Home General Discussion

Tired Game Mechanics Discussion

Greg DAlessandro
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Greg DAlessandro polycounter lvl 6
The goal of this thread is to discuss game mechanics that seem to never really change and to generate innovative ideas in which they can be improved upon or uniquely used. I'd love to see the ingenuity that collaborating can bring, and to talk about games who made great use of a game play mechanic. 

Here is a great video that gives an in-depth analysis about cover mechanics in third person shooters:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSGSj-evneo

Have you noticed any elements in games that you believe don't seem to add value to game play or that can be improved upon? 

In stealth games recognizing enemy behavior patterns becomes pretty apparent. I typically only ever see three types of enemies: guards that patrol, guards that remain at a post, and guards that are preoccupied (eating/sleeping/talking). You never really see them alter or trade their behavior patterns. For example, If an enemy is alerted or suspicious they might change their behavior for a while, but then they go back to whatever they were doing before as if nothing happened. Why not add a fluctuating alertness meter (almost like, but not to the extreme of, when you are on the cusp of dozing in and out in a classroom) and have patrolling commanding officer that "keeps them in check" which increases or restores their "alertness" and alters their behavior (ie. patrolling pattern, the way in which guards at a post look around in place, etc) for a mild amount of time while the patrolling commanding officer is in their vicinity. 

Replies

• Flight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flight polycounter lvl 10
    AI behaviour and static actors in open world games. A guard doesn´t just wonder around the same spot for days on end. They switch locations, go on brakes, eat lunch, go home etc. Same goes for the inhabitants of the world. 

Not every game needs it, and it probably goes over the head of a lot of players, but I do believe that when it´s done properly it helps cement the game world (witcher 3 does it successfully). Feeling the game world being somewhat alive, actions happening without you instigating them, is pretty awesome. 

Currently playing Ghost Recon Wildlands and really enjoying it, but it could use some love in this department.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    Challenge-free progressing from point A to point B, usually involving wall climbing and - dear god why - very slowly shimmying along ledges. Often done with very slick visuals these days which give a sense of pretend gameplay, but when its just a case of pressing button after button with no skill involved whatsoever and comprises about 80% of the level, it is just the worst kind of expensive ooh-hark-at-me filler. I'm looking at you, Uncharted.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    1. a closed off room with waves of enemies that need to be cleared before you....
    2. watch a cutscene that furthers the story before you...
    3. climb up a bunch of shit before you...
    4. do a super simple puzzle before you...
    5. go back to number 1.
    Points 1 through 4 can be shuffled.

• Jakob Gavelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakob Gavelli interpolator
    It's almost as if mechanics can be used as a tool to convey and enhance different narratives and emotions. Talking about them out of context you can make any mechanic sound stupid and unimportant. And reducing mechanics to "just pushing buttons" is describing literally the only input and interaction in most games except waggling a stick around.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Quick-time events.
    Using a compass or directional navigation pointers when the landscape is designed to stop players from walking straight there. 
    Giving players a lot of loot but poor ways to manage it.
    Dialog options that are just 3 different ways of saying yes. 
  • Jarran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarran polycounter lvl 11
    Collect x amount of x then move onto another area and collect y amount of x  :'(
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Not really a game mechanic but ticking checkboxes on open world game, makes the whole story/ chapter feels disconnected one to another.
    Games like Metal Gear Solid V or Mirror's Edge Catalyst, used to be great game but once become open world, for me, it feels less the impact.
  • Bletzkarn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bletzkarn polycounter lvl 6
    As someone who was heavily into the bhop and surf community one thing a lot of games forget about is movement. Specifically freedom of movement. I really detest AAA games that provide a "roller coaster" experience. Invisible walls, time-consuming animation locked sequences, just clunky controls in general.
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    In games where choice is a big mechanic, not having the ability to choose to become a much bigger asshole than the villain. 
    Legend of Zelda, Why cant i just slay my allies instead of talking to them? End the game in a n hour
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    If you make AI more realistic in a game it becomes too difficult for the player to understand the AI behavior. The whole point of having patrolling patterns is because you're supposed to be able to figure out where the guards are next. It isn't that hard to make an AI that behaves randomly but then it would be hard to convey to the player how you're supposed to defeat that AI. 
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    In games where choice is a big mechanic, not having the ability to choose to become a much bigger asshole than the villain. 
    Legend of Zelda, Why cant i just slay my allies instead of talking to them? End the game in a n hour

