Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Shelter. WIP

Ask
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Ask polycounter lvl 4
Hey guys! My name is Alex and together with my friend Mark we decided to start a blog.
We currently working in gamedev studio that makes mobile games. 
So in our free time we like to do something, that we don't do at work =) 
Texturing, vfx, modeling a cylinders with more than 3 sides, 
work with game engine more, than just make prefabs e.t.c)))
That's why we started working on this scene. 

We using Cinema 4d and game engine called Unigine 2. 
We love this softwares! And we will post our pipeline and some our tips and tricks that helps us.

Here you can see our work in progress scene, rendered in Unigine 2. There is still a lot of work and 
we currently at the stage of making props.
After this stage we will make posts about game engine and all related stuffs.

If you have any questions or suggestions, please feel free to talk with us!
Also you can follow us on artstation
https://www.artstation.com/ask
https://www.artstation.com/quiero
Cheers!

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    This looks dope! One thing which pops out to me is the Red Bull painting. If the red paint on the lettering was wearing away, it would be showing the grey metal underneath. I don't think the red letters would have been painted on top of the yellow paint.
  • defragger
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    @Ashervisalis the letters would most likely be painted on top of the yellow paint. Regardless you still have a point because if paint gets chipped off it would not only affect the red paint layer but all paint layers and bare metal should be showing like you said.
    As it looks now this would only be the case if red stickers were used on yellow paint.

This is a great start. I'm looking forward to the finished scene. You guys should check out the images of Pyestock if you haven't already.
  • dzibarik
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    this is a good beginning. Is it a trial version of the engine or do they have a free version? I was interested in trying it out but didn't want to waste my time doing my scene on the trial as I may run out of time.
  • Ask
    Offline / Send Message
    Ask polycounter lvl 4
    This looks dope! One thing which pops out to me is the Red Bull painting. If the red paint on the lettering was wearing away, it would be showing the grey metal underneath. I don't think the red letters would have been painted on top of the yellow paint.
    Thank you! It's good remark, maybe we could do it more obvious, but as Dafragger already mentioned, we thought, that sponsors can be change constantly and this could be done as a separate layer on top of the main paint.
    We will have this in mind. Maybe we will not change this asset, but we will take into account it with our future assets
  • Ask
    Offline / Send Message
    Ask polycounter lvl 4
    defragger said:
    @Ashervisalis the letters would most likely be painted on top of the yellow paint. Regardless you still have a point because if paint gets chipped off it would not only affect the red paint layer but all paint layers and bare metal should be showing like you said.
    As it looks now this would only be the case if red stickers were used on yellow paint.

This is a great start. I'm looking forward to the finished scene. You guys should check out the images of Pyestock if you haven't already.
    Thank you! We didn't saw Pyestock before, and glad you told us about this) Good reference for the rear part of our hangar, coz there will be a lot of mechanisms and pipes. 
  • Ask
    Offline / Send Message
    Ask polycounter lvl 4
    dzibarik said:
    this is a good beginning. Is it a trial version of the engine or do they have a free version? I was interested in trying it out but didn't want to waste my time doing my scene on the trial as I may run out of time.
    Thanks! We are cooperating with Unigine. I tried Unigine before a few times for 2 months and really liked it. But I haven't seen someone who use this engine for making scenes like in other common engines. So we decided that we MUST make our project on this engine! And Unigine team liked our proposal. They are very open to communication and flexible in every respect of using Unigine. So just contact them and discuss everything)
  • Ask
    Offline / Send Message
    Ask polycounter lvl 4
    Here is my new prop for our scene 
  • VisualTech48
    Offline / Send Message
    VisualTech48 triangle
    I like the design really a lot, nice scene, and the prop is really neat, however, maybe a bit more colour variation, and rust, even some paint pop out?

• Ask
    Offline / Send Message
    Ask polycounter lvl 4
    @VisualTech48 Thank you! Yes, I agree with you, rust and cracked paint can improve this. I will keep this in mind for sure! The only thing is that there is soooooo much props still needs to be done, so maybe I'll come back to this after the stage when all this props will be in scene. I don't know for sure where it will be and how good we will se it, so maybe there is no reason to spend more time on this if it will stand in a dark corned)) Thank you for the feedback!
  • Ask
    Offline / Send Message
    Ask polycounter lvl 4

Hi guys!
    I finished new prop- old TV. I started to make it a few weeks ago, made highpoly and then switched to another models.

