Home Technical Talk

Error: Note subdividing the current mesh will produce a mesh with polygons count larger then

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
ISUther polycounter lvl 6
Hello, 

I have sculpt in zbrush 
Sculpt has 4 milion polygons. 
That is only model i have loaded no other sub tools. 
I selected the model with mask and selected "Add masekd to polygoup" to make sure that it is all in same poly group.
Dynamesh is active.
I de-selected dynamesh and selected "Divide" and i get a message

Note subdividing the current mesh will produce a mesh with polygons count larger then specified in the preferences:mem options 

What may cause this?

Replies

• Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    Probably the fact that it will generate a mesh larger than specified in the preferences:mem options...

How much RAM have you got? You may not have enough to fit all that data
  • ISUther
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have had sculpts that have 15 million polygons in it. (as one sub tool)
    So it is not a ram issue. 
    I can same time remove that model and import in other model i sculpted and divide it up way more then 4 million polygons with no problems. 

• Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    Yes but 4 million times 4, is 16 million.

Check the preferences file and turn the amount of memory up.
  • ISUther
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If i have 4 million model and i divide it one time it will be 8 million nopt 16 million. 
    If i divide 8 million it will be 16 million. 
    I have model with 4 million and i wanted to divide it 1 time that means from 4 million to 8 million. 

IIt is not related to the memory issue.
    But thnx for trying to help me.
  • Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    I never actually said it was a memory issue. It's Zbrush trying to make sure you don't run out of memory check the preferences like it says. How could it be any simpler?

Also how do you subdivide a face into 2?
  • .Wiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    ISUther said:
    If i have 4 million model and i divide it one time it will be 8 million nopt 16 million. 
    I have model with 4 million and i wanted to divide it 1 time that means from 4 million to 8 million. 

If you subdivide a quad you create 4 quads. So you raise your polycount times 4 with each subdivision-step.
  • Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    .Wiki said:
    ISUther said:

If you subdivide a quad you create 4 quads. So you raise your polycount times 4 with each subdivision-step.
    Yup what's more, a triangle becomes 3 quads. I can't remember whether dynamesh produces tris too but if it does, that also contributes a lot.