Home Technical Talk

Backing up data, easier than ever

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Lamont polycounter lvl 15

My goal is to keep this short, sweet and hopefully get some people to properly back up their work.

In this day and age, NOT having a backup solution is like playing with fire. I’ve dealt with solutions in the past from running a USB drive along with some kind of back up software to just using Google Drive to get two copies of my data. While the need to protect the OS disk (with all my apps and such) was really low because all I would need to do is log into my account or sign into Steam/Adobe. Email is online and my windows profile doesn't hold much. However, my work would not be so lucky. I needed a less hands-on off the shelf solution.

Two weeks ago I retired my 2009 Mac Mini with 4TB storage space. Setting it up was more of a chore than anything to get it to back up stuff over the network, but it was possible. Then with it running really hot in this Kansai heat and threatening to fail, it was time to take it out back and put a bullet in its head. What I wanted to do was get an all-in-one solution. Disk space should be about the 3TB-6TB mark, as most of my projects are in the 2 - 6GB size. Last week I purchased the 6TB WD Cloud ($440). On paper it seemed to do everything that I would want it to do: back stuff up and allow me to send data to it over the network. Media server is a bonus. The device came in and booted fine. Then I tried to transfer some simple MP3’s over the network to start the process of moving my data. Crash. Took down my PC. Ok. Small hiccup. Did a restart and again… crash. This isn’t looking good. The same day I decided to return the WD Cloud. My time setting up wasn’t pleasant and it seems it had a problem with Windows 10 (specifically the file explorer). So back to Amazon.jp.

I found quite a few solutions for NAS drives. One of them was from the Synology lineup. I purchased the 2-core dual bay setups for about $200 and two 3TB HDD for an additional $90 each. Just a bit shy of $400 after taxes and 3TB less than what I had before. No big deal I hope, as I can add another USB drive for additional storage if I need to.

Setup and install is as simple as plug-and-play. My personal work and contract work are backed up constantly to two locations: one is on-site to the Synology NAS and another location is off-site via Crashplan. I wanted to get Crashplan to run on the NAS, but it was turning out to be more of a chore than I wanted, but hopefully there will  be a version coming soon that is easy to install for someone as simple like myself. Not so bad for a modest setup.

Now I feel I have total protection should the unthinkable happen. Being more responsible with how I deal with personal and client data. The tech is there, the hardware is relatively cheap, the software is reliable and very easy to use, there is no reason NOT to have some kind of backup. You can go with just Crashplan and get awesome service for $5 a month, which is what I had considered doing first. But the added bonus of freeing up disk space by putting all my videos and music on a remote drive was too alluring.

Hopefully the need to test this system won’t come for a while.

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    +9000 to a NAS with remote backup. Anything else isn't proper backup. I picked up a 4 bay Synology and I quite like it. I put two 3TB drives in for now and will probably throw some bigger drives in when I start running out of space.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I should have gotten the 4 bay, just photos are a space eater (PSD's, RAW's).
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Oh nice, I was going to suggest dropbox for version control, but it looks like crashplan has version control as well. Nice!

I will say though that if we're talking about an easy solution, Dropbox Pro would probably be the easiest for the average user. Literally just buy it, put all your art related stuff into the folder, and forget about it. It has version control if something is overwritten/deleted and it's easy to access your files from wherever, which can be super helpful if you're working on separate computers.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I bought an Acer Revo One as media-center / NAS. The little thing holds up to 6 TB, hosts a local mercurial repository and backs my stuff up to the cloud. I use bittorrent sync to sync all my stuff to the Acer in the background from all my different PCs at home.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    I have a win 10 64bit with an SSD for apps and os and an onboard 1TB HD for files and a 1TB external for backup. I use one found here  free file sync to backup daily. There is a warning about the installation of the most recent versions on the page link. Saw you got rid of your old mac but couldnt see if you are going win or mac or not. If mac then the above wont work I guess.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    beefaroni said:
    Oh nice, I was going to suggest dropbox for version control, but it looks like crashplan has version control as well. Nice!

