs refinement to nail the shapes death had.  Without even looking at any reference and just off the top of my head, his muscle bellies look too large (like inflated), the back where the tricep meets the shoulder looks off, and in general I feel like he his looking very short and not as athletic as he should look.  looks like the head has too much depth from the side too.  Anyway, just a few quick things I notice right off the bat.  Good work so far, and I look forward to seeing more!
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    Thanks for the crit @BradMyers82.  Yeah, I should have put him up here sooner w/ the sculpt stage before getting to the game res mesh-- the insertion of the tricep is off and I realize that now-- and perhaps I could have elongated some of his features more-- or, perhaps they are already elongated but the armor covering up his waist is making him feel squat.. I'm not sure-- here are some color WIPs inside Marmoset 3

• MarcoAntonio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MarcoAntonio polycounter lvl 6
    this is gold!!! Super nice work!!! However, as BradMyers82 said, there may be some anatomy problems there. I am not a character artist so I don't really know which parts are wrong. What I can say is that , in spite of the fact it look awesome, it does looks quite strange in form. Especially the head.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    yea, man I totally understand!  I almost didn't comment, cause I knew it would be annoying stuff to fix at this point, but since you were asking for crits I figured I might as well.  Materials are looking cool man, reminds me of a hand painted miniature how you rendered him out.
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    @BradMyers82 See, i agree about the figurine look, but I'm wondering if that's what he was going for? I kept looking at the texture trying to nail down what my issue with it was, and you nailed it on the head.

now, mind you, nothing wrong with it, just wondering if that figurine look was what was intended; If so, Bravo!

If not, I'd take a look at brightening it up a bit, adding some gradients, and pulling back on some of the surface detailing.

Thanks for the update, I was interested in seeing how this would be textured.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Couple of things, first off I think your execution of the piece was great, you really nailed a lot of the aspects of the character's look and personality.

Again like others I have to echo what Brad said regarding the anatomy. Also proportionally, it feels to me like a more 'youthful' Death, something to do with the height is throwing it off for me (I envisioned him as more of a taller, hulking figure.) I also think you could go for some color variation in areas to break it up, e.g. Mottling on the skin, some grunge on the fabric, etc. (You did say it was a wip though)

Anatomy is feckin difficult and you still have a badass piece here, so good work :)