Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

How to go about painting a bush

ShadyDev
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
ShadyDev polycounter lvl 4
Hi! Im starting out an illustration - basically its a hunter gatherer picking berries or fruit from a large bush. Ive never really painted a bush in this context before (as in part of a main focus) and im not sure the best way to go about it. I want the main focus on the dudes hands and around the fruit hes picking - so where do i focus my detail work on the bush/leaves? just the main area around the fruit? maybe anything in the beam of light? how do i paint this in a believable manner and not have a big green clump with awkward repetitive leaves coming out of it. 

Replies

• EricElwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EricElwell insane polycounter
    I would recommend that you block in a nice silhouette for the bush (making sure to have a soft background behind it). I mean, just a bold shape. Then come back in and cut away to allow some negative space... through holes and a broken up edge. Then come in with a scatter brush for your lit leaves. As far as drawing the eye... well, you tilt your shapes to converge on the desired point. You can also lower the value and color contrast as you pull away from the focal area. Remember also that you control the lighting. So play with different lighting setups to see what will work best for you. Good luck!