Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Procedurally generated landscape

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Macattackk polycounter lvl 7
I have a procedurally generated landscape system for a strategy game I'm working on and would like some critique on how I can make it look more accurate and realistic.

The set up consists of tiled 2d sprite textures that exist within a 3d environment.  The mountains pop up out of the ground plane and cast shadows on to it. The ground plane is tilted at an angle to the orthogonal camera to create a sense of perspective.

If anything stands out as looking wonky, inaccurate, or just any tips on how to enhance it, Id love to know!

Replies

• Benvox2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benvox2 polycounter lvl 10
    Looks really nice! The only thing that stands out to me is that the sand appears to be a flat colour. I think adding a subtle colour variation would help. Like what you have with the grass but maybe a bit weaker.
  • Macattackk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! Thats a great critique. I took what you said in mind and put some more color variation in the desert. I basically gave the shadows a different hue compared to the highlights. I think it looks more settled into the landscape now.

• Benvox2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benvox2 polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks! Thats a great critique. I took what you said in mind and put some more color variation in the desert. I basically gave the shadows a different hue compared to the highlights. I think it looks more settled into the landscape now.

That has a much better feeling now! The different hue in the shadow also adds a lot more interest.
  • Macattackk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benvox2 said:
    That has a much better feeling now! The different hue in the shadow also adds a lot more interest.
    Thank you!

I recently have been working on trying to get some of the map to be more crisp, especially the mountains. I am making the objects that stand out from the ground be pixel perfect and have no image blur filters on them so they can be sharper. Unfortunately I can't do the same to textures that lay flat on the ground as they are rotated at an angle to the camera so they cause some artifacting when there are no image filters present. Also fixed the mountain tree lines and added some snow on top to make them stand out more. Once I start adding seasons to the game, there will be more or less snow depending on the time of year it is.

The ocean beaches have been made more omni directional as well. Earlier the ripples in the sand were only in one direction which didn't make as much sense.

I added in some of the buildings to the screenshots to show more of what I'm going for in the game. Maybe there are critiques with how well those sit within the landscape.

• Macattackk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres a gif of the day to night cycle to show the shadows at work and the color transitions that happen. Any critiques on how anything could be better?

• Macattackk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taking a break on the landscape and making the art better for disasters which strike it. I've added forest fires which only occur on fully forested areas and I've added hurricanes that strike on the shorelines. Any critiques on how I can make them look better/more realistic?