Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Apricot Portable| 1984 Portable PC with Voice Recognition and Wireless Keyboard and Mouse

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
joshmtyler polycounter lvl 5
Making a really rad and mostly forgotten about PC from 1984, the Apricot Portable. (Thanks LGR)
I have so many restrictions at work, I just wanted to cut loose on something unimportant.

C&C always welcome!

Simple Reference:

Replies

• joshmtyler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update. Still plenty of work to do. As always, C&C welcomed and appreciated

• joshmtyler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More stickers and material definition!
    I'm calling this section done. Now I have to throw it in Unreal or Marmoset with a little tabletop scene. I have to figure out how to make that part interesting.

• bmasterson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bmasterson polycounter lvl 9
    Looks awesome. Only comment and it's really minor, is that keyboard still looks way too nice. You've given off the vibe of a hard core computer user. Unless they've replaced that keyboard a few times, I imagine there would be some gunk between the keys. Keyboards always pick up hair, skin oils, and all kinds of random stuff. Pretty gross really. Same with the track ball. 
  • joshmtyler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
     "...that keyboard still looks way too nice." 
    You're right. I don't know why, but I was struggling getting this to look better. I am going to move the keys around a bit to make a few look almost broken. Should help. I'll do one final grunge pass though! Maybe get rid of the text paint on a few keys.

Thanks!
  • Carabiner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carabiner greentooth
    +1 to @bmasterson 's comment! One other thing I noticed about the keyboard is your inset oval shapes have pretty defined ridges around them, whereas in your reference, those are more of a gentle curve.

Like this - drew up a quick diagram of the side view. Your keys are on top, what I'm seeing from the ref is bottom:

• root
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    root polycounter lvl 17
    I think the thing I love most about this is that because it's got a transmetropolitan sticker on it, this thing has obviously continued to be in use well into the late 90s.
  • joshmtyler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @CarabinerI see where you are coming from, but in many of my other references, you can see a distinct lip. However, mine definitely has a more abrasive "bowl".

• Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    Rad computer! I've never seen one of these before, such a funky design. I do agree that there is something off about the keys and I think that the lip you have it too strong in comparison to the reference image. I would reduce it down by about 50%
  • joshmtyler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, @Alemja, I am in love with these things! They are so unique. It was the first computer to have voice recognition; up to 6000 words! Wireless keyboard and mouse via infrared. I think I can just simply reduce the height map.