Home Technical Talk

Whats the best method to sculpt realistic clothes?

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
JustinT polycounter lvl 2
When sculpting *realistic* clothes from scratch (not using Marvelous Designer), is it more efficient to create the seams first and then the folds/wrinkles, or should it be the other way around?

Replies

• slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    I start with major folds.  It's just like sculpting anything...larger forms first.  Seams and detail wrinkles should be the last thing you do.
  • JustinT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustinT polycounter lvl 2
    slosh said:
    I start with major folds.  It's just like sculpting anything...larger forms first.  Seams and detail wrinkles should be the last thing you do.
    If I created the folds for a long sleeve shirt with lots of asymmetrical details, how do I then match up the seam lines for, say, the shoulder area? Is it just a matter of getting good at eyeballing it, or is there a certain technique to make sure it lines up correctly?
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    JustinT said:
    slosh said:
    If I created the folds for a long sleeve shirt with lots of asymmetrical details, how do I then match up the seam lines for, say, the shoulder area? Is it just a matter of getting good at eyeballing it, or is there a certain technique to make sure it lines up correctly?
    I am far from an expert on the subject, but I recently went through alot of the same issues. 

What I found, besides using Marvelous Designer (but it is free to try, so why not?), is that if I blockout the seams of my clothes in Maya or whatever 3d app you use, I have a much easier time. Same with pockets and any "hard" edges. I played around with all kinds of stuff in Zbrush -- curves, lazy mouse, insert mesh brushes -- but I found I got the best and quickest results from just making a simplified version of the clothing first in 3d application with hard edges where I need them.