I will say though that if we're talking about an easy solution, Dropbox Pro would probably be the easiest for the average user. Literally just buy it, put all your art related stuff into the folder, and forget about it. It has version control if something is overwritten/deleted and it's easy to access your files from wherever, which can be super helpful if you're working on separate computers.
    Seems like dropbox drastically reduced prices, they were totally ridiculous before.
    https://www.sync.com/features/
    Sync is pretty great, seemed to be the best cloud after my research. More features and less expensive and no 30 day version limit. 
    We have everything on sync and turtoise SVN, works great.

I also backup to a harddrive using Bvckup 2, which is a very nice programm with outstanding UI. Create syncronity work too for free.

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga said:
    I have a win 10 64bit with an SSD for apps and os and an onboard 1TB HD for files and a 1TB external for backup. I use one found here  free file sync to backup daily. There is a warning about the installation of the most recent versions on the page link. Saw you got rid of your old mac but couldnt see if you are going win or mac or not. If mac then the above wont work I guess.
    Obligatory PSA:

While backing up to an external drive is better than nothing, it's not what I would consider reliable backup. To properly back up your data, you should store files at minimum with 2 local copies and 1 remote copy. Having a backup on a drive sitting in your house next to your computer won't help you in the case of fire, flood or theft.

Also, because it needs to be said: Backing up to DVD is also not reliable backup. DVD media degrades over time and should not be used for long term/archival purposes.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Oh the sync 500gb could be perfect for now and a bit cheaper than dropbox. Feature list looks good too.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    +1 for Crashplan. Unlimited size for cloud backup, easy local backups, and to top it off I can encrypt everything with my own key. Dropbox can't do this, last I checked.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for this thread! I was just thinking about this yesterday and wondering what some of the better and modern solutions are out there.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Obligatory PSA:

While backing up to an external drive is better than nothing, it's not what I would consider reliable backup. To properly back up your data, you should store files at minimum with 2 local copies and 1 remote copy. Having a backup on a drive sitting in your house next to your computer won't help you in the case of fire, flood or theft.
    Yup, there are a number of free alternatives for online storage and here is also a list of considerations that make sense: http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/best-free-online-backup-sites.htm

• ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    Do these NAS drives manage backing up for you, or do you need to spend time copying files around and managing your backups yourself?

This is something that I want to and REALLY need to get on, but I'm scared to organize the 4TB of messy crap I've accumulated over the years and then have to worry about backups not reflecting nuanced changes I make over time.

What I mean is that it would be invaluable to have a system that lets me just press a button and 1-1 backup a drive once a week, day, or whenever I want. I've spent some time looking into this but I haven't found something good that lets you do a 1-1 copy of your data where when you overwrite stuff on the master drive, it propagates those changes out (including renaming, deletions, etc). I want a file backup system that works just like repo commits.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    somedoggy said:
    Do these NAS drives manage backing up for you, or do you need to spend time copying files around and managing your backups yourself?

Mine works on nightly backups of specified directories automatically using CrashPlan, (computer has to be on obviously). One goes offsite, the other to the NAS. Some NAS do have this feature, but you still have to install software on the host machine.

As someone said, Crashplan is unlimited for $60 a year, a good choice.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    Using Dropbox for backup sounds convenient, but I have a concern; using the desktop application, it doesn't seem to be possible to choose which drive the dropbox folder is located in. Are these files actually stored locally at all? Software can access them as if they are. If this case though, it makes it kind of crappy for backup, since the files would be taking up space on my main SSD.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dropbox files are indeed local. But yeah anything you want to backup has to be moved into that location. An exception is my phone's Dropbox app, I've set it to auto-upload all my camera shots, which it puts into my Dropbox, regardless of the DCIM location in my phone.

