Home Career & Education

Aspiring game developer-where do I even begin?

Fawful
null
Offline / Send Message
Fawful null
Greetings all. I am new to the forums here and I was redirected here by a friend who suggested I come here to learn about game development and such. I have no knowledge of any programming language, nor anything about game design. And I would like to change that. I want to start working on games, but not as a career or anything, just as a little hobby. I want to start small with some 2D games. I know doing this on my own is very difficult and I would need some help. Anyway, so where should I begin if I wish to do so? What should I learn first? What programming language should I use if I want to develop something on the Unity Engine? What are the main steps to developing a game? Anything?

Replies

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Fawful
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fawful null
    Probably better to have an idea and figure out what you need to learn to make that idea happen.  If you just want a platformer (like mario) you could start with template projects in unity or unreal or gamemaker and start messing around.  Happy googling.
    I have a pretty good idea for what kind of game I want, but as I said I have no knowledge whatsoever of anything game design/coding that goes. Not even for using a game engine. So I just mess around with it and try to learn?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    You will be pleasantly surprised by how many free, complete game projects exist for Unity.

I suggest you do what we did at USC's Interactive Media Division and download these projects to learn and ape what they did.

Take a C# learning course from a free coding class online AND deconstruct what they're doing in these games.

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/search/page=1/sortby=relevance/query=category:168
  • sacboi
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

@Fawful - "Greetings all. I am new to the forums here and I was redirected here by a friend who suggested I come here to learn about game development and such. I have no knowledge of any programming language, nor anything about game design. And I would like to change that. I want to start working on games, but not as a career or anything, just as a little hobby. I want to start small with some 2D games. I know doing this on my own is very difficult and I would need some help. Anyway, so where should I begin if I wish to do so? What should I learn first? What programming language should I use if I want to develop something on the Unity Engine? What are the main steps to developing a game? Anything?"

I would recommend for an absolute beginner, as @TeriyakiStyle mentioned, most probably in my opinion GameMaker will suit your immediate aspirations for the moment. Their tutorial library is quite well set out for those seeking entry into gamesdev and if you get stuck on something, there's a GM community of like minded users too lean on for help. Anyways get your 'feet wet' with this IDE (Integrated development environment) first, prior to moving onto popular alternatives such as Unity, UE, etc...believe me it'll save you heaps of effort plus time acquiring a solid grounding involved in the principles and concepts of developing interactive content.

Cheers. 

EDIT:

...also the above tutorial link leads to a couple of workflows developing a 2D game, with a choice of either implementing DnD (drag and drop) or GML (GameMaker Language) two versions of their native game logic system.
  • Bletzkarn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bletzkarn polycounter lvl 6
    Best way to get started is by going to udemy.com and finding something that suites your needs.

I was able to create a virtual reality game in unity in 3 months with absolutely 0 coding knowledge prior.
  • Chidambhar_Swaroop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chidambhar_Swaroop polycounter lvl 2
    Udemy is really helpful .... Check it out...