Rugged cliche type

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
pilotwire8ik.jpg

pilotfar3pm.jpg

pilot1thumb8bg.jpg

pilot2thumb2po.jpg

I've been working on and off on this character for a few months now, but recently I have lost my motivation.
I originally set out with the intention that the character would have more 'pilot' influence rather then generic future soldier, but i guess I lost my way with it.
Anyway its cliche subject matter but I do intend to finish this work. blush.gif

Replies

• killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    dude this fucking sweet!
    ... will you at least finish his arm?
    /scheming
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    looking great. keep going
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like you've put a lot of work into him so far, it would be a shame to stop now. Looking really good, whatever he's supposed to be.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Definitely has your immaculate style all over it Tim.

The oxygen mask does tend to suggest pilot yeah, and probably doesn't quite gel with the rest of him, so Id be inclined to go one way or the other.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Looking really good buddy. I think my main critique is the skin tones. they are all really really pink, like he has a sunburn. If it went a bit more yellow or orange in a few places, it could add so much. Love the metal work. 8-)
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hey man this rocks. Really like the face and hair and the armour design. Only comment is on the armour skin; the different in res between it and the face seems to drastic. Its painted well, but I'd like to see some sexy details in his armour.
  • War_Destroyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    War_Destroyer polycounter lvl 18
    Spacemonkey you've brought him so far you have to finish it.
    The boots are looking really nice.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    hey cliches are always welcome when they're this well executed--great work man smile.gif
  • Speve-O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Speve-O polycounter lvl 18
    I gotta say, this is excellent so far. I agree with Poop about the skin tones . . . just a tad too pink.

I really love the feeling of the white chest armour, and wish you had carried it over to the boots/more areas, because it looks so damn cool!

Cheers

Steve
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    heya tim smile.gif

your cracy.. this one looks awful

your modeling was ever very good but your paintings realy getting better and better ..and better .. and .. and

but one think i´m not sure with..

is is head not a bit smal?

greets.. rollin
  • Jerome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerome polycounter lvl 18
    yup, really cool smile.gif
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pilotsl21wp.jpg
    http://img45.exs.cx/img45/7590/pilotsl0oi.jpg

killingpeople, perhaps...
    muahahahaha
    /scheming

Ruz, thanks mate.

FatAssasin, thanks for the encouragement

Daz I've considered getting rid of the mask - it does look ok without it but I like how it breaks up the 3/4 profile, I guess I will make my mind up nearer completion.

poop, its a bit pink, some extra tones will help. I normally do alot of work on the face to start with - then comeback to it towarsd the end of my texturing and put allot of insight/ enthusiasm into it.

AdamBrome, yeah my bad .. ;( I have tried to remove most traces of the fact that the armour is lower res by painting out the harsh black which I think works quite well. I dont want to make the armour too busy since there are already allot of elements working on him so I'll be keeping the big smooth interlocking panels, but maybe adding a few symbols/insignia and damage/dirt.

War_Destroyer, cheers!

gauss thanks, I'll be posting my huge breasted female character wearing a micro swin suit real soon then ! laugh.gif

Speve-O, good idea about the boots.

hey rollin, yeah I think this one must be my worst ever wink.gif I scaled the head up, good call!

Jerome, thanks.

ok if I dont update this thread before the end of next week, you have my permission not to send those christmas presents you all bought me.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    looks sweet dude smile.gif

the highlight on the tub thing could repeat better, the technique is a bit obvious smile.gif

I dig the nose thing, but maybe it could be flesh toned, instead of the darker color? dunno feel like it hurts the face more than helping the character.

lookin really cool though man, dig it!
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers moose, yeah I slapped the texture on quick to the tube.. I tweaked the uvws and texure which fixed it but I decided to drop that from the render anyway. I changed the nose plaster too, it works better now;)

pic at the top
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    uff i wrote so much
    and it erased
    ok nevermind i guess,
    good job man! smile.gif
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Wow, this is getting soooo good. That highres photo up there is quite impressive. Can we see some flats? (I'd like to see his face tbh...)
  • melkior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melkior polycounter lvl 18
    maybe I'm an idiot - but the bandage on his nose looks out of place. I dont see a bruise, any blood on his nose, a cut or anything that says why the heck hes got a bandaid there? smile.gif