And a few days before I saw this AMAAAAZING work, done by Tahnee Peterson Stuart. She made this TV too and inspired me to finish my model)

Since I did not have good references (when I modeled it, before I saw Tahnee's work), I made this model not so accurate and I changed some detail regarding to the real Hitachi TV.

And here is the first tip I want to share with you. I found the order of the holes in the loudspeaker quite interested to model them.

You have several rings of holes from outside to center and amount of holes needs to decrease each row. And with Cinema 4d it can be made in a few clicks. First I made one cloner with one central hole. Then I made second cloner, that creates outer circle of holes (72)

Then I made third cloner and set it to "Blend" between two previous  cloners. And here I can set the amount of rows. Less than minute and you have parametric setup with a lot of properties! That's why I love C4D =)

Second thing maybe not so new for most of you, but this is for the beginners. When I strated to learn 3D, I tried to make everything as one mesh!
    And it was a challenge sometimes =) Then I saw a cheat in Evermotion models... they used "floaters" a lot! It was a huge opening for me and I started to use this everywhere when I can. Especially if you making a highpoly for baking, as long as shading looks smooth- you're good!
    It gives you opportunity to non destructive modeling and make changes on fly, quickly add new holes and detailes e.t.c

And now working hard on the next set of assets...
    Cheers!

• MarkKassikhin

Hi all. I'm Mark. Here is my piece. 

Concept, Idea.

The idea of creating a ship turbine was initial for me and after this we started to expand this idea further. That’s how we decided to make a hangar scene (Shelter Project in the future.)

I wanted to make something technological, complicated, to show my ability to delve into the details. I decided the engine should not be a reality. Because the idea implies to be not realistic but a fable and I don’t want to make technic mistakes in some joints. That’s why not real engine was the best option for me.

Started with a search for references. Used the Google Pinterest and Flickr. Also helped and inspired a lot Paul Perera’s Free NASA Space Pack. While I was looking for references,  I had a great desire to visit the Museum of Cosmonautics in Moscow. For inspiration.

Composition

The composition was chosen like a classical for the turbine. Radial and cylindrical tapering to the middle.

Highpoly

I divided the turbine into 3 parts. Back end looks like a Boeing engine and there is a nozzle. After that, I wanted to make a block with fine details, some pipes, wires, and machinery.

The second block has a rhythm and pattern. Here, the total density of details is not lost. But since it is rhythmic, the viewer perceives it easier and it does not complicate perception.

Then the front large part. I wanted to show it massively and center the composition here. It should be aerodynamic. By this point, I realized that this engine belongs to a ground vehicle. And it must have aerodynamic properties. Based on this I decided that I needed to come up with a casing.

Casing.

The casing could be made an open type or closed. I thought it would be weird if I close the engine massive corpus because all details will not be seen. That’s why I made it open and light. It would be great if there was an opportunity to take off this case.  Yeah exactly, I will create the scene with the disassembled engine and removed casing, as if it is being repaired.

If the casing will be open-type, then the engine must also be located outside the ship and not inside.  I began to think about how to implement it. I remembered Star Wars and Anakin’s podracer.

I realized that this should be used somewhere in the desert, on sandy grounds. It should fly on short distance from the ground, and pull the ship behind it.

So the turbine should be able to lower into the ground when the ship stops. I started thinking about how to do it.  It can be the skiing, paws or wheels. At some point, I noticed the cage of a desert buggy. So if the turbine can fall to the ground and it is not strong, so it can be a reinforcing structure.

Okay, it’s will be easy.  Take the cage of a buggy and attach to the engine.

So I wanted to show that this ship has a pilot.  And I attached to cage the shovel and ax, like on the off-road cars. Also, I wanted to add light and smooth shapes. This should be contrasted with a lot of metal parts. I added the fabric under the front part.  I don’t know how it can be used, we will assume that it protect something important from sand and dust and “quick fix”.
    It seemed to be amusing to fasten top and bottom with luggage elastic strap. Also, it was necessary to think about lights illuminating the road at night. I attached the searchlight by the front pipe of the cage.

The last thing left to think about is how the casing will be attached to the ship. I decided to make it like an excavator’s arm. And created the holder for the arm.

So highpoly is done. Can start to retopology unwrap bake and texturing.

For the lowpoly model, I had no hard polycount limits. Most elements of highpoly were procedural and retop it was not a problem. I just turned off bevel modifiers and in many cases it gives me ready-to-use lowpoly. Many parts were created by radial cloner so I just needed to retop one piece. And so on.   

