Home Technical Talk

Modo - One mesh item is very slow

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Deforges polycounter lvl 11
Hey there, I was just screwing around on a design - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dZdBLVXtUwml0oeVk1iFJHDWwygD3d_V/view?usp=sharing

On the side panels layer, things started to become very sluggish. even beveling the edge of cube is painfully slow. What specifically is slowing down this mesh item? It has 45k polygons, which isn't that much. If I switch to another mesh item everything is fine.

Replies

• Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    That's just modo. But if you split things up into more layers you'll have better performance and a neater scene that's easier to work with, and not just in terms of performance. Usually I don't run into performance issues because of that plus the base geometry tends to be quite light, and you don't have the same issues with subdivision surfaces. (And you can test that quite simply by throwing in a simple cube, subdivide it faceted a few times, then turn of sub-d and set its iterations high, and bevel away. Works fine.) If you've got heavy base meshes (like mesh fusion outputs) that you don't need to edit often you can change them to static meshes too.

I know viewport fps improves drastically with nvidia / open source amd drivers on linux but I'm not sure if that includes computations (doubt it as they'd be cpu based).
  • Deforges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Bek Thanks for the response. I did end up puting some heavier geo in that file, the grills and side detailing, into a new mesh item so that there is only 2k polygons in the original mesh item. I STILL am having issues.

I wanted to clarify by pointing out this seems to be limited to beveling and edge slicing. beveling is just not 'smooth' when I drag on the handle. Otherwise, I can pan around the scene just fine. My google-foo has been failing me today. I refuse to believe that modo's bevel tool comes to standstill when there are 2k polys.

• Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Weird because I did the same (Select main body, cut to new mesh item) and after that I could bevel the main shape fine (with the entire scene visible). But bevelling as-is causes a laggy interactive bevel. Testing on the loop that cuts down the middle of the x axis. Bevelling lots of geo will also be laggy no matter what.

Other thoughts: turn off snapping / constraints if you have any active. Check tool pipe for anything else.
  • Deforges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Bek I will try to screw around some more when I get home. Are there some other performance things that could help?

so far I have:
    -disabled VBOs
    -set geometry cache to reflect RAM size
    -tried different shading models, they all perform more or less the same
    -made sure snapping and constraints were turned off

My system is pretty beefy:
    - i7 4790k
    - GTX 1080ti although as I understand it modo doesn't use gpu acceleration?
    - 24gb RAM
    - Flame decals
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    I've never really noticed if any of those preferences make a difference but I haven't done much testing. The biggest factor I've found has been gpu driver versions (in terms of viewport perf.). As far as I know for computation speed, what you see is what you get.