Home Adobe Substance

[SOLVED] Substance Painter slowing down PC

Dawsky
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Dawsky polycounter lvl 9
[SOLUTION] https://www.reddit.com/r/windows8/comments/49m25w/80_of_ram_being_used_while_idling_memory_leak/

Original Post:

Hi there 

So to kick things of, here are my system specs:

Windows10
I7-3770K
16GB Ram
Zotec GTX 1080 AMP Extreme
Samsung 850 EVO SSD

*All hardware testet for erros yesterday because of this issue - All tests passed, no erros*

So for the problem: 

After using Substance Painter for a while, my pagefile.sys is getting more and more full which eventually slows down my computer entirely up to a point where a restart is the only option. 

Because SP kept crashing on me when computing 4K textures, I followed the link in the warning when starting SP, that tells you to increase virtual memory. Been there, done that, set my pagefile to 16384 MB. I am running 16 GB of Ram. 
Everything seemd fine for a while, but i noticed my computer getting slower and slower over time. 
I checked the Ram usage an it was at 99%
I checked the pagefile and it was at around 16 GB.
So yeah, i ran out of physical and virtual memory. I am not sure why tho. 
Does SP really need more than 16 GB of Ram to be used or does windows 10 not know how to remove unnecessary data from the pagefile on the fly?  

This slow down also happens if letting windows manage virtual memory. 
The paygefile is getting larger and larger, and the Ram usage is getting higher and higher

But the worst thing is, when i close down SP my Ram usage only drops from 99% to around 85%.
But thats it. 85% with nothing else than windows running. Usually i am at around 20% after a fresh start. 

Also, in my pagefile settings, it tells me a recommended size of 2938MB
Can i somehow avoid increasing the pagefile to 16+GB to use substance painter without it crashing all day long ? 
Or is it something else that is causing the issue? 

This bugs me for a few days now and sadly i couldn't find any usefull informations on the web.
any help is much appreciated, as i cant get things done.

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    This sounds machine/configuration specific unless they broke 2017.4.

I look after lots of people using Painter and haven't seen anything like this.  I'd suggest getting in touch with support at Allegorithmic directly 
  • Dawsky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dawsky polycounter lvl 9
    poopipe said:
    I'd suggest getting in touch with support at Allegorithmic directly 
    I postet this in the Allegorithmic forum a few days ago. No answer so far.
    guess i'll just keep waiting 
  • EArkham
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EArkham polycounter lvl 9
    Substance Painter does something similar for me as well.  It gets very memory hungry, and then takes forever to release the memory, even after closing the program.  It's not bad enough to require a restart of the computer though, and SP runs fine meanwhile, so it's still perfectly usable.  But  usually I have to leave the computer alone for at least 10-15 minutes after closing SP before I can use any other programs.

Intel i7 4770k (oldest thing on my system atm)
    GeForce GTX 1080Ti
    32 GB
  • Dawsky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dawsky polycounter lvl 9
    Sound Kind of like the same or a very similar problem. 
    Maybe for you it’s a little better because of double the amount of ram? Don’t know. 
    Good for you substance releases the memory after awhile tho, for me it doesn’t. Been waiting for hours the other day but it didn’t change anything. 
    Meanwhile i can’t do anything. Not even browse the web in a single chrome tab for a solution. 
  • Dawsky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dawsky polycounter lvl 9
    So. 
    After a few days of testing and talking to people, it turned to be a memory leak, though not Substance related but Razer related instead. 
    Strage enough still, it only happened when using SP. Anyway. 

For all of you interessted, this is what solved my problem.

'TheObsidianPickaxe' nailed it! 

https://www.reddit.com/r/windows8/comments/49m25w/80_of_ram_being_used_while_idling_memory_leak/