Home Technical Talk

Help needed, not sure what's wrong

Monsterr
null
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Monsterr null
Hello I'm not sure if this is the right section so excuse me if its not.

I've started reworking my old project of AR7. I created the first part a high poly and low poly and proceeded to bake it in Marmoset Toolbag 3 because of its amazing baker. I did few project with it already so I know it works. I baked the maps and the results are...well, they're all over the place.

So this how the low poly looks. 

that's the UV map

this are the high poly parts I want to bake onto the low poly 

and the results are here

First I thought it maybe a problem with the baker in marmoset, but SP2 baker does the same thing. After that I tried to redo the uv's. still the same result, lastly I reworked the naming in 3DS Max but that didn't help. I feel like its something simple and I'm just stupid, but I have no idea how to go and fix it

Replies

• Zeist
    Offline / Send Message
    Zeist polycounter lvl 8
    @Monsterr

Edited this heavily since I was stupid.

Looks like it's baking fine to me - for the parts that have a hi-poly to grab info from.

Your missing the hi-poly for the main body and the baker is trying to project some info back from it, since it's hitting nothing or hitting bits and pieces of the hi poly parts, it'll create those errors.

Example -
    On the right, baked with only rings, on the left, baked hipoly for the complete model (just lowpoly beveled)

So yeah finish modelling your hi-poly (just test it by duplicating low poly so far, and beveling those edges quickly), re-bake and should be fine. Check and modify your offset aswell though.

With that front cylinder part and the rings, you're going to have issues with that baking (you can see the distortion in pic above, along with how it runs up the walls) with the split edges/uv's - paint skew isn't going to work there, either add edge loop to try to lessen the distortion or just model the rings in, even if it's clipping the rest of the low poly and not watertight because it's going to look bad the way you've got it happening atm imo.