Home Technical Talk

Base Mesh Workflow

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Priabudiman polycounter lvl 8
Up to this point, this workflow still confuse me to start working on my model.
(For information, the software i use is 3Ds Max and Zbrush.)

These are some problems that i have :

• Should i UV unwrap my 3ds max base model before i export/import to zbrush for high detail sculpting? because, so far, I've been doing obj import to zbrush, sculpt it, export it, retopologize it, and bake my low poly model for projections. but i never satisfied with the cluttered auto generated UV from zbrush. I would really love to have a controlled UV afterwards.
  • For texture painting, should i do that in zbrush? or should i do that directly on my base mesh uv map? or if you have some software suggestion for this, it'll be very helpful. So far im still figuring out what should i do to color/paint the texture after i finished with the high poly / sculpted model.

I'd really love to hear your workflow suggestion when you handling something like this. I believe that it can help me work better in handling basic workflow such as this.

My end goal is to have a high detailed (painted/textured) low poly mesh.

Thank you so much in advance, i really can use some helpful tips on this.

Replies

• FourtyNights
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    So, let me assume the "3ds max base model" is your base mesh you use in ZBrush to sculpt your high poly. So no, you don't need to UV unwrap your base mesh, and also you don't need to unwrap your high poly models in general. You said you retopologize your sculpted high poly to create your low poly, but after that I'm confused by the "cluttered auto generated UVs from Zbrush".

Once you've retopoed your sculpt to a new low poly mesh, you'll UV unwrap it in Max, and then bake information from your high poly to your low poly, which has now those new UVs you made in Max. For that I'd suggest Marmoset Toolbag 3's baker, OR the free solution, xNormal.
  • Priabudiman
    Offline / Send Message
    So, let me assume the "3ds max base model" is your base mesh you use in ZBrush to sculpt your high poly. So no, you don't need to UV unwrap your base mesh, and also you don't need to unwrap your high poly models in general. You said you retopologize your sculpted high poly to create your low poly, but after that I'm confused by the "cluttered auto generated UVs from Zbrush".

Once you've retopoed your sculpt to a new low poly mesh, you'll UV unwrap it in Max, and then bake information from your high poly to your low poly, which has now those new UVs you made in Max. For that I'd suggest Marmoset Toolbag 3's baker, OR the free solution, xNormal.
    It seems that i have been doing something wrong, probably because i try to generate uv and normals directly from zbrush and still working on that afterwards,

do you mean that i should unwrap after retopologize, and bake that unwrapped material with the high poly so i can have the details on that? and after that start coloring the material itself?

and terribly sorry for my bad and confusing english.
  • FourtyNights
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    Yeah, don't generate any textures from ZBrush, use either Max's, Marmoset's, Painter's or xNormal's bakers.

Yes, the new retopologized mesh is your low poly and you UV unwrap that. "Bake that unwrapped material with the high poly", hmm... you bake the high poly information to the UVs of your low poly, yeah.

Basically you need to bake tangent space normals, object space normals, ambient occlusion, curvature, position and material ID maps. Then you can use those maps to start the actual texturing process, including "coloring" as you say.
  • Priabudiman
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, don't generate any textures from ZBrush, use either Max's, Marmoset's, Painter's or xNormal's bakers.

Yes, the new retopologized mesh is your low poly and you UV unwrap that. "Bake that unwrapped material with the high poly", hmm... you bake the high poly information to the UVs of your low poly, yeah.

Basically you need to bake tangent space normals, object space normals, ambient occlusion, curvature, position and material ID maps. Then you can use those maps to start the actual texturing process, including "coloring" as you say.
    Many thanks for the guide! ill try to follow those steps right away!