Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio feedback please for entry level to mid level modeler/texturer

Conniekat8
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Conniekat8 polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys, I lurk a lot but I don't post much...
Anyhow, I am putting together my first portfolio to try and get hired as a 3D generalist, or a modeler, or whatever I am qualified for. I would be very thankful for some advice on formatting and focusing it.

I attached my latest work here (Outfit and weapons are my modeling, texturing and rigging work. Characters are by others (just how the project  pipeline specs work for this particular comission).

More of my 3D work is on artstation: https://www.artstation.com/conniekat8

All modeling and texturing is a combination of 3D Studio Max, Zbrush, Photoshop and Substance Painter.

My freelance gig is ending soon and I noticed that Blizzard has opening for environment and prop modelers on their cinematic team (and I happen to live 3 miles away). Do I have a snowballs chance in hell of being considered for hire? 

Am I correct in assuming that for game studio portfolio I need to show some of the meshes and UV's? I am trying to get a crash course on how to present things. I'm also researching a lot of things on my own, covering a number of basis :)

Any feedback is very much appreciated.

Artistic render:

Clay render:

Clay render:

Artistic render of the costume with a character from a collaborating artist:

Artistic render of the costume with a character from a collaborating artist:

Replies

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    I can't speak for Blizzard hiring's process, but one thing that immediately sticks out to me is your portfolio doesn't have any pieces that is in the style of their games.

Even though actual talent and ability to model is important, keep in mind they most likely receive hundreds of applicants, and if they find a person who understands their concept perfectly, they would be more willing to choose that person no?

Also, don't be fooled by the title "entry level". A user here said it best, a junior artist is actually a  senior artist but with less pieces. Always set the bar as high as possible.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    You are on the right track but what you have now isn't going to land you at Blizzard to be honest.  Especially if you want to work on their cinematic team, you will definitely need more experience and a much higher level portfolio.  I would say start smaller and look at their games and style more and try to match it.

JordanN said:
    Also, don't be fooled by the title "entry level". A user here said it best, a junior artist is actually a  senior artist but with less pieces. Always set the bar as high as possible.
    Also, this sounds very familiar as I say this all the time!  You want your work to be Sr level quality.  More likely a Sr will just be faster, have more in their folio, better pipeline knowledge, etc.  

Again, I think what you have is a good start.  Keep making new stuff and polishing your work to be better each time.  Check out some of blizzard's cinematic artists' folios as well.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Yea, show your model and texture breakdowns.  Verifies you know how to make stuff for real-time rendering.
  • Conniekat8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh said:
    You are on the right track but what you have now isn't going to land you at Blizzard to be honest.  Especially if you want to work on their cinematic team, you will definitely need more experience and a much higher level portfolio.  I would say start smaller and look at their games and style more and try to match it.

JordanN said:
    Also, this sounds very familiar as I say this all the time!  You want your work to be Sr level quality.  More likely a Sr will just be faster, have more in their folio, better pipeline knowledge, etc.  

Again, I think what you have is a good start.  Keep making new stuff and polishing your work to be better each time.  Check out some of blizzard's cinematic artists' folios as well.
    Hah, yes, I pretty much thought I wasn't quite there for Blizzard Cinematics. Thanks!
    My dilemma is I have to find some sort of work within a month, as my freelance work is ending. Based on what I have in my portfolio, am I hireable anywhere? I'd be happy to just get the foot in the door at a studio in the area and start getting better experience.

I think I made a mistake by allowing the freelance work I was doing last couple years to become a 12 hour a day work, to their spec, and neglected to keep am eye on other types of work and keep my portfolio updates. Most of this work was for high detail high poly static rendering, illustrations and rendered animations. (yes, I am running in circles really fast here trying to kick myself in the rear)

I do have 4 years of FA and Game Art education too (At Laguna College of Art and Design), so I have more than one skill... I had to drop out my senior year because, ugh... (divorce and I lost financial assistance and a place to live) so I had to scramble, quit and go to work (or be homeless). I don't have family who can support me while I develop the right portfolio, and schools sort of snub you when you have to drop out, no matter the reason.   Anyhow, just sharing this last paragraph, as I am thinking out loud trying to figure out what to do for the next paycheck... I'd rather model and texture for a minimum wage, than flip burgers, or go back to engineering...

Yea, show your model and texture breakdowns.  Verifies you know how to make stuff for real-time rendering.
    Cool, thanks, I will add some of that! I have some Unreal breakdowns from couple years ago on my older blog. Newer work is obviously high poly, 4K textures and not geared for real time rendering. :)
  • Conniekat8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unfortunately, it's been couple of years since I worked in Unreal (It was still UDK, just before UE4). I take it this is too dated? Is this the prefered presentation?
    Everything here is my work.
    All my recent stuff is PBR shader focused, but it is high rez.