Strange to use Zelda as an example, since you literally play as a reincarnated 'hero' chosen by the gods in every game. Dark Souls might be more your milieu. 
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Fuiosg said:

Strange to use Zelda as an example, since you literally play as a reincarnated 'hero' chosen by the gods in every game. Dark Souls might be more your milieu. 
    I just want to be able to use the fire arrows on anyone I want. is thattoo much to ask?
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I just want to be able to use the fire arrows on anyone I want. is thattoo much to ask?
    Yeah, pretty much. Would be too easy to break the game and story entirely, if you can just kill anyone you want.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    to its credit, Morrowind allowed this back in the day. kill anyone you want in the whole game world. if you whack a plot critical character the game just warns you not to save. 
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel said:
    [...] the game just warns you not to save. 
    Damn, now I wonder what if you save the game after? haha
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Morrowind just kills any quest lines related to dead characters. It's kinda boring since the game doesn't adapt. 

I'd appreciate if npcs would just kick your ass it you attacked them, or ran away.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Why cant i just slay my allies instead of talking to them? End the game in a n hour
    Ah yes, the Jorg of Ancrath approach. This is why I really like sandbox or ImSim type games (Deus Ex, Dishonored, to a much lesser extent STALKER/Arma) that give you freedom to figure out solutions to problems, rather than having one fixed way to progress. The original Deus Ex was fantastic at giving you options and not overtly telling you; if you miss something, too bad. If you take the time to examine and question things, you might be in for a pleasant surprise. Admittedly it must be quite a nightmare to plan out a coherent story if you give the player ultimate freedom, especially on replays when they'll know who can't be trusted and so on. Still, it's annoying to have the Oblivion-style solution of plot-critical characters being invulnerable for no reason; come up with an in-universe explanation for why that is if you can't plan around that necessity.

Now that I think about it, Planescape: Torment somewhat fits your description; you can kill all of your companions if you wish (and the game on occasion compels you to do so at certain critical moments), but not every NPC — iirc there are in-universe explanations though, i.e. they're way more powerful than you —  and some companions you can skip meeting altogether. But apart from skipping dialogue it doesn't speed up the game that much, and it's debatable how much of an asshole the game actually lets you be. Dishonored lets you kill almost everyone (as well killing no one at all), but it's a bit heavy-handed in painting you as 'evil' in the first case and benevolent in the latter, when some of the non-lethal solutions are arguably fates worse than death.

• Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    Repetitive, boring tasks that seem to have no other purpose than to artificially enlarge the content. Even though they are mostly optional, they distract and you don't know it's such a kind of task before you actually started it, even worse when they have different stages e.g. first find 5 XYZ and afterwards you have to find 5x5 XYZ...

Minimaps can be very distracting and I feel like playing the minimap and not the game. Often optional, but in that case other things that rely on the minimap use can be missed. Deus Ex Mankind Divided or Witcher 3 come to mind, especially in the cities it's so much more fun to walk.
    Generally I'm not a fan of huge UI elements that fill up the screen for all kinds of usable items or similar.

Quicktime events and generally popups when to press what not. It must be clear from the content which actions are usable or not, otherwise you an show a black screen with button popups only.

I don't mind if certain NPCs are not killable. 
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Grinding, I want no part of that. Unlocking petty stuff just cause you spent 6 hours doing it, makes it no less petty. I find it offensive when games don't respect players' time.
  • Larry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    After playing and eventually stop playing World of Warcraft and League of Legends, i feel like other games are just up to no par with these 2... I want to challenge myself with the best people around.
    I feel like World of Warcraft has set the bar too high, but in the end they couldn't maintain it.(with both their PvP and PvE). And now me and other gamers as well need something more challenging and complicated, but as good at the same time. All other MMO's i've played are not good enough and the only interesting choice left is to try the Final Fantasy MMO though i dont want to pay a subscription for a game.