Unwrap UV. I decided to split it into 5 equal parts by volume so that there is not much difference in texel. Engine by 3 parts and casing with cage.

I made the bake using marmoset toolbag and I remembered that all these parts fit together, so when I baked  AO map of each part, I placed all highpoly parts into highpoly slot.

I baked as usual 5 maps. Normal, object normal, curvature, position and AO. And import it to Substance Painter to the additional maps slots.

Texturing

For the texturing, I used the references that I used for modeling and also found more detailed references of some parts and joints.
    The turbine was divided by 3 UDIM for the convenience of texturing and to be able to see it all at once.
    I couldn’t find the correct pipeline right away. I started texturing some parts separately, using references.  And turned out that it’s crap. After this, I decided that it would be a good idea to work from general to particular and make some color composition. I figured out the general tone, it will be some warm, dirty and grunge. I want to show that the engine was used.

Later, assigned colors to the general parts and chose the type of metal for it. I arranged contrast spots on some small elements and made them bright and colorful. Then began to work through all the parts with the texture and pattern on them.

About tricks, it is worth noting this welding seems. It has a cool gradient to blue and purple. It looks great and gives a sense of human intervention. It's a cool contrast when something made by factory is clean and fresh, and then becomes habitable. It can be seen that this man has worked over or upgrade it. This is awesome tool of storytelling. Also, dust and dirt helps to understand what happened to this detail and that it is not new and it was located some time in a damp room or salty climate. 

About dirt, I decided not to rush to do it. Because the amount should be approximately the same on all props in scene. It will looks weird if some parts have dirt too much, and some parts will be clean. Will postpone it at that moment when all props will be prepared.
    Also, I really like to use some letterings, logos etc. This is a great tool for draw the viewer’s attention. This creates a contact, which is probably the most important thing.  Fonts and labels are good tools for maintaining the contact. The viewer begins to read this and understand what it’s mean. And from afar they serve as a kind of digital noise and it helps to increase detailing, not due to geometry.

So having finished with the turbine, I proceed to texturing cage and casing.

About how to do the casing I thought a few days. There was a thought of making it look like the armor of old warplane with the bullet holes. but I didn’t like it. Then an idea arose, why not fill the case with a large logo? I began to develop this thought and remembered about Dakar Rally.  It inspired me and I called Alex and said: “Dude we will make not a simple turbine in a hangar. let’s make a racing ship that once participated in the race! And the owner of the ship and hangar is a racer”. Alex liked the idea and we started working on it. If this is sports theme, then how can it be without a Redbull, lol? I filed the casing with a large logo. Bright colors look pretty. Later I placed the Dakar’s logo and added the year to indicate the time interval to a viewer.  If ship will be racing so the driver must have a racing number.

About render here is simple. If the pipeline for the engine so render was a marmoset toolbag.

Take the standard hdri with warm reflections, add a couple point lights and it’s done!

Cheers!
  • Ask
    Offline / Send Message
    Ask polycounter lvl 4

@MarkKassikhin Nice dude) Glad you finally post it)

• Olingova
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator
    Really cool breakdown, thanks!!
  • MarcoAntonio
    Offline / Send Message
    MarcoAntonio polycounter lvl 6
    holy f$%&%!!!!! Amazing!!! Some time ago I would had liked to make an engine as well. Your work in this matter has taught me a lot about how to do it. Thank you!
  • MarkKassikhin
  • Ask
    Offline / Send Message
    Ask polycounter lvl 4

Hi! So I've been working on a several different sets of assets for some time and I think that one of them is done.

Here is viewer with low setting to be able to upload it here, coz artstation gives you only 50Mb for the viewer. Garbage bags looks so clean, coz I will add dust and dirt in the Unigine via decals. To make it independent from the world orientation of bag.

https://www.artstation.com/embed/12538765

So I wanted to make boxes very similar to the real one. And don't wanted to make it like cube with bevels and texture it. I started to search methods how I can make them easily. I found good web site, where you can find a lot of different boxes and schemes how to fold them.
    http://www.akeygroup.com/folding-boxes/regular-boxes.html

Cinema 4d has good preset "Fold My Design!" Where you can make this box flat and then it will fold it for you. But I realized that it gives you not the best result for the baking it to lowpoly. Topology not so clean and no bevels. And I ended up with this setup- just simple plane+ cloth surface + 2 bevel deformers. One of them creates bevels on 90 degree angles on the extruded edges, second one creates final bevels on the cloth surface.

