Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP - Victorian-Style Assets - University Group Project - Moriwood Hotel

triangle
Offline / Send Message
MPearson triangle
Hello :)

At university we have a group project module, and we are going to be creating a puzzle game with psychological horror elements.

Moriwood Hotel

• Moriwood Hotel is a puzzle game with psychological horror elements.
  • Hotel built in 1887, has Victorian Aesthetic.
  • Game set in 1990's
Brief Backstory:

Moriwood Hotel was built from the ground up in rural Wales by a young entrepreneur and his childhood friend in 1887. Following the passing of the original owner in 1965 the hotel has changed hands frequently over the subsequent years, and the reason is believed to be a result of the constant disappearance of guests and reported paranormal occurrences.

As the player, you are going to be playing the role of Gabriel Reed, a 37-year-old Paranormal Investigator. Gabriel has followed in his fathers footsteps, who was also a paranormal investigator who went missing on the job in 1972, whilst trying to figure out the mysteries beyond the doors of Moriwood Hotel. Now, 20 years later, you are attempting to finish of your fathers final investigation.

The style we're going for is untouched, uninhabited, deserted and creepy rather than derelict and destroyed (See below)

Abandoned_Do_Dontjpg
Artwork by: Raphael Tavres (https://www.artstation.com/artwork/bPWJG)

Victorian_Moodboardjpg

I'm going to be posting WIP's and final renders of some of the assets I am creating for this project here whenever I get chance, so critique where possible would be greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, considering the time we have to complete this project, we've given ourselves an absolute monster of a job, especially alongside other modules on the course. But we're going to give it our best shot, but it does mean that quality of some assets texture wise may start to deteriorate nearer the deadline, but we're going to try and compensate on quality in some of the least important areas of the game.

Replies

• MPearson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MPearson triangle
    WIP - Generic Door, Office Drawers and Receptionist Desk (AHS Inspired)

model

• MPearson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MPearson triangle
    Victorian Wall Clock - WIP - Sketchfab model shows older geometry, and the images show the updated version following some feedback to lower poly-count on Artstation. Unfortunately due to the updated UV set, it will be requiring a re-texture.

model

New Geometry (Including Old Render):

Old Renders:

Old Geometry:

• MPearson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MPearson triangle
    Wall Kit Test:

Created a simple wall kit, and had a play around in substance painter/designer to apply some temporary textures. Decals on the wood panel are also temporary until I either find or create some nicer ones that fit nicely into the corners :)

Right now it's really clean looking, and I want to try and get some torn wall paper effects going, so if anybody knows of any good tutorials for creating that in designer please do let me know :)

model

• MPearson
  • Larry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    Are you guys extruding the ornamental detail from stencils? At the moment it does resemble victorian style,but not quite.I know its a pain, but you need more complex panels than the square ones, and "victorian style" in general,tries to fit as much sculpted detail as it fits in every inch of the unused space of an object.It is ever "too much". Even if you are going for something more subtle, you need to figure out how they place the ornaments, for example the golden ornaments in your wall panel might have 90 degrees angle, but they dont really seem fit for the corner you are using them for. Its just my observation, as I am also working with victorian style atm