I only mention it as its distracting lol.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    maybe I'm an idiot - but the bandage on his nose looks out of place. I dont see a bruise, any blood on his nose, a cut or anything that says why the heck hes got a bandaid there? smile.gif

I only mention it as its distracting lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, some athletes use a bandage on their nose to keep it open and such, for more air intake...not sure if thats why its there...but thats why it makes sense to me...
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun, thats a shame frown.gif I'm sure you would have had some apt crits.
    Adam sure,
    melkior - Illusions pointed out what its intended for, just a personalising feature to give character.

pilotposeflats4oz.jpg

Some dumb deformations going on in the render,
  • Rifter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rifter polycounter lvl 18
    This is awesome. Enough said. I chuckled when I read "What am I?"
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    oh alright alright
    no need to throw tomatos at me.. ill write it over,
    with broken english and all

well i think i said smt about yo mama being.. hmm.. no that was from another post

oh oh!
    :P
    i remember how i truly dig the color scheme.. very nice
    the proportions and all look very solid too,
    although all renders indicate possible chainsaw accident at knee level, where is the rest?
    stolen by barbaric israeli tourists, no doubt

i like the overly puffy sleeve too... sits nice on the model, folds work very well.. good job!

one small thing i could think about fixing - and it really is practically small indeed - uve put so much effort into making trying to make it a very remarkable "cliche" type, push it a little further with the nose bridge thing. u could have made it techy (or maybe still can hmmm), like the green belt thing, with some of that poppy green on each side. i feel it could have worked better than the standart nose strap

always think outside the box

i dont know why u chose to limit urself to the cliche subject, u did a very good job at it anyways

the reminded me immediately when i saw this of that other model u maded, that chick. i dont know what it is exactly, i guess its ur style showing thru, taking solid shape.. becoming recognizable (at least to me smile.gif.. and thats very important

with ur skill and talent u must deffinately let ur creativety looser
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Coolest character this year.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    DUDE

ill shit man! nice work.
  • Ramucho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ramucho polycounter lvl 18
    Wow some top notch work man! kudos to you ^_^
    I'm just wondering how his arms will move because of the shoulder pad. Or will he simply have limitated arm rotation?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Woooo Tim, there is nothing wrong with clich
  • milla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    milla polycounter lvl 18
    I think it's a very slick design well executed. Nice work. I can't wait to see the whole.
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    I'm really digging the white armour and texture on the mechanical arm. Very nice character. Colors are subtle but sweet.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Best work from you so far, is he intended for Ut2k4 or the mod you are working (worked?) on?
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    dam.. i hate u wink.gif

(only thing i don´t "like" are the hair hanging in his face)
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pilotwire8ik.jpg

pilotfar3pm.jpg

Rifter, ha that wasnt supposed to be there.. the 'what am I?' object was part of his gas mask setup.. but since I dropped that I decided to keep the box and texture it up to fit with the rest of him, just me trying to think up what it should be wink.gif

shotgun, hey thanks. Its a interesting point you bring up about the missing legs you see I got drunk one night with these pixel pirates, well you can image the rest. The legs are back! I like your idea about the nose band, very creative.
    Last few months at work for me have been boring as hell... realtime lighting and fog in levels is not exactly my idea of inspiring work so I just wanted to have some fun with a character so I guess familair ground is less challenging and quicker to get done wink.gif But It would be good to do something more original soon.

AdamBrome, hah thanks

killingpeople, ok but computers and feces dont mix

Ramucho, shldr parts would have limited rotation/movement but the arm underneath is free to more movement. The parts connecting the chest to the shldr's are supposed to support them so that they dont completely way down on the acutal shldr.

Hi pior, I did build him with morph targets in mind. Tbh I havent had time to overly familiarize myself with them in max (since at work the animators have handled them) but its on my list of stuff to improve on this year.

milla, thanks big old render up at the top of the threadjust added!