I have my Crashplan set to constant backup. Which is nice if I accidentally delete a new file, since I can usually get it right back. It also automatically does incrementals which is pleasant.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually, my bad. It is indeed local as you said, but you can choose the folder location inside the settings, which you can find by directly running the program.
    This seems like it should also work fairly well as source control.
  • Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    I've been super interested in finding ways to backup my stuff, this thread is gold. How should I go about choosing which NAS device, like a Synology, to buy? Having open bays seems like a smart purchase, but with so many of them out there, it seems terrifying to drop around 400 bucks on a box you don't know for sure will give you the best quality it can provide.  
  • jazznazz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jazznazz polycounter lvl 13
    I've been using BitSync for something like a year now - https://getsync.com/. It's basically offline Dropbox - syncing only between the machines you set it up on. Free, the only limit is your disk storage, and you can sync whatever number of machines you want. Plus its fast and reliable when collaborating with clients.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo said:
    How should I go about choosing which NAS device, like a Synology, to buy? 
    Read reviews. Synology looks really good, I don't have one but apparently their native software is really good. Thinking about getting one. I'm running my NAS on a spare PC in the basement, but it uses a lot more electricity than I need for just a NAS device.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I considered building a basic pc from spare parts to work as a NAS but a pre-build Synology system is a lot easier to set up and maintain.

As to which one you want, just read reviews as Eric states. I would get at least a 2-bay one for Raid 1. A 4 bay NAS so you have room to add extra space in the future is a good idea. Unless you're planing on using the NAS as a file server to stream high quality media, you can go with a NAS with lower end specs (cpu/ram).

When it comes to picking out the right hard drive, make sure to look for NAS compatible drives. Standard HDs can burn out when used in NAS applications. Speed doesn't matter for NAS (your drives will be faster than your LAN most likely) so just get the biggest NAS compat drive(s) you can afford.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I use dropbox for all sorts of working art stuff, sharing files between our team and making sure that my current work is backed up.

I use a google drive account for backup now, but looking at crash plan I might switch to that as I'm likely to hit the 1TB limit on my drive account soon.
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Millenia polycount sponsor
    Gonna throw my +1 behind a Synology NAS as well, I bought a preconfigured one off Scan a while ago with 12TB worth of drives (8.1 usable, RAID 5) for a few hundred quid and it was literally a matter of plugging it in. The damn thing's so speedy I can use it like an internal hard drive.

Would definitely recommend some form of online back-up on top of a NAS, obviously. Can't have too much security!
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    jazznazz said:
    I've been using BitSync for something like a year now - https://getsync.com/. It's basically offline Dropbox - syncing only between the machines you set it up on. Free, the only limit is your disk storage, and you can sync whatever number of machines you want. Plus its fast and reliable when collaborating with clients.
    That's what I use to sync all my devices to a central backup location. And from there then up into the cloud... I guess crashplan could come handy here with its unlimited space.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you have a relative or someone with a reliable internet connection (and trust worthy not to trash your stuff), you can set up your own off-site backup solution and bypass the yearly/monthly fee some of these services have. 
  • L0ckeness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    L0ckeness polycounter lvl 5
    Lamont- I love that idea, never thought of exploiting friends and family for their data backup capabilities :) Currently using dropbox pro, but getsync has piqued my interest.
  • another caveman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    another caveman greentooth
    Hello! Thanks for advices!
    I subscribed yesterday for a year with Crashplan and started my backups.
    It seems like it's gonna take 24 days to backup - and only a few of my data, I didnt back up the whole PC to begin with)
    Any way to speed that up? Googled it, changed the maximum kbs, I will check tonight if it did affect it or not.
    Also, seems like there are no way to use it with Tortoise SVN, but can I still update/commit from my different PCs? Thats what I understood from your description but it is quite blurry still in my mind. Thanks again

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crashplan is slow on initial backup, no way around that as far as I could tell. But it's fairly speedy on incrementals after that's done.

I haven't assigned any of my SVN/Perforce/Github folders in Crashplan, as they're backed up already in their own clouds. But I don't see why you couldn't simply add the root SVN folder to your backup list.
  • another caveman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright thanks!
    About the SVN use, I mean:
    I have a X folder at home, I want to use data from this folder at work but not all of it, is there a way to download only x or y folder on the other computer, work on some stuff, and commit it so it's also updated at home ?
    Sorry if I am not clear, I am myself a little lost with those softwares -
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, that's basic source control usage.

