Home General Discussion

Question about sci-fi concept art

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Vehuld polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys. Since childhood, i like sci-fi and all that related to it - robots, space ships, futuristic cars, and so on. That's why I became a hard surface modeler. I learned to model everything I like, figured out the tools, and even got my first job in game dev. But there is one thing that I can't handle with - and this is design.
I had many situations when I found a stunning concept, where I couldn't see some details (for example, the mech's back), and I couldn't finish the model, just because I was too afraid to spoil it with my poor additions. My shapes are too plain and simple, that's it.
I am amazed by people who can paint over a primitive like cube or cylinder, turning it into some kind of amazing device, without changing its overall shape. I tried to find tutorials that open the principles to me and teach me how to combine forms correctly to get a nice looking result.
But all I found was a video with pro's who paint or model a beautiful design directly on the go, without any specific explanations and details.
I tried to find books - and found only advice on the composition of landscapes and photographs.
I tried to go straight, and just copy and mix master's concept art - but every time I get my result,
I see just garbage, and this doesn't make me more optimistic.

And my question is - how to learn to make a good design? Are there any lessons or books that will help me? Or should I just draw\model on until my works get better? I'm pretty sure that I'm missing something obvious and important =(
The rest of the info - just different variations of the same idea. So should i just randomly place big, medium, and small forms until i  get a good result?

Thanks for your attention, and sorry for my very imperfect English.

Replies