Home Technical Talk

Beginner looking for rigging advice

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hi everyone,

I've recently decided to expand my skill set into rigging and I'm running into a bit of an issue that I was hoping to get some insight on. 

I'm working on a book that I would like to do the following:

- Independent cover movement (ie: open just the cover, lay the book open flat, etc)
- morph the block of pages based on whether the book is open or not
- have a few pages that can be animated independently of the block of pages

So far, I can get the binding to close, but I'm getting a number of clipping and deforming issues (ie: the cover clips into itself when pulled to far back). 

I'm not looking for anyone to necessarily give me the answer, I'm just asking if anyone can just point me in the right direction. Is there anything you can recommend to help me accomplish my task? 

Below is the default pose for the model.

Thanks for your time.

Replies

• Noth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noth polycounter lvl 15
    first of all your model needs to be able to do those things. It looks like your cover and pages are modelled all in one big piece. You'll have to break the block of pages out from the cover, similar to how you have the two blocks of pages separate and then also model an individual page that can turn if you want that. Sounds like you should just break that big page up into a few smaller ones. You don't have to have the whole mesh water tight either. You can have the cover one mesh, then each page it's own mesh with it's verts snapped to the spine of the book. Just like in real life. Once you set the book up right the rigging should be pretty straight forward, a few bones.
  • Bullseye8841
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right on, Noth! Thanks for your help. I'll give it a try.