Home Collaboration & Unpaid Work

Colab game environment

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
alexbellato polycounter lvl 4
Hey everyone!

I was thinking about to do a colab project, focus in a environment (TBD)
This idea came to my mind because I haven't had a lot of free time to do personal projects, since I am a 3D artist in an Indie studio here in Victoria-CA.
So I thought in put together 4 or 5 more people that have the same "problem" as I have, to do this colab and learn new technics, software, tips and tricks for each other. 
We could create a Discord or Slack group, to discuss the process and we also could do one hangout per week to talk about the difficulties and/or show and tell our progress.
The final project would be a nice piece of portfolio for everyone involved in this project.

Does this sound crazy?
Let me now your thoughts guys and gals.
If anyone want to do this, hit me up on Artstation (there is message in there now!)

Cheers,

Alex (https://www.artstation.com/alexbellato)

Replies

• rohMizuno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that sounds like a great idea actually, I cant be part of it atm but I hope you find enough people, hope some veterans too. You should also document the process and all here.
  • Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wouldn't have much time to do actual work on it at all but I'd love to be part of the chat to at least learn new things or give feedback. :)
  • alexbellato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rohMizuno said:
    that sounds like a great idea actually, I cant be part of it atm but I hope you find enough people, hope some veterans too. You should also document the process and all here.
    Thanks @rohMizuno ... if this project take off I'll document it for sure!
  • alexbellato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wouldn't have much time to do actual work on it at all but I'd love to be part of the chat to at least learn new things or give feedback. :)
    That'd be awesome man! Let's see if I can put this thing together. :)
  • Rolfisway
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rolfisway polycounter lvl 2
    I would be pleased to work with you, but I'm a beginner. If it wouldn't interrupt your team, I would like to work with you as a 3D artist  :) 
  • aryarie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aryarie triangle
    Rolfisway said:
    I would be pleased to work with you, but I'm a beginner. If it wouldn't interrupt your team, I would like to work with you as a 3D artist  :) 
    Ditto here... as someone who wants to build environments eventually this would be a really good way to learn new things.

But if not, maybe us beginners can start our own one? :)
  • Rolfisway
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aryarie said:
    Rolfisway said:
    Ditto here... as someone who wants to build environments eventually this would be a really good way to learn new things.

But if not, maybe us beginners can start our own one? :)
    If you meant work together, it would be awesome to work with another artist. 
  • alexbellato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everybody.
    It's nice to see people getting interested in this project. :)  
    Everybody are welcome to participate, but the main goal here will be to create a "kick-ass" environment for game, using/learning Substance Painter and Designer, UE4, Zbrush and any other 3D software.
    So, if you are a beginner, no problem. But you will have to learn a lot during the process. For that I will see if I can do a streaming once every week to help you guys out.

But that is just the beginning of an idea. Give me feedbacks guys.
    I'll be out during this weekend, so as soon as I get back I'll start to put this project together.

Cheers and keep on learning!
  • Rolfisway
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everybody.
    Everybody are welcome to participate, but the main goal here will be to create a "kick-ass" environment for game, using/learning Substance Painter and Designer, UE4, Zbrush and any other 3D software.
    So, if you are a beginner, no problem. But you will have to learn a lot during the process. For that I will see if I can do a streaming once every week to help you guys out.

I'll be out during this weekend, so as soon as I get back I'll start to put this project together.

Yes, I'm ready to learn all these software. The thing is, I'm going to be an environment artist. 
    And I can create props for video games.
    By the way, I'm not totally beginner. I use Maya, Substance Painter, Photoshop, 3D-Coat (a bit) and I wanna learn another stuff
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    This is a wicked idea. I'm busy with my portfolio but I'd be down to throw out CC and stuff. You should aim to get a certain number of people on board, have everybody look for concept art and then have a final vote on which concept environment to create. Then, start a new thread solely for the purpose of the project and have everybody post their work as they go. Create a discord chat room maybe? Looks like you're going to be the leader, Alex! Great thing to stick on your resume ;)
  • alexbellato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is a wicked idea. I'm busy with my portfolio but I'd be down to throw out CC and stuff. You should aim to get a certain number of people on board, have everybody look for concept art and then have a final vote on which concept environment to create. Then, start a new thread solely for the purpose of the project and have everybody post their work as they go. Create a discord chat room maybe? Looks like you're going to be the leader, Alex! Great thing to stick on your resume ;)
    That's exactly  what I'll try do do man! Good luck with your portfolio man. Hope to see you around when this thing starts! :) 
  • zvetraly_kamen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zvetraly_kamen polycounter lvl 2
    Neat! Count me in.  :)
  • analogous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    analogous polycounter lvl 4
    I really would love to try this out as well! I'm a new graduate so I don't have much work experience under my belt, but this would be a great learning experience if I could be part of it. 
  • aryarie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aryarie triangle
    Hey everybody.

:) I'd love to take part, even if I just make smaller / simpler props etc. I can use Maya and Photoshop and I had plans to start learning substance and zbrush so this would be a great way for me to start tackling these tools.

I just need to look into the most economic way to buy substance/zbrush and I'll be ready to go :)
  • alexbellato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I don't know why this topic was moved to Unpaid Work ... in my point of view this is more a group-study, there is nothing to do with work. :neutral:

The thing is, I'm back from my 3 days off and I'll start to collect references and ideas for this project tonight. As soon as I get something more concrete, I'll update this post.

Cheers,
  • aryarie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aryarie triangle
    I can help look for some references too if you like :) Did you have a specific type of environment in mind for this project? 
  • alexbellato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here everyone.

I was thinking in do an environment inspired by Borderlands.
    I've put a discord server together (https://discord.gg/VHQ2BAP). There we can chat and exchange ideas, I also put some references in there. For now I was planing to start this thing in a easy way.... Like modeling some assets on a streaming (www.twitch.tv/one_piece_at_a_time) to get the engines going.  Then all of us can learn with each other. So ... be my guest to join me anytime.

Cheers,

• aryarie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aryarie triangle
    Ah, cool :) I will check this out when I get home from work.