Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Low Poly Gun: PPSH-41

Hi,

For school we needed to model a existing gun. I chose the PPSH-41. Now, I would like to get some feedback from everyone out here. I'm not yet satisfied with the result but I don't know really how to improve it.

There are still some things I'll add in the normalmap, but here is already a WIP.

wip_22.jpg
wip_21.jpg

Replies

• ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    Well if this is suppose to be a low poly I can see some areas that need some more optimizing. I cant see the back area too well but it looks very heavy as far as polys. The holes on the barrel looks like they can be achieved with a normal map as well. Good work so far.
  • timwiese
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    timwiese polycounter lvl 9
    Your texture looks like a good base but details still need to be added to it. Think about what areas would be touched, scuffed and roughed up the most. Overall the gun is just lacking variation and details in the texture.

ppsh41.jpg

If you look at the ref I provided there is a good amount of variation within the texture. You don't have to go as far as too make your this old and torn up but its a good ref. Also notice how the edges have a brighter spec.
  • Fodbaddun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you already very much for the crits. Now I know what to look for ;)
  • limesimme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    limesimme polycounter lvl 11
    Could you upload a higher resolution of that wireframe render (and without texture)?
  • Arac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arac polycounter lvl 8
    I would definitely chamfer the top edges of the wood stock, as it's alot rounder:

pp13.JPG

I would also add a chamfer on the drum magazine, just to add some extra detail and more interesting speculars. The hole at the front of the barrel cover could use some more segments, beause now the silouhette is very sharp.

For the rest your wireframe looks a bit messy here and there, and you can still optimize in some places