Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

USR "Ghost" rework - Fractured Space

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
Millenia polycount sponsor
I finished this last month but never got around to posting it here, so here you go. I posted some of my earlier progress on the cloaking module of this ship over in this thread if you're curious. Original concept art by Mike Hill

The main purpose of this rework was to optimize the ship which I'd say I succeeded quite well at, taking the triangle count down from 347k to 170k and the amount of materials has gone down from 19 to 7. I also wanted to treat this rework as a platform for new ship shaders which will be eventually rolled out to all of our ships and are already now being used by a handful of our recent reworks ( 1 2 3 4 ). This new shader applies grunge, edge wear and general colour variation etc effects in Unreal 4, mostly mapped triplanarly to disguise the low-res nature of the uniquely UV'd parts on the ships. It also includes powerful procedural skin creation features which I want to expand on in a further breakdown of its own if I'm able to do that.

Lastly, this rework was treated as a benchmark asset, a new bar for all my ships to hit so I've got a nice reference point.
More images on my Artstation post for this thing

Replies