Home Career & Education

International Internship at Blizzard, a few questions

Jaxium
null
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Jaxium null
Greetings. I'm from Egypt and I'm studying Computer Science, I've been surfing the internships at Blizzard, I found Software Engineer at the WoW team, neat, great. But when I checked in the eligibility requirements, I noticed that term, 'Authorized to work in the US', after reading the FAQ, I've seen that they do allow internationals students in if they are on F-1 visa. And they do provide housing. What I'm wondering of is that... Is F-1 the only type of visa allowed? After researching I've seen J-1 can also apply in my logic. And, I think that either type of visas F-1 or J-1 give you the 'Authorization to work in the US' term, if so, why would they need you to be authorized to work in the US, and in the same pace, have F-1? They're the same as I think. However, does the internship need you to stay in the US for the amount of years your university is? 4 years in my case, so that you will go each summer for 12 weeks, then continue studying at the US, or you can normally study at your own country and fly each summer to them? Lots of question, but it's just a little bit complicated.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Bletzkarn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bletzkarn polycounter lvl 6
    Seems like there are some subtle differences. F1 allows you to work off campus where as J1 you have to apply to work off campus. J1 however allows you to apply to work outside of campus and your field for up to 3 years, F1 does not. F1 assumes you have financial support where as J1 assumes you require some kind of government funding.

F1 is probably less red tape and legally easier for Blizzard to deal with, with such a huge number of interns they can probably afford to be picky.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Hve you tried emailing the Headhunters in the UNiveristies Relations program?  They tend to be friendly and responsive.
  • Jaxium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaxium null
    Thanks Bletzkarn, that explains the reason they're taking students under F-1 instead.

Also, Brian. I've tried to search for any contact method to reach them, I can't find any. Do you happen to know?

Other than that. If F-1 already allows me to work off-campus, so that covers the 'Eligible to work in the US' part aswell?
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Linkedin helps.

If you want me to find you it, feel free to email me.
  • Jaxium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaxium null
    Oh, yeah. Found their contact on LinkedIn.

However, before I contact them, a quick question to finish this conversation with. I've checked F-1 visa online, it says that I need to be already accepted by a university in the U.S. according to the SEVP system. So...how is that possible when I'm going there at summer solely for Blizzard?

I'm not going to study there, the purpose of me going there is an internship of 12 weeks in summer, not to search for a university.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I do not know unfortunately. I was a native US resident when I had my internship with them in 2011.