Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Anatomy, and getting good with sculpting eyes

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
p.francescoven polycounter lvl 3
Hi guys. 
I'm 24 years old, and I'm a self taught 3D (wannabe) character artist. 
I've started learning Zbrush and Maya some years ago, done some course with Gnomon Online about it, but never really put my efforts into it at 100% mostly because I felt unmotivated by lots of different things, so my skills kinda developed slowly (especially in Character Modeling) 
Anyway, I feel better now, and I've started to work on my skills on a daily basis. My goal right now is to get quite good with human anatomy and start my first 3D Character, and complete it. 
Right now, this is a basic human male model i've sculpted thanks to Rafael Grassetti's tutorial on gumrod, but i really can't sculpt the eyes! Anyway, what do you think about it? Are proportions ok? Any tips on how to sculpt those eyes? Thanks guys, love you!!

Replies

• Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    Overal I think you are to a really good start. Here just a couple of pointers

One thing though - never ever sculpt a face with perspective turned off in Zbrush. Hit the 'p'-key and see the difference. You might want to use a different angle of view instead of 50 - something like ~25, just get away from the 'orthographic' display in Zbrush.

For the eyes - especially if you go into games, don't sculpt them. Insert spheres as subtools and sculpt around them. The average human eye is 24mm, from pupil to pupil its ~ 6,5 cm for men, and 6 cm for women. This gives you are reference point in the face to sculpt. There is a really good eye tutorial from Peter Zoppi on Gumroad.

I hope some of this helps.
  • p.francescoven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag said:
    Overal I think you are to a really good start. Here just a couple of pointers

One thing though - never ever sculpt a face with perspective turned off in Zbrush. Hit the 'p'-key and see the difference. You might want to use a different angle of view instead of 50 - something like ~25, just get away from the 'orthographic' display in Zbrush.

For the eyes - especially if you go into games, don't sculpt them. Insert spheres as subtools and sculpt around them. The average human eye is 24mm, from pupil to pupil its ~ 6,5 cm for men, and 6 cm for women. This gives you are reference point in the face to sculpt. There is a really good eye tutorial from Peter Zoppi on Gumroad.

I hope some of this helps.
    Hey man thanks for the tips! I did notice that there was something off about the height of the character, and of course also about the face, but I really couldn't see what it was! Thanks for the tips! :)
  • Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    No prob :)

The thing that is lately helping me a lot when doing faces - after roughly an hour get a screengrab from Zbrush using the snapshot function placing it next to the refs and take a break for a couple of minutes. Then come back and mark in PS all things I notice on the screenshot. It makes a huge difference looking at the 2d image compared to looking to the sculpt. It forces your brain to rethink what it sees. After that I can return to ZBrush and fix the stuff.
  • p.francescoven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag said:
    No prob :)

The thing that is lately helping me a lot when doing faces - after roughly an hour get a screengrab from Zbrush using the snapshot function placing it next to the refs and take a break for a couple of minutes. Then come back and mark in PS all things I notice on the screenshot. It makes a huge difference looking at the 2d image compared to looking to the sculpt. It forces your brain to rethink what it sees. After that I can return to ZBrush and fix the stuff.
    Totally gonna do this :)
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moved this to 3D Showcase. This is not a Career & Education -themed thread; when you're seeking art feedback, use Showcase.