Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Finished] Last of us scene

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
polygons polycounter lvl 4
I am working on this scene in ue4. It is based off of this great concept art by John Sweeney https://www.artstation.com/artwork/LYxP 
This is going to be my first portfolio piece to look for a job as an environment artist so I would really appreciate any feedback and advice.  Keep in mind there are a lot of small objects I have not made yet but I would love to hear your thoughts on what I have here so far. Thank you! 

Replies

• polygons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

its been a while but im still working on this. added more stuff and fixed the lighting more.
  • TaulNotShort
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TaulNotShort polycounter lvl 5
    What a cool concept to use! One thing that really sticks out to me are the clothes in the closet spaces: in your scene it's very dark compared to the concept which might make it harder to see all the little details like shoes and the box of books. The posters are looking a little too clean as well. Adding some tears and scratches and whatnot could really help!

• polygons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What a cool concept to use! One thing that really sticks out to me are the clothes in the closet spaces: in your scene it's very dark compared to the concept which might make it harder to see all the little details like shoes and the box of books. The posters are looking a little too clean as well. Adding some tears and scratches and whatnot could really help!

Thanks Taul I completely agree and I will definitely work on that!
  • Finnn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finnn greentooth
    Looks great already. I really like the light from the window, how is it set up?
    I'd say you could work on the blanket and make it more detailed. It could use more variation in the height (higher, more visible wrinkles)
    Could make a big difference on your scene because it takes up alot of the scree space.  :)

• polygons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finnn said:
    Looks great already. I really like the light from the window, how is it set up?
    I'd say you could work on the blanket and make it more detailed. It could use more variation in the height (higher, more visible wrinkles)
    Could make a big difference on your scene because it takes up alot of the scree space.  :)

Hi Fin thank you! I have a directional light and a skylight.  The things that really helped with bringing light into the room was the sky light bounces. I updated my unreal just to get that feature because it helps so much with realistic indoor lighting. I also have a portal on the window to help direct the light there a bit more. And yes I completely agree. I think it looks too neat so i will work on that for sure. thank you for the critique!
  • polygons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Lots of little changes. Still have many things to add and fix. Critiques are always appreciated!
  • polygons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More small changes. To do list: Redo the mirror. Redo the box next to the mirror. Fix some textures that are too low res. Fix the trash can. Fix some baking issues. add more clothes in the dresser. Add more small items everywhere. Possibly redo the floor texture to be realistic and not just a weird dirty mess to match the reference. and just making things more consistently dirty. Any critiques would be greatly appreciated 

• FreneticPonies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3
    Wow great lighting! The bed looks a bit straight edged in places, for the rest of the messy scene the comforter seems nigh unnaturally straight and tidy.
  • polygons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Frenetic I agree I will work on that.
  • polygons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More progress. As always critiques are appreciated. 

• RachidJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RachidJ greentooth
    looking great man! good job!
  • polygons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RachidJ said:

looking great man! good job!

thanks Rachid I appreciate it
  • polygons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm ready to call this one done for now. I would still definitely appreciate critiques though! Thank you all for your help
    ^UE4 Based off a concept by John Sweeney 
    Feel free to follow me on my artstation if you want to see more of my work in the future. thanks