Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP/UE4] Various Portfolio projects I'm working on.

Zandveerx
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Zandveerx polycounter lvl 4
Hello, I'm finishing a game art and design course and was seeing what people thought of some of the pieces I have at their current state. 

I've got more images of each at my website knotts3d.com 

Replies

• wormo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wormo polycounter lvl 5
    the first kitchen looks good to me, I think the lighting needs work though. I also think renders from around eye-level might look better as well since these are human spaces so we can get a better feel for the size of the space.

the second one looks good too, but again the lighting falls a little flat. some of the materials seem like they could use more gloss. I think the brick or tile seems kinda intense as well.

the last one looks like a cool space but the materials are all so similar that they start to blend.
  • Zandveerx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zandveerx polycounter lvl 4
    wormo said:
    the first kitchen looks good to me, I think the lighting needs work though. I also think renders from around eye-level might look better as well since these are human spaces so we can get a better feel for the size of the space.

the second one looks good too, but again the lighting falls a little flat. some of the materials seem like they could use more gloss. I think the brick or tile seems kinda intense as well.

the last one looks like a cool space but the materials are all so similar that they start to blend.
    Thank you for the feed back. The bricks on the second have been a larger project than I thought since doing something in white like that likes to mess up some of the other maps. The advice on the eye level rendering is very welcomed, I don't think I would have thought of that. And the textures on the last one are fairly old by this point, I'll get to updating them. Thanks you again. 
  • shabba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shabba polycounter lvl 15
    Hi,

Kitchen 1:
    - the stone trim door seems super weird. 
    - the island shape is awkward, and the just outs seem unrealistic (are you using reference)
    - the tile of the granite is too tight
    - roughness across the board needs more interest and separation
    - this place doesnt look like its been lived in at all - focus on story elements through functional use. Put story in roughness, and set dressing
    - Those two light sources are super strong. 
    - are the cabinets mirrors? or glass? The mirror feels odd.
    - sink is tiny for a big kitchen like this
    - oven and microwave assets arent very detailed, good opportunities for story here
    - knobs?
    - get reference?

Kitchen 2:
    - I'd look at some interior design ref for wall treatments, that brick everywhere is a deal breaker
    - cabinet wood pattern feels chunky
    - light fixtures are super low
    - lighting also is off given the fixtures shown
    - floor board wood grain scale is massive
    - get reference?

Church?:
    - seems to early to comment, figure this is blockout right? Just a big empty space /w some early architectural elements.

Overall:
    - spaces dont feel lived in
    - no story
    - lighting and materials are flat
    - overall just kind of generic empty spaces with no real visual interest that would keep a viewer engaged.