Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Overwatch Environment Study - Orisa Origins

mikewitk
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
mikewitk polycounter lvl 4
Hello everyone,

First of all, thank you for reading this topic. I really appreciate you sharing your time with me.

Second,

I'm working on an environment based on Overwatch Concept.
My goal is to model everything, except for the characters.

I'm starting with the bottom left objects (toolboxes, display, flashlight, cans, bottles, "cooler"). Below I'll post my progress, please feel free to give any comments and critics.

Replies

• mikewitk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The first models are:

They are both similar which makes easier to model, however, it doesn't feel "good" looking at it.
    I believe the big toolbox should have some differences (beside not having the top part as the small toolbox). Any tips on references to look at?
    In-game the models are really simplified, so I don't think they are a good "reference". 
    Although I want this to be a piece of my portfolio, I don't think I should go that low poly and simplify everything.

Also, I'm worrying about the texturing part. I have 0 experience with stylized texture. Any tips, tutorials, references, etc on that would be nice too :)

Thank you for your time.
  • mikewitk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress

Worked on the display and the "cooler".
    Still have to check the proportions and add details.
    https://imgur.com/DvFdtKb

(I don't know how to add images through URLs here yet)

Thaaanks
  • mikewitk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress of the day

High poly of some props. Going to work on Low Poly and UV maps now. Later, basic texturing and  UE4 scene.

• Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    do you have a blockout of the environment\lightning test ? i would definately recomend that before starting to detail props ;) You might be doing stuff on the wrong scale with wrong proportions before blocking in stuff.
  • mikewitk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    do you have a blockout of the environment\lightning test ? i would definately recomend that before starting to detail props ;) You might be doing stuff on the wrong scale with wrong proportions before blocking in stuff.
    I did a blockout inside MAX before modeling. However I can't get the camera on the right angle inside Max and I believe there is some "liberty" on the concept, so I'm trying to get things as close as possible.
    But I sure do will take your advice in consideration and assemble a scene inside UE4 to make sure everything is right :)
    Thanks 
  • mikewitk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't you love to learn stuff? I sure do hahaha

And what I learned was: do your blockout on UE4 as soon as possible...because things will look differently inside Max and UE4, specially because it's not the same camera, distance, focal, etc

Well...I'm still learning the tricks inside UE4 but at first sight my concept looks close to the concept, despite a few things that I want to change.

However, I'm not sure of how close I should be from the concept. I will wait for some advice for now and will keep working on other stuff meanwhile.

Thanks again for you time. (and sorry for not post here so often)
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    mikewitk said:
    Don't you love to learn stuff? I sure do hahaha

And what I learned was: do your blockout on UE4 as soon as possible...because things will look differently inside Max and UE4, specially because it's not the same camera, distance, focal, etc
    Wait, can you explain this?

Both 3DS Max and UE4 should let you add your own camera settings. And even then, you can still import your scene into the engine. Just make sure it's in centimeters (because UE4 only uses that and not the imperial/Max units).
  • mikewitk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What I did was to set up the concept on a plane inside max, place a camera and blockout the prop to find the sizes.

After that, I just modelled them without checking the concept again. So that was my mistake. I think I lost track of the proportions somewhere in the process and one of the props is really out.

BTW, could anyone give me your opinion on how close is the assets proportions compared to the concept? I'm trying to make it "perfect" but I feel that I can't find the same angle and position as the artist.

Thanks again for your time

• mikewitk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress

Well, now I believe I tackled this with the correct approach.
    I set up the scene inside UE4, I'm checking and rechecking all proportions and trying to reach the look from the concept.

Some objects are just place holder. My plan is
    *Put everything on the scene (blockout)
    *Work on the High Poly from main objects on the scene (bigger ones)
    *Texture them (make variations as well on colours and details
    *Light the scene
    *Start over again with small objects

All feedbacks are more than welcome.

Cya
  • mikewitk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello Again,

After a few weeks without working on the project, I'm back to it again.
    Did some small props to add to the scene.

the plan is
    *Put everything on the scene (blockout) - working on it
    *Work on the High Poly from main objects on the scene (bigger ones) - working on it
    *Texture them (make variations as well on colours and details - start again
    *Light the scene - learn about it

Thanks for reading
  • mikewitk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everyone,
    Currently I'm working on my Overwatch Sci Fi Monitor. The environment is in Numbani (Nigeria) hence the more earth/tribal looking. The first image show the base colors and some "decals" I'm currently working. It would be great if I could have your feedback on it.
    Thank you

• mikewitk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everyone,

Here it goes another update.

Quick renders. Not the end product but getting there.
    The display is not exactly how I want it, it's missing some emissive from the UI but I'll get to that later.

Please share your opinion on it, I would love to hear some feedback

Thank you
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Look solid.  Keep pushing.  Though I'd figure out a material that would make the screen look more obviously holographic.
  • Erwannd2d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Erwannd2d polycounter lvl 2
    Looks like it is shaping up to be something great ! All I would suggest atm is to cranck up the glossiness of your textures as a whole to make them more Overwtachy and "Next Gen" otherwise it will look like Paladins XD 
  • Zanejjb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zanejjb polycounter lvl 6
    Looks great! My only suggestion so far would be maybe change the monitor color to the teal you see in the image or to a green to match the aesthetic of Effie, Orisa, and Numbani. The purple gives off more Sombra feel at first glance.