Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Photoreal Head!! - Self Portraight

Oliver Hopley
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Oliver Hopley polycounter lvl 8
I'm working on a project to recreate my own head as photo real as possible. I'm a student so this could go horribly wrong and could become very amusing.
C&C is welcomed and encouraged. This will be a learning process for me so any tips on how improve are brilliant.

To start with I took some reference photos with a friend.

And then used the program 3D zephyr to turn these photo into a model using photogrammetry. It was my first time with the program. I think it's a good base for the low poly but I'm not happy with any of the details so I won't be using it to create my normal maps.

This is where I'm at now with the retopology.

For the retopologising I am using this image of Drake from Uncharted 4 as reference I want to make it appropriate for new games coming out on consoles and good PC's.

Replies

• almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    You've missed a very important step: Mesh cleanup.

You need to take your scan data, and do active sculpting on it, to remove any hair, eyebrows, etc. Make sure the eyes are the right shape and aren't all bobbly along the edges.

I'd probably rotate the head until it's in a bit more of a symmetrical position (eyes lined up both vertically and horizontally). Once you've one all of that, THEN you retopo.
  • Oliver Hopley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Thanks @Almighty_gir I was thinking that I would create the sculpt out of low poly mesh. However now you've made me think about it it dosen't make any sense to do it that way over a starting retopology with a clean high poly. I will get to work on making the high poly out of the photogrammetry. I think I can still preserve the work I've done using something like Wrap3 to re-project my low poly onto the new model and carry on from there.

• almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Wrap-x is great, a real time saver. But it's important to understand that the scan data examples they use in their videos are quite high quality as far as scan data goes.

I'm not saying you should have a fully finished sculpt before doing retop. But it should be clean enough that you don't have to worry about your nice clean topology being thrown off by problems in the mesh. For example, look at the shape of the eyes in your retopo'd mesh, and then the lids and fatty tissues of the eyebrows above them. Look at the ears and how they've just kind of blended into a mass attached to the side of the head instead of being clearly defined shapes.

Those are the things you need to clean before you retopo. After you've done that, and retopo'd then you go in and start with detailing and stuff.
  • Oliver Hopley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    An update on my head after cleaning up the photogrammetry sculpt.

Topology

And the inside of my head:

Hair, gums and teeth still need to be done! :D 
  • Oliver Hopley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some WIP on a set of teeth that I'm making for my self portraight D ;

• jose.fuentes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jose.fuentes interpolator
    you're off to a great start! cant wait to see how this progresses 
  • Oliver Hopley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on my Self Portrait. I retopologised and reprojected my mouth and teeth for that big toothy grin :smiley:

• Oliver Hopley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wasn't happy with my low poly so I have tweeked it;

• Oliver Hopley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So finally did the first pass of my high poly!

All the details are saved into layers so they can easily be cranked up or down.

This is how it baked (Iray render);

And this is what it looks like in UE4!

Reference; [spoiler] [/spoiler]
  • Oliver Hopley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Textured and in UE4 - I used the unreal content example eye shader because eye shaders are hard. I imagine I will have to make one at some point but for previewing it now I think its fine.
  • Oliver Hopley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message