Home Career & Education

How much time do you dedicate to finish a 3d model or finish a whole project?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
visionarymindful polycounter lvl 6
Hello y'all! Hope everyone's doing fine

It is true that every individual works different and gives a difference performance when it comes to draw/sculpt.
How much time do you guys need (with or without breaks ,or all together) to finish an artwork?

For example I need from 3 around to 5 hours to finish a artwork but in case I don't really have a knowledge on to create further then it would take me like a week or so ...

Replies

• CrackRockSteady
    This is sort of like the questions that get posted here now and then like "How many polys should a model be?"  "What resolution texture do you use for your models?"  "How long do professional artists spend on a character/weapon/environment?"

As JoshuaG has said, the answer is "it depends".  What sort of model are you making?  What type of game is the model intended for?  If you're making something incredibly intricate intended for a first person game where the player will see the model up close you'll want to spend a lot more time making everything look amazing than if the model is a wooden crate intended for an RTS game where it will only ever see a few pixels of screen space.  

Don't worry too much about how much time it takes you to complete any given project, just keep in mind good practices while you're working, work efficiently, and make it look amazing.  With each successive project you work on you'll get faster and better.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    I'm finding I move a lot faster modeling, when I work on it for a few days, and then I compare screenshots of how much time I got to each step and how can I employ new strategies to make my work go faster.

For example, in an environment I'm working on, I specifically want to put all the attention to detail towards houses that will be closest to the camera. If I were to build an entire city by scratch, that would take me 6+ months. But because I'm not concerned with what objects occupy space that's located 50m away from the hero buildings, I find its best to brute force LOD's that take a fraction of the time to make but would look ok at a distance.

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

"How much time do you dedicate to finish a 3d model or finish a whole project?"

As much as I'm able during periods of downtime in between work commitments, that I have to say seems to be contracting, of late :P 

• aryarie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aryarie triangle
    At the moment I think it takes me about 3-4 weeks to finish something, working between 1-3 hours a day. It's veeeerrry slow, but I am learning to do this stuff at the same time so I just try not to think about it too much, lol. D: Most of my time is spent painting textures though and being new means that I end up re-painting a LOT.
  • Domslice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Domslice polycounter lvl 8
    Unsurprisingly the answer to this question seems to vary wildly from one artist to another.

Having a day-job doing 3D has significantly slowed down my personal work. I tend to spend more time in my physical sketchbook lately simply in order to have a break from the screen. With this live-work balance thing I'd say my latest fully textured/rendered model took about 3 months! 

• Larry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    After 1 year of self teaching and having no portfolio yet, what i do at the moment is take my time to create what i want and that is working correctly with the normal maps etc. Some examples are an architectural interior took me 2 weeks to model, just the walls/ceiling/columns. A modular pipe set that i made took me about 2 days but the pipes are somewhat complicated as well. If you do this part time on your free time, a simple single piece with some normal map detail can take you 2 days easily. Always try to create shortcuts to speed up your workflow