Go inside the folder you want to update, right-click, get latest. It won't get any files in any other folders.

If you want to get ev erything updated for the whole project, then you go to the root folder instead.
  • another caveman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great thanks!
    Will give it a try... in 24 days I guess !
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update: Have not had a single issue. The device has been working well doing what it's supposed to do. Another plus is that Google Drive and DropBox are always syncing up, so when there's a file added, it's already downloaded and available on my local network.
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
    Nice OP; others are already ahead of you.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice OP; others are already ahead of you.
    Thank you CreativeSheep for your keen insight. I am very aware that I am not the first individual to do this, however, looking at threads that were started ("How to back up?", "I lost my data.." "Klingons stole my HDD"), and looking at how I personally "backed up data", I went off and gave it a shot myself, then shared the info.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update for me: I bought a QNAP NAS, put a couple 6 TB drives in it.

Crashplan works on it, with a little fiddling (have to remote in from a PC to config backup settings, thereafter it just runs fine).

Ripped all my DVDs to it, works great as a movie server. Also backs up from PCs around the house.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Breaking news: Crashplan is exiting the consumer market. 
    http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170822005727/en/Code42-Focus-Exclusively-Rapidly-Growing-Business-Enterprise

Bummer. Now I need to find a replacement that covers all the things I liked about Crashplan, at an affordable price.
    • Unlimited backup size
    • Cloud + local backups
    • Continuous backup
    • Incrementals
    • Any folders
    • 5 devices
    • NAS support
    • Encrypted, with a custom user key

Crashplan Home was $150/year for me, while Small Business is $600/year for 5 machines. Even if I did only 2 machines, it would be $240/year.

Ugh.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Backblaze seems like a good alternative. 5$ a month, unlimited storage, multiple file versions and restoration, supposedly compatible with external devices.
    I'm going to look into getting it to work with my NAS.
    -Edit- Nevermind, they explicitly refuse to back up NAS devices, because they don't think the amount of data being stored that way would match their price point.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any update on what you went with, @Eric Chadwick and @Grimwolf ?
    it'd be nice to keep this thread up to date with current options.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Literally nothing. Right now I'm just using my NAS without any additional online backup
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haven't made the switch yet. Crashplan is still functioning until the switchover, so I have a few months to figure out a replacement.
  • hansolocambo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hansolocambo polycounter lvl 8
    I personally use Synchredible to synchronize between folders and/or hard drives. It's free, quiet straightforward. And Dropbox 1TB for €99.00 a year. Well worth the investment (way more expensive than hard drives solution, but it offers quiet some nice security extras).
  • another caveman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haven't made the switch yet. Crashplan is still functioning until the switchover, so I have a few months to figure out a replacement.

I feel like I should share this
    I was using Crashplan until it recently closed and was very (very) satisfied with it.
    As they shut it they recommended switching to Carbonite, which I did and was very disappointed as backup of your .obj is not guaranteed and the download feature to get file(s) back on your or another computer is very different and doesn't let you download multiple folders at once. Means you gotta avoid using folders or spend time clicking on each one of them.

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yuck. Reminder to find a new solution or provider. 

I also had trouble with Carbonite. Iirc they didn't back up video files, unless I manually selected them. Also, I think they might not work with NAS.
  • TTools
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TTools polycounter lvl 4
    For those on a very tight (no budget), and extremely simple home setups, consider checking out this freeware:
    https://www.2brightsparks.com/freeware/index.html
    They also offer commercial versions as well.  I've used the freeware for the last year and have been very pleased.  While it does not offer source control, if you're looking for a simple way to automate synchronization of drives or folders to a backup, SyncBackFree can handle it.  I set up a fairly simple profile in the software that runs every night.  It scans the local folders I have chosen, and mirrors my backup drive only with those changes.  This makes the backup process very quick and efficient.
    I will reiterate, this is a poor mans setup, and the previous advice regarding NAS and remote storage is far superior and should be heeded.