Home Technical Talk

[Maya Plugin] Auto Round-Edge Normal Maps

Posted prematurely. Need to sort out a few things on my end.

Replies

• a3D
    Is it limited to hard edges for programming reasons? I think this would be much more optimization-friendly if it allowed to project bevels on soft edges as well, since UV splits have their cost
  • EarthQuake
    Can you bake this result down to a different lowpoly mesh? That's usually how people who use this workflow do it in Modo.

Can you set the edge width differently for various meshes?
  • throttlekitty
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Can you bake this result down to a different lowpoly mesh? That's usually how people who use this workflow do it in Modo.

Can you detail on that a bit? I think I know what you mean maybe.
  • Abnormal Tools
    a3D - It's a mix of programming reasons and user-friendliness ones.

The idea behind this tool is that many hard surface shapes in their low-poly form already represent their high-poly counterparts, except for not having beveled edges. In other words, 90% of the final result is already defined if we use hard edges as the starting point.

If what you're asking for is the ability to take the result of the bevel map and apply it to a softened version of the same mesh, there will be a lot of tangent-space mismatch issues to deal with outside of Maya. Now, free tangent-conversion software like Handplane already exists to handle this, so it would be redundant to re-create it for such a specific tool.

I think the solution will be to add an object-space export option for the normal map. Then, if you use the tool to export an object-space bevel map, soften the mesh and put it and the object-space bevel map into a conversion software like Handplane, you could bake a tangent-space result to a specific engine. Does that sound like a reasonable solution?

EarthQuake - Currently there is no conception of baking between different meshes. Could you elaborate on this workflow?

Yes, you can set edge width differently for each mesh (the tool currently takes one mesh at a time). Right now you can't set edge width for specific edges, but you can export multiple widths and mask between them in painting software.
  • Sajeet
    Offline / Send Message
    Sajeet polycounter lvl 7
    Cool stuff! :) trying it out now :)
  • Yonderboy
    Offline / Send Message
    Yonderboy polycounter lvl 6
    hi - i followed all the instructions on how to install but can't see the plugin in the plugin settings :(. could I be doing something wrong?! Im using 2015 on a mac

thanks
  • Cathodeus
    Offline / Send Message
    Cathodeus polycounter lvl 14
    I was thinking of the same thing since a long time as well. As Mental ray is able to round hard edge. Thanks to have made it. I think you should do a standalone app. *.exe like this everybody will be able to use it.
  • Broetchaen
    This is awesome! works really well. could you add an option to bake it out as world space? would buy it instantly if you add that option
  • EarthQuake
    Baking one object to another is the same conceptually as it is for any traditional high-low workflow.

The only difference here would be that you can construct your highpoly as a relatively simple mesh with the bevel edge shader, with different edge widths for different parts (set per object or per material, uniform edge width for entire mesh = gross) and then bake that down to an optimized lowpoly. The reason for this is simple, the sort of mesh you would make to work well with a bevel shader may not make for a well optimized game ready lowpoly mesh.

You could do the object space -> tangent space conversion, but this requires matching uvs. Modeling a lowpoly mesh with a hard edge and uv seam everywhere you want a rounded edge will mean a less than optimal uv layout/vertex usage.
  • llb
    Offline / Send Message
    llb polycounter lvl 8
    Hi Everyone,

How can I get that plugin? I highly appreciate if you instruct me.

Thanks
  • llb
    Offline / Send Message
    llb polycounter lvl 8
    Hi Everybody,

Do you know how can I get the plugin/scrip to test it on my project?

Thanks
  • Yonderboy
    Offline / Send Message
    Yonderboy polycounter lvl 6
    anybody know if there's been any progress on this script?