This setup is very usefull and it's kinda "Sheet Metal" from Fusion 360, but with more flexibility (I feel myself more comfortable with polygons and points, than with CAD data and parametes)
    And here is result 

Then I used a preset from the Cinema 4d's content browser and made hipoly big boxes in minutes! 

Also I made a tileable texture of nuts and bolts to fill some boxes with them. It will be used in my next model I working on now- Workbench area.

First I wanted to make it fully procedural in Substance Designer, but then I saw a calendar and realized that I have not so much time till the deadline and to be honest this texture is not the main thing in our scene to waste a lot of time on it, so I made it quick.
    I created this setup in C4D, so I was able to make this nuts tileable and not intersect each other. Then I baked it on plane in the Marmoset (height map, normal, world normal, AO, curvature, position) and made the albedo and roughness in the Substance Designer using this information.

I made a Cloner, mode- Grid array 3x3 rows. Then I grouped all nuts into Null object and made the instance of this Null object. Used this instance as input to Cloner. It allows me to freely move this nuts and watch how it tiles

About the dumpster.
    I made this garbage bags in Marvelous using the custom avatar, that been made in C4D. I just skulpted the capsule, and distributed different types of geometry on it's surface using Cloner.

Garbage texture was made in Quixel Mixer in 10 minutes. It's a perfect solution for tasks like this and saving you HUGE amount of time

For the graffiti on the dumpster I used this online generator https://fontmeme.com/graffiti-fonts/

It's all for today =) Working hard on the next stuff
    Cheers!

• Olingova
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator
    Super inspiring!!
    Love the attention to the details such as the box making... Thanks for sharing all of that!
    I'm a bit curious; where do you usually find the labels for these boxes? Do you make them yourself of find free to use patterns? Always had a hard time finding good one to quickly texture garbage and containers..
  • Kainkun
    Offline / Send Message
    Kainkun node
    @Ask
    I like that TV. you talked about floaters? I'm not sure what you mean by that.
  • Ask
    Offline / Send Message
    Ask polycounter lvl 4
    @Olingova Thanks, man! I usually searching at first in google and pinterest, also here is free pictures, I found here stamps for the boxes. https://www.freepik.com/free-photos-vectors/travel-stamps 
    Here is some labels generator. I didn't actually fully understand what this labels means, but it looks good to me =)https://label.tec-it.com/en/Group/Odette/OTL1_Packaging
    Sometimes you can find many good things on websites that do not refer to computer graphics directly. For example sites that sell machinery and equipment... They usually making good photos of their products and you can find there good references, labels ... there is many sites that actually selling real labels for all types of production spheres and they don't making watermarks on their photos, so we can use it in our works.
    For my next assets I need some tech drawings and I found them here https://www.northern-lights.com/media/PDFs/drawing_pdfs/Technicold/drawings/AIR HANDLERS/PDF/RA18VB HIGH VELOCITY AIR HANDLER 18000 BTU .PDF  Just remove unnecessary part of link to get to the actual website
    Hope it helps :wink:
  • Ask
    Offline / Send Message
    Ask polycounter lvl 4
    @Kainkun Thanks) It's just separate part of geometry that floating above the main surface, but it looks as a solid part when you baking it to lowpoly mesh. Sometimes it's easier than fighting with topology to get clean result without shading artifacts. And also you can freely move this floaters and change your design on the fly.  Here is more about that https://polycount.com/discussion/154841/tutorial-floating-geo-on-awkward-shapes

• Kainkun
    Offline / Send Message
    Kainkun node
    @Ask
    wow, i would have never thought of that, thanks :)
  • Ask
    Offline / Send Message
    Ask polycounter lvl 4
    Hi guys! Here is my update. This workbench will stand in repair zone in our scene. Just modeling and texturing and think there is not so much to tell about this time.

• Ask
    Offline / Send Message
    Ask polycounter lvl 4

Hi!
    I didn't post anything for a long time, so here is my piece that I working on right now. It's kinda middle poly, then I will easily transform it to high poly and low poly. And will make a bigger post about this piece after it will be finised. Andrew Averkin's kitbash pack was soooooo useful! I used it as a Lego parts to find my idea, used a non uniform scale to make some parts fit their places, then remodeled all from scratch to make it nice and clead and easy to work with. 
    The funniest part ahead. UV, baking, texturing. I realy like this part)