Home Technical Talk

From Blender to Maya Questions.

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Joshua Godwin polycounter lvl 4
So I'm coming from Blender which I've used since like idk 13, 14 years old somewhere around there. So I might be a wee bit biased towards Blender. Anyways since I want a job in this industry I need to learn the industry standard software, thus why I'm trying to learn Maya and will probably try learning 3ds max afterwards.

I feel like it's always best to do stuff as non destructively as possible but I can't really find much of a way to do that in Maya. In Blender I could just mark edges to be used with a bevel modifier. This way allows me to go back and decide if I want a bigger/smaller bevel or just completely get rid of it altogether. It also enabled me to keep everything relatively low poly so that it is really quick to get my final low poly mesh afterwards.

Anyways I can't find anything like that for Maya. It seems like the only way would be an add on like hard mesh. Unfortunately I can't get hard mesh to work either (I just downloaded and got the trial running today but so far it doesn't work at all like promised; doesn't bevel things in a way I could use, has a problem with scale, and low poly stuff doesn't work at all)

Also I can't stand that fucking stupid widget. I've looked online but can't seem to find any way to get the move, rotate, scale, etc. to work with a hotkey like in Blender. Closest thing I can find is to Shift MMB to move along an axis (but I still have to press w, e, or r first). Also in Blender I can press g and then type in a number like 15 to move something a set amount but can't really find a quick way to do that in Maya. Aslo that widget always gets in my way when trying to select stuff.

Another little note is that Maya is weird how it selects stuff and adds new geometry. Is there a way to add geometry without creating a new object that I have to combine later? For instance in Blender I can within edit mode just press Shift A to add any sort of primitive (In Maya it always seems to make a new object). And don't get me started on how the selection works...

Anyways just trying to figure out why everything modeling wise is so much slower in Maya (I'm sure half of it is just me being a total noob to Maya but some of it feels so odd that they wouldn't have certain hotkeys for things or are missing functions, etc.)

P.S. if anyone knows of tutorials for learning Maya from Blender then I would love to check those out. It seems like every Maya tutorial treats you like you are some baby that has no clue about anything 3d. Also if you know of any plugins or scripts that might help with modeling let me know.

Replies

• RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    Hi. Looking forward to what other people have to say.

This is a tiny change, hopefully it makes things more comfortable:
    http://polycount.com/discussion/172524/blenders-select-all-deselect-for-maya

One thing I had trouble with in Maya, coming from Blender, was navigation. This script helps with that:
    https://www.highend3d.com/maya/script/focus-on-mouse-cursor-for-maya (you need to create a free account to download)
  • Joshua Godwin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @RN Thanks I'll have to try that out. Don't suppose there a script for allowing transforms to use hotkeys like Blender?
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hopefully the shock will wear off soon :) Last parts first: I don't watch many tutorials, but whenever I do try to find one for someone, they're like you describe. Maybe someone who's recently learned could chime in there. For modeling feeling slow, I personally use the marking menus to do most operations. ctrl-rmb is generally "think, and shift-rmb is generally "do", if that makes sense. I moved hotkeys around, I like to have multi-cut, weld verts, and connect components on easy access, but I don't recommend toying with hotkeys too hard when first coming in.

No idea about the movement hotkey, that always seemed bizarre to me about blender. :dizzy: Use the channel box panel on the right to key in translate values. 
    No way to add geometry in the way you're asking, sorry.

Nearly everything in maya is node-based, which is quasi-non-destructive, but it's not always easy to just "kill" something like a bevel. It's either undo to back out, or selecting the bevel node in the hypergraph and deleting it. As for tweaking a bevel or whatever, you immediately get a floating panel that you can MMB on to change the vales, in addition to doing the same action in the channel box.
  • Joshua Godwin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @throttlekitty I didn't actually realize Maya was based on nodes. I've always liked nodes will have to check that out. In regards to keying in values yea I can do that but it feels sooo slow... would rather have a hotkey.

Yea I'm sure the shock will wear off eventually...
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    dont try work like in blender... try the maya way first... use all those marking menues and learn first the vanilla maya... customize later... 
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    the good news is that if you manage to get accustomed to maya then from then on it's smooth sailing since most 3D apps you are likely to encounter behave more or less that way. :)