Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

lasgun wip

hello guys! im compared to most of you, relatively new to modelling. i always wanted to make my own games so i started to learn modelling and texturing.

heres a screen of my lasgun in blender, with normal map applied ( xnormal is giving me troubble atm, im totally new to using maps)

textures will come soon, i hope my second texture will be good.

critique and tips always welcome, im here to learn and improve after all ! :D

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2nneq0&s=5

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2cfyyxx&s=5

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Use IMGUR. Better quality and easier to link in directly.
  • stahl
  • stahl
  • theSixtyEight
    Offline / Send Message
    theSixtyEight polycounter lvl 7
    Make that metal darker (darker than paint) and add some big scale details (big but subtle blobs maybe)
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    if you put in front of the link, and behind, It will embed the image onto the forum. Much easier for people to review and provide feedback.

like so

LrS4SA3.jpg

It's generally best to work on the Diffuse, specular, and gloss all at the same time. When your texturing your defining materials and the relationship diffuse, Spec, and gloss have with each other is what defines that material. You'll get the best result if you work on their relationship to each other together at once.
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Your scope is like waaay to small, also i would heavily suggest adding a lot more detail in form of bolts and scratches in the normal since the actual shape is so simple.
    Also more variation in texture would be good. Color variation and dirt, make it not so evenly colored. The edge highlighting is pretty nice
  • stahl
    the proportions are spot on, those wont be changed. not my fault if the designers made it that small :V

i thought about putting the grunge and dirt layer at a higher opactity, but i fear that would take out the subtleness of it.

racer generally suggests keeping such things simple and barely noticeable...

as for the normal map... i have troubble with xnormal since i made the over 100k poly hipoly mesh, it gives me : "pls, set to any highpoly mesh visible" same message all the time, even though its set to visible in the checkbox in the highpoly meshes section
  • stahl
    im still learning the mapping, ill try out the diffuse specular etc soon. i didint make any untill now.

thanks for the critique!
  • stahl
    Make that metal darker (darker than paint) and add some big scale details (big but subtle blobs maybe)

i guess you mean the superstructure metal, since the gun is made up of 3 different metals. the scope type metal will be pretty shiny, unlike the darkblue and the darkgrey metal for the superstructure.

p.s. i darkened the metal, i dont like it. it kinda takes away the color variation within the whole texture...
  • stahl
    more pronounced grunge, darkened superstructure metal, and a second rust layer with bigger size but lower oppacity for the"big subtle blobs" in the texture:

q38Izrk.jpg
  • theSixtyEight
    Offline / Send Message
    theSixtyEight polycounter lvl 7
    well most of metals are dark..if I were you I would make differences among metals especially on spec and gloss. now the grip, scope and wear looks like plaster....dark diffuse low gloss and higher spec should do the trick on wear. On scope I would personally go for high spec, high gloss, and very dark diffuse.
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    stahl wrote: »
    the proportions are spot on, those wont be changed. not my fault if the designers made it that small :V

i thought about putting the grunge and dirt layer at a higher opactity, but i fear that would take out the subtleness of it.

racer generally suggests keeping such things simple and barely noticeable...

as for the normal map... i have troubble with xnormal since i made the over 100k poly hipoly mesh, it gives me : "pls, set to any highpoly mesh visible" same message all the time, even though its set to visible in the checkbox in the highpoly meshes section

After looking at some references, it looks like what you thought is a scope is no actual scope, just some kind of rail.

Here is a actual GW concept with a proper scope

Lasgun3.jpg

Its not the same model, but they use the same scope in whole 40k.

iron.png

It appears that the top of the trapezoid shapes are used to aim, it would be nonsense trying to look through a scope the size of a permanent marker anyways, maybe its the red laser marker they usually have.

