Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tileable stylized wall texture

SergeyA
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
SergeyA polycounter lvl 6
Hi

I've been trying to create a tileable brick wall texture. I think I managed to make a decent sculpt but I am really struggling with composition of maps to create diffuse/albedo texture.

This is what I have so far:

It was made by compositing highlights matcap in screen mode, ambient occlusion and heightmap in multiply mode and base color layer + tweaking some levels/opacity but almost randomly without particular knowledge of what I am doing. I see that adding mortar color would instantly make it more believable but so far I am not really satisfied with bricks surface.

I would really appreciate some advice on how to proceed. The maps I have:
highlights matcap

normals

heightmap

cavity map

curvature map

ambient occlusion map

It feels like a lot of information to work with but I have very little idea how to approach this.
I'd appreciate your help and critique. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Cordero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cordero polycounter
    hello! Fanny Vergne made a wonderful tutorial on how she approaches texturing tileable stuff using a sculpture as base.
    So she basically renders out the sculpt using different matcaps which would suit the end result you are after... ( you can learn how to render from zbrush pretty quickly from youtube ) and then you can composite them together in photoshop, experiment away! to help you get a good end result try and find a reference material you would like to emulate, is it clay like, or maybe simple dry brick.. 
    also check out her website, since she has another free tutorial which you can download from Gumroad for free!
    http://www.fannyvergne.com/p/tutorial.html
    since she makes some uberawesome textures it's worth taking a look at her stuff aswell to learn from!

good luck!

• SergeyA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SergeyA polycounter lvl 6
    Thank you very for the tip Cordero. This is exactly what I am trying to achieve. I only wish there was a video describing composition part in more detail.

Check out my resulting texture:
    model

I had to paint over some seams but I am quite happy with the result. It's the best texture I was able to achieve so far.
    Thank you very much.