Irritant thanks

JKMakowka, well I am not working on any mods. I quite like the idea of putting him in halflife because of their whole normal mapped radiosity approach but I doubt i will as I have struggled to find time to finish this.

rollin, you and my work mates who I bug to look at my progess. The hanging hairs arent not the best bit I agree,
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry must have messed that up wink.gif

Could you post a non full frontal shot? That picture doesn't show much about the boots.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • IceWolve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IceWolve polycounter lvl 18
    really cool monkeh, love your stuff any chance at a wire?
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx...

Interesting, much less polys than I expected... really well done texture.

But I think you could work on the poly distribution. The face may need that many polys if you are working with close ups and facial animations; but do the joints of the fingers (which are most likeyly to be hidden by a weapon anyways) really need that many polys?
    And some of the textured tech parts could maybe benifit from more polys, I guess.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    dude,!! I dig!!
  • usagi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    usagi polycounter lvl 18
    looks great, could you post some close up wires of the head? im curious as to how you set up the alphas
  • melkior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melkior polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

melkior - Illusions pointed out what its intended for, just a personalising feature to give character.

[/ QUOTE ]

ahhh okay I dont favor sports so I missed that totally :-)
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Just great man, awesome work.
  • palm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    palm polycounter lvl 18
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pilotfrntbck8vc.jpg

pilotpose48nt.jpg

IceWolve, yeah check the top of the page smile.gif

JKMakowka, I could have used allot less polies in the face, but I do like to work on close up detail there. I think his hands are pretty low, your right they could have been less though - something I missed.

usagi, sure but I just threw the hair area together. couple of rows of planes with an opacity map - stagger the uvw's so they arn't unifrom and I also stuck in a few poly strips.

b1ll, cheers

melkior, no probs wink.gif

Poop and palm thanks for the encouragement guys.
  • Chunkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chunkey polycounter lvl 19
    I've been following the progress of this character since you first posted him up- awesome work and tight use of textures laugh.gif

I'm loving the assymetry of the character's details and the fact he feels really solid and has a nice sense of weight to him smile.gif

I think the eyes are a little bit too dark although it does give him a bit of an edge to his personality, as though he could be all heroic and then turn a bit nasty afterwards laugh.gif

*adds to his inspiration folder*
  • usagi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    usagi polycounter lvl 18
    alright, thanks spacemonkey
  • Steakhouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steakhouse polycounter lvl 18
    Space Monkey: He's looking pretty damn good, the armor came together nicely.

the only issue I can see at the moment is that of color balance. His top his very bright and the bottom is very dark. He needs something white in his middle and around his feet/ankles to help even his roll out.

Best of luck.
  • Ramucho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ramucho polycounter lvl 18
    Congrats for your cg award at cgtalk!!
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers guys, just pimpin my skills to pay the bills.

Steakhouse you have a good point, however I deliberately wanted to draw attention to the head/shldr's. I chose lots of low chroma colours to help make the vivid armour stand out, to give the character focus. (a little like how a painte would place focus on one element). It was an idea I had for some time, so finally had a decent enough idea of how to acheive it.

Anyway the piece was fun! laugh.gif

more pics I thought I'd share some old, and new versions of other old ones!

play33hu.jpg

play912zv.jpg

"This one I like to call "Resident Bitch", after all anyone would be pissed if their city was full of zombies."
    You might remember here from the old forums.

residentbitch18yw.jpg

residentbitch47ti.jpg

pilotfrntbck8vc.jpg
  • neolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    AWESOME! Especially the resident bitch. I need to save these pics for reference...
  • AfroLeft
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AfroLeft polycounter lvl 18
    Wow! i didnt like that girl with the lip ring too much. shes supposed to be tough I know, but there was just something about her that face that I really didnt like. That second RPD girl is amazing. Awseome pose too, very excellent work.

its a bit odd how the dark areas of thier textures seem to jump to black, (as in the shading is smooth untill it gets to the dark black bits, especially on her vest) too hgh contrast?