Also, things like color variation need to be used very subtlety.
    Well most things are meant to be subtle and some things are there to break the uniformness. For the start the diffuse is pretty fine, youll learn with the time. Try out making a specular and put some detail in there are certain places. Then try out some light setups and see if you like how it came out.

you can modify your normals in NDO2 and easily add bolts and such, maybe check it out sometime

A 100k poly mesh can even considered an ingame model, current car models are that high. Either you didnt read right, or you did something wrong.
  • stahl
    a shot with the bump map (is that a specular ? what exactly is the bump?) somehow looks a bit shiny the paint mainly:
    tYG9NF4
  • stahl
    how do i put in specular map and gloss /bump map in marmoset simultaneously?tYG9NF4.jpgtYG9NF4
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    You have to save the Gloss map to the alpha channel of the specular. to do this, just copy the gloss to the clip board, Go into the channels tab in Photoshop, hit the "new layer" icon at the bottom if you don't already have an alpha, and paste it in.
  • stahl
    can you explain me the difference between gloss bump and specuar ? from what i see , gloss is just the less shiny version of specular, but what exactly is the bump ? how should i tweak them ?
  • r0tzbua
    Offline / Send Message
    r0tzbua polycounter lvl 8
    You can find a short but nice article on Gloss maps on Gamebanana here.

The basic difference between a specular map and a gloss map is, that the spec defines the specular highlight of a particular part of the map, while gloss map defines the width of the highlight (as seen in the tutorial).

Some info about normal maps (bump maps) from the Polycount wiki.
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Good read about materials that someone linked me to recently. http://www.manufato.com/?p=902

another good one, Even if your not in marmoset, That goes over what Diff, Normals, Spec, and Gloss do and how to manipulate them. http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/materials

Essentially: Diffuse is color information (like you've seen)

Normals change the way light hits the surface by "Faking" detail and form. "Per Pixel Light/shading" as EQ puts it.

Specular defines the specular reflection of the surface. it controls the intensity of the reflection and the color of it.

The gloss controls the specular highlight. The higher the gloss value, The smaller the highlight and the shinier the material looks. The lower the value the wider the highlight, the more matte it will look and appear rough.
  • Vertrucio
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    Think about how the weapon is actually constructed. Go beyond your current references, because the reference you're looking at is really low res and not really drawn with any kind of high detail modeling in mind. They don't put in much detail for designed for miniatures either.

For example, you've got these bolts on the side of the gun. Now, where's the seam for the panel that these bolts are holding together?
  • stahl
    here is the pretty much final result, with specular tweaked and finalized:

hElDS1q.jpg
  • illusion red
  • mkZ3R0
    Vertrucio is correct. You could very easy ad some seams to the metal by using nDo, without even thouching the highpoly and baking a new texture.

My general advice for rendering would be, don't use a background image. It is distracting from you work.

All in all you did a good texturing job. Only things I'm missing are grunge and ambient occlusion. And some texture seams are visible, e.g. at the stock.
  • stahl
    things like rust and dust ? i remember putting some dust and dirt onto it but very faintly, and ambient occlusion is part of the texture... wonder why its not apparent...

yeah i should have tried to hide the seam there better by making an indent or something like that,

thanks for the critique.
  • Tekoa
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoa polycounter lvl 4
    It is really interesting to see someone else creating something from Warhammer 40k. I am currently working on a Space Marine Bolter, which would actually be the first model I have made (I'm fifteen).
    Well anyway, great model, seems pretty spot on, good job.
  • stahl
    thanks , theres more of it comming, check the search for the bolter.
  • Cibo
    Offline / Send Message
    Cibo polycounter lvl 10
    http://wh40k.lexicanum.de/wiki/Datei:Laserriflem40.JPG#.Uwki6YXNthE

It really dont look like a scope. Maybe the Laser Pointer like mentioned.

My feedback:

The imperial eagle is an ornament. Make it bigger and with real geometry and it works wonder.

Make a prayer on the weapon in imperial gothic.

The muzzle is a bit to "sharp" maybe smooth it a little.

For the overall look, load the weapon with the ammo pack, its better for feedback.

The Ammo pack looks flat and very low poly. The texture looks odd and more like a failure. Smooth the Ammo pack a little becaus it has very sharp edges.

Dont save geometry for such a simple design.
    You have the Polygons so run riot and make it fency in the name of the emperor. :poly124: