Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Doc Frank Textures

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
frank.jpg
Forgot about this. I had been working on this bastard in off time at work. Was a project to convince myself that maya paint = goooood. Anyway, thought i'd post a shot. I made this like a year ago? maybe it was 2? I dont remember. It was a halloween contest and he did not qualify since he was not technically a monster.=P

Replies

• swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    nice.. the face and chest as lookin real good!

What if instead of barefeet, he had skeleton feet with blood dripin off them? I think that'd add lots more character smile.gif
  • X-Convict
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    X-Convict polycounter lvl 18
    Ah, I was wondering if you were gonna texture this guy.. lookin' real cool so far man, looking forward to seeing more grin.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Coolness! Keep it up ... this guy should look great when finished!
  • usagi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    usagi polycounter lvl 18
    i remember this, i think. didnt he have a bunch of mechanical arms coming off his head thing in the concept? i hope so cause that looked awesome

anyways looks really cool
  • Kashaar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kashaar polycount sponsor
    Yay, even I remember this! smile.gif Looks great, I'm imagining him with specular mapping on his gloves and more subtly on his clothing as well. What's Maya Paint anyway?
  • johnwoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    johnwoo polycounter lvl 18
    Never saw the concept but the model looks great and the texturing looks real good....the face looks excellent, looking forward to more updates on this...keep up the good work...btw..any chance of posting up the concept or a link?
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you mean literally bones, swamp? As in clackety clack? I'm not sure how i feel about that! Unless you mean like ultra craggy and boneny(similar to my own skinny ass)... that maybe i can see.. hmm... maybe ill play with both.

Yessir, Usagi. He has a bunch of other gear. An apron, a brain in a jar on a strap, some tools, bunches of little arms on his head, and some metal clips everywhere. I am only working on the body texture. This only includes the gloves/pants/head/coat. This texture is 512, the other will probably be 256 or 512... its just a TON of stuff.

Luggage: probably gonna do spec/glow map. Gonna have the jar have an acrid liquid around the brain and have that glow i think. 3d texture tool in maya = paint in 3d. It's like deep paint but I dont feel like im trying to paint in the bottom of a pan of oil. It lets me also use a clone/stamp brush for eliminating seams...in 3d. hohohohoh. ^_^

johnwoo the entire model is on my old folio page. http://thejes.us/port ill try and find concept if i get my home pc working after work=/
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well.. Yes, completely skeleton feet. Its a unique twist that pops out instead of boring regular feet. Besides, why is he barefoot anyways? If hes gona be barefoot do it with style. smile.gif

If you dont like the creepy bone feet, ever see an 45+ year old persons foot if they'd worn bad shoes thier whole life? Your model needs at least that.

The feet are so wrenched and disfigured, and the bone has grown crooked. You got teenager feet on this guy right now, it doesnt fit his character. I wish i had a good refrence pic, but the big toe is always pointed in / overlapping the index toe it seams.
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mm yeah. he will, at the very least, be super knotted. I honestly havent painted anymore than a macro light pass you know.
    He was barefoot for one reason.. .hes a mad doctor slicing up giant hunks of human meat product and stitching it together. How frigging gross is it to think of a scary chap such as this slopping around barefooted in human waste? Blood all over and things. I thought the idea was pretty gross. And having a nice slathering of blood on the feet will be pretty nasty.
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I wish i had a good refrence pic, but the big toe is always pointed in / overlapping the index toe it seams.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got some pretty good reference laying at your feet right now wink.gif

In my experience, the pinched big-toe crossover is usually for women who cram their feet into tiny shoes, 'cause mine sure as hell don't do that =P I have lazy sprawled out toes... Ph33r m4 to3s! But seriously, I think he could use scraggly knotted up feet as was mentioned, I really can't see skeletal feet, but that could just be me.
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My grandpa has those really discusting toes, its not impossible for guys to have it...that or he wears high heels in his spare time?

Creepy!
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    The face & untextured model on your site remind me a great deal of the character on the cover of "The City of Lost Children".
    As seen here:
    City of Lost Children Poster
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that was the idea.=) i used a photo of daniel emilfork for reference.
  • Surgey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Surgey polycounter lvl 18
    I knew it looked familiar! Good movie.
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    worked a little bitsy bit more. i realized i did not unhide the foot texture layer. I'm at work and i cant really go rescreen grab right now. I'd like to get the straps done tonight. we'll see.
    franklit.jpg
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    noice progress!
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    docagain.jpg

Took a couple hours tonight to work on this a bit. He got set aside while i did some other stuff. Back to frankypoo once more.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    lookin sweet stoof.

i think the buttons could be more 'glassy' with tighter highlights, and a more rigid feel. the shadows work great, but it seems like they should be smaller, as his suit is pretty tight on him (tighter like the lapel shadow).

dig it!
    watch the lighter colors near the edges of the belt straps, it causes some nasty aliasing.

the face looks dope!! just give him some eyebrows and lashes!

dig the gloves too, but something about the super regular highlight on em makes it feel strange. the blood on the fabric is nice, maybe you could break up the clean highlights with a little blood to break up the light. Not really reeeeeed wet blood, maybe dried blood, so its there but only for the effect of griming up the rubber.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    it looks fark'n rad.
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    Very cool stoofoo!
    Glad to see that you are still working on it.
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    it's lookin great rite now, I wondered if you were ever gonna get down to texturing that thing.
    My only gripe is that the buttons seem too bright/saturated in comparison with the rest of the grimey clothing.
    Heh, now it's pesti's turn to texture his!!! >:]
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    docagain3.jpg

woooorking away. moosazord: i tried to adress the 2 biggest comments. it looks like i did not go quite far enough. I agree wholeheartedly though.

Wanna finish this sucka up tonight i think.
  • Enix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    This dude is crazy! I say more blood smile.gif.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    ah, stoof yeah man!

the buttons look much better, and the shadows look much nicer too. maybe the only thing would be to add slight shadows on the sides of them, as if they are pulling the fabric? maybe a chip or crack in a button or two to add some character to em smile.gif

the gloves look nice, that extra color really goes a long way. You could maybe break up the super clean highlights a little with some grit, but yeah, i dig it.
  • fiart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fiart polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work, I almost missed this smile.gif