Home Contests & Challenges Archives

TF2 - Polypack - Kwakkie - Sniper

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
I am planning to make a "History Repeats Pack" for the sniper because it is my favourite class and I think that Valve hasnt put in a lot of traditional Australian icons in yet.

Nedwear - HAT / Secondary Item
sniper-hat.jpg
This Helmet is actually based on the tale of an Aussie outlaw called Ned Kelly who made full body armour suits for him and his gang to protect themselves during shootouts. The sniper got inspired by this legend and made himself the ultimate headshot protection!

This is a based on a REAL story by the way, the guys name is Ned Kelly, check the story out, its very cool: http://www.ironoutlaw.com/html/armour.html

Competition version: Just a Hat
Own Ideas: Protects against one Headshot, perfect for sniper duels :)

BAMerang - Melee weapon
sniper-boomerang.jpg
Seriously, why doesnt the sniper have a boomerang yet? It is THE #1 ICONIC weapon of Australia if you ask me!

Competition version: Melee weapon
Own Ideas: Melee weapon that does very low damage but has an alternate attack. The alternate attack throws the BAMerang in a vertical Arc, the longer you hold the attack the further the BAMerang will go and the bigger the arc will be. Attached to the BAMerang is a battery connected to metal endings that will shock any player it hits. It is very hard to directly hit something, but you will be able to suprise a player from the side. Also if the BAMerang hits a wall or a player it will not return but the enemy can pick it up for ammo/metal.

Harpoown gun - Primary Weapon / Bow replacement
sniper-harpoon.jpg
The aussies have a long history with fishing and these day it is one of the biggest hobbies in Australia, combining the bruteforce of the past with the technology of today, the HARPOOWN was born!

Competition version: Primary weapon, bow replacement
Own Ideas: Basically like the bow, except that it can not be charged and arrows can not be set on fire by a friendly pyro. It only does base damage but reloads a lot faster.

I will start concepting soon, and make sure every item fits in with the TF2 style, but in the meantime, let me know what you think of the ideas!

Replies

• fastturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the idea of the harpoon being a gun that replaces the bow, but won't it be a little awkward charging up a gun in the way the Huntsman shot charges?
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think Headwear will ever have any advantages.
  • elementbam38
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that seems nice but i dont think a hat should make headshot protection unless it takes up the secondary or something.
  • AAA_BATTERY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the helmet should be a hat, not a secondary replacement with stats. it will fail as hard as the razorback, as we have all seen items that are are only useful against one class just suck.
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    Add a knockback like the Force-A-Nature on the harpoon and you have a winner! Any chance to shoot enemy's in the air should be taken.

and as elementbam38 pointed out, hats can't have game changing properties, atleast not yet.

so make it a slot 2 weapon replacement
  • Karkasmolenklok
    Oh God, if you went with a Mad Max theme...
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 14
    The Helmet of Ned Kelly has already been made by AyesDyef http://www.fpsbanana.com/skins/71463
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the suggestions all, just to be clear I had two different descriptions for each item but apparently it wasnt that obvious so here is an explanation:

Competition version: This text describes what I will make for the specifications of this competition.
    Own Ideas: This text describes my own ideas, or what I think would be cool if it were possible.

@skamberin wow nice, didn't know that existed, I will still make my own version though. Thanks for pointing it out!
    @Fastturtle the gun could have a small meter to indicate the charge/force, thanks for the idea :P
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scuba headgear? Or has that also already been made?
  • Guitbox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I always wondered about the lack of a boomerang too, and want one, but it wont be able to work with those bonus-alternate features.

Melee weapons are exceptionally important if you run out of ammo. Since they obviously don't take any, they're always there. Yours, if throwable, would toss away you last bit of defense. Should you run out of ammo, you'd be helpless.

But I'd love to see it worked in some way or another. Even just bashing people on the head might suffice.
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @re.wind cool idea but Im not sure if it would fit the theme well... not unless I focus everything around the harpoon gun, hmmm...

@guitbox haha yeah you have a point there! For now I will just make it a melee weapon replacement ;)

Anyway, I havent had a lot of time recently because I was moving to a new appartmenet, but most of the moving is done now so lets get back to work! ;)

Here is a concept of the harpown, I prefer the bottom one. The sniper rifle is only in the image for a size comparison, as the harpown will replace the huntsman! I will add some more details later, but for now I think the overall look and feel fits pretty good!
    sniper_harpown2.jpg

Let me know what you think! Also, i think Im going to ditch the ned kelly headgear, I dont think valve wants hats that cover the entire head.
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Number two is the best! :)
  • Luxy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1 with the sight from 2/3.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    There's already a few spear guns in the comp. Obviously it doesn't matter until one actually winds up in the game, but I reckon you could come up with some more Aussie archetypes that haven't been used yet.

Beer is a big one which I haven't seen crop up at all as far as I can remember. A tinny of VB (foul tasting beer in a green can) or a King Brown (750 ML brown glass bottle) are your best bet. Likewise the barbecue is something intrinsic to our culture that might have some possibilities

Australia is pretty agricultural. There are plenty of things you could do with farming sheep. Spotlighting (and shooting) rabbits and foxes comes into the farming bit too.

Going to the beach, swimming and surfing. You fishing gear could come in there.

I could probably go on, but that's likely enough for a start and I'm starting to run low on cliches.

If you did want to do a bushranger (like Ned Kelly) theme then you could make a great big bushy beard - pretty much all of them had one. I suppose it'd wind up looking a bit like the camera beard, but it shouldn't be that hard to make it different enough.
  • Khthon
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    If you make a sheep camo hat I will love you forever (wolf amongst the sheep)
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the tips and ideas!

@jackablade wow thanks for the info! :) A good friend of mine also went 'down under' for a year and he suggested similar things, for now I like the sheep and bbq ideas the most, but I dont have a particular good idea yet. Also yeah, I looked for other spearguns but I only found one, but it looked a lot different from the gun I am trying to make :p

@evil haha that would be pretty awesome really, especially because sometimes snipers wear those crazy body suits. Im certainly thinking about it!!! :P

I decided to go for a mix of all three:

Added a ring with some rope that normally would be attached to the harpoon, but who need to reel back any prey once it is fixed into a wall? ;)

harpown2.jpg
  • Pogo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like the door knocker metal ring w/ string attached, pressure gauge is a good idea, but where is the pressure being created? theres no compressed gas or pump on the weapon.
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A compressor/compressed gas canister would look good/unique and make sense.

Here's some refs I dug up-
    w_100s_spray_gun.jpg
    spraygun.jpg
    co2_kit.jpg
    XSScubaTankCarrier-SM.jpg
    C20071126101953233700_Mini_compressor_with_spray_gun_Combi_kit.jpg
    Compressor_Recall2.jpg
    D3000.jpg
    2+Peak+HP+Air+Compressor+with+Nail+Gun.jpg
    binks1.jpg