Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Rock Thing

vertex
Offline / Send Message
JuhaKeranen vertex
I've been trying to get into sculpting rocks with Blender for my games. I'm now working on this little thing, but the lowpoly version with the normal map doesn't really look anything like the highpoly. I just use decimate and then did a quick UV unwrap and baked the normals. I'm thinking the main problem might be the UV unwrapping, but maybe I'm just doing something completely wrong besides that. I'm a complete beginner. If anyone can give me any critique or suggestions as to workflow, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Hey, good luck with rock sculpting! It's tougher than it looks, but it doesn't take too long to get decent at.

For this rock, what is the reference you are using? It's odd to see parts of the rock stick and point out so much. Usually those areas would be the first to break off, and make a less pointy rock. I can't really tell if the left or right one is the high poly. I'm also having trouble figuring out the shape; it looks kind of like a flat starfish that is missing some arms.

My biggest tip would be to figure out a natural and interesting shape while it is still quite low in polys. Search up some tutorials on rock sculpting and spend a week doing those, and I'm sure you'll get a lot better quickly. I don't sculpt in Blender so I can't give you advice on tools, sorry!
  • JuhaKeranen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JuhaKeranen vertex
    Thanks for the tip!

I was trying to combine something like these two:

The one on the right is the high poly. You can see all the flowing shadow details in it. The one on the left doesn't look like anything, really. Somehow the normal map just makes it look like oatmeal or something.

The big problem I'm having isn't so much the sculpting process. I know I can get better at it. But the lowpoly version doesn't look anything like the high poly. I have no idea what to do there since it's always been a problem for me.

Thanks again!
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    How many polys is the low poly?
  • JuhaKeranen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JuhaKeranen vertex
    How many polys is the low poly?
    It's 1222 faces.