Home Career & Education

Remote Work: 3D modeling or 2D Concept Art?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
ReneFisher polycounter lvl 6
Greetings polycounters! 

I'm in a bit of a dilemma, and I wanted to hear your take on it. I currently consider myself a 3D artist (Mostly props, buildings, with a bit of environments) and I am currently unemployed. To add to the problem, circumstances mean that I can't work on-site anywhere and that remote-work is my only option. I have gotten fairly lucky with a few part-time jobs to sustain me over the past 2 years (in both 3D and 2D), but I've hit a roadblock and have had a hard time getting full-time-ish work.

My main question is this: Should I continue trying to find remote work as a 3D artist or should I pivot? Is there enough remote 3D artist jobs out there to be sustainable? I am in a situation now where I have the luxury to work on my portfolio to improve my marketability, but I'm not sure if it would be a waste of time trying to improve my 3D portfolio if there simply aren't jobs willing to go the remote route. What should I be working on to get a remote job? I feel like I've seen far more concept artist jobs out there that are remote work, and I wouldn't be starting from scratch as a concept artist (my minor is in concept art and while I need a ton of improvement I'm not starting from 0). I could also pivot to 3D character art as well as that seems to have more remote work opportunities but I feel there's a ton of competition there already. I've also considered things like arch-viz, jewelry modeling, and illustration.

if it helps, my portfolio is at https://www.renefisher.com/ and includes examples of 3D and 2D so you have an idea of where I am starting at. Again, I realize I'd have to work hard to get myself to be a decent enough concept artist to get a job, but I have the time and dedication to do that, I'm just not sure if it'd be any easier to find remote work.

Replies

• Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    I`m no 2D artist so don`t take what I say as fact, but from what I see in your portfolio it looks like you would have a better chance finding work with your 3D work, maybe for mobile? I might be damaged by living in japan where everyone seems to be a concept artist but comparing your 3D to your 2D work your 3D work seems better and more stable in quality.
  • ReneFisher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ReneFisher polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks, I appreciate your advice! I've gotten a few small things for mobile but they never ended up getting released... seems like a common occurrence in mobile, but it sucks when you'd like to have a "shipped" game under your belt. 

I'd agree that my concept art skills aren't there yet, but I'd be "training" every day as if it were a full time job if I went that route instead. Wouldn't have to trouble myself with job hunting until I knew I was ready. 
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    I think if you are looking to make a stable income 3D might be the more safe way to go, I know at least here in Japan 2D can be a very harsh business, might have a lot to do that there are more people doing it over here.

But at least from what I have heard from friends that are freelancing over here both japanese and foreigners are that even big companies can pay really bad and that they use competitions and fans to get 2D work done for free or cheap. anime artists at many studios also get the bare minimum. I remember I lived at a share house back in the day and a woman that lived there was a senior artist over at the studio making pokemon and she still had to live at a share house as well as she was always quite worried about money.

But yeah the situation on the western market might look very different, hopefully someone else can spread some light on that.
  • Larry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    Have you tried making things for turbosquid on your free time? Find a niche there, and dominate it. Also why not freelancing? If you stick with it and do this full time I believe you will get more as time goes by..
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    I think 3D might provide a more stable job, unless you find yourself a (potentially not-game-related) niche that pays the bills. Concept art has a high skill bar and lots of competition, though don't let that stop you if it what you'd rather do.

A side note, I know you didn't ask for crit but you need to cull your portfolio, I think. There's stuff from like 3+ years ago in here. Replace it or just get rid of it. Surely you have something more recent than 2015 that you can show?