Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Colt M1911 WWI

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Lestat polycounter lvl 2
Hi, please critique

main question is it metal enough ?, when I published it on artstation I was pointed out that it too matte, on other hand some photo ref looking matte with layer of dirt, or it just how it looks on photo not in real life ?, there also some cool Colts from other artists which look matte but they I may assume may be in style painted metal or have a lot of highlight details which overall give metal feel

I made quick test renders with adding more glossiness in marmoset to whole model, and they feel more metal in comparison

solved

maybe other things which looks not good ?

Marmoset Viewer and renders - https://www.artstation.com/artwork/3Ql5D

old

new
old

new

Replies

• OFPismySOP
    Offline / Send Message
    OFPismySOP polycounter lvl 6
    I don't know what they're talking about, I think it looks like the old school 1911's to me in terms of finish. The barrel needs rifling though, and I would add more wear marks to the edges. If you wanted to add to the G.I. look, give it the "idiot swipe" on the slide stop. Looking great so far!
  • Lestat
    Offline / Send Message
    Lestat polycounter lvl 2
    OFPismySOP 
    Thanks for comment ! , 

I assume we are on disputable territory, it’s about "selling" the material (as metal in my case) and how juicy textures looks, so I will make properly new more glossy variant and then will decide to "play safe" or not, as I will be looking for work with it

"and I would add more wear marks to the edges"
    yea I thought about more damaged look but decided to more subtle one as on some references, it’s a bit more tricky to me because it’s not in black or dark color

"The barrel needs rifling though"
    one of the intentional simplifications alongside with lower part of hammer, which wasn’t intentional is absent half circle cut on right side handle wood, I somehow managed to forgot about it on early stages, too much focusing on back and left side

• AxtelSturnclaw
    Offline / Send Message
    AxtelSturnclaw polycounter lvl 6
    I agree with others on the metalness; it's slightly on the wrong side of the uncanny valley.  There's just something missing - I can't really put my finger on it, maybe try a less uniform wear pattern?

Here are some references I dug up, maybe you can identify what needs to be changed.

• Lestat
    Offline / Send Message
    Lestat polycounter lvl 2
    AxtelSturnclaw
    Thank you for your feedback
    "maybe try a less uniform wear pattern?"
    on micro level (at close) I think mostly it’s at least ok, but on macro (at distance) it might be not much highlighted and noticeable, things to think about
  • AxtelSturnclaw
    Offline / Send Message
    AxtelSturnclaw polycounter lvl 6
    Additionally, you may want to define the space between the barrel and the slide, as right now it looks like the slide's geometry is intersecting with the barrel.  Reference attached:

• Lestat
    Offline / Send Message
    Lestat polycounter lvl 2
    AxtelSturnclaw
    Thanks ! , now I noticed it... not good
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    Lestat said:

main question is it metal enough ?, when I published it on artstation I was pointed out that it too matte, on other hand some photo ref looking matte with layer of dirt, or it just how it looks on photo not in real life ?

Most artists (and ADs) think guns are supposed to be shiny, for some reason. Most aren't. WW2 US-issue 1911s, and most military guns you will see had a parkerized finish. They dip the metal into acid for a while to develop a durable, matte coating.

Again, most people seem to have a weird idea that guns are all made of unfinished stainless steel or something. Just not the case. I really recommend doing some research into gun finishes and building reference folders of them in various states of age and distress.
  • Lestat
    Offline / Send Message
    Lestat polycounter lvl 2
    Thanks for comment and advice ! 
    will definitely make deep investigation about WWI variants to be certain
  • Lestat
    Offline / Send Message
    Lestat polycounter lvl 2

question about metal look is solved
    eventually I had to dig a little info about metal finishes and not rely only on ref pictures

1. all original WWI colts wasn’t matte and have charcoal blued finish
    2. very early ones have very interesting finish which looked differently in direct and indirect light, later ones have more dull dark black finish

3. WWI Colts can have not original matte parkerized finish because of 
    Many were refinished during arsenal refurbishing during WW2, and many more have been incorrectly refinished since.