Home Career & Education

Question About Software Used in Game Art Portfolios

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Zalek4 polycounter lvl 5
Hi all! 

I'm a college student working towards a degree in game art, and I recently attended a campus meeting about internships in the game design field. It was made clear that a portfolio is a must have before applying (uh, duh), and that only the best work should go in yadayadayada.

What was not made clear is what software is acceptable to use to showcase "engine ready" work in a portfolio. I assume that it would be foolish of someone like me to render assets out in something like iray, make them all pretty with light and stuff, and then put them in a portfolio since it's not the kind of situation my assets are for. They're for real-time.

So the question...

Is it better to use an actual engine, like UE4 or Unity, over Marmoset Toolbag 3. And, is Marmoset even qualified? It does say it's a real time renderer.

As a student living paycheck to paycheck, I can't rationalize a purchase like Marmoset just because it's cool, unless it's a viable option for a game asset centered portfolio.

Thanks!

Z

Replies

• Marshkin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marshkin polycounter lvl 9
    As a student living paycheck to paycheck - Use a free engine like UE4 or Unity.

Marmoset is quick to display nice results, and i find it easier to set up, but I don't think you lose out by learning to do it in something like UE4. 
    The downside is that if you want to showcase your high poly, you won't want to do that in-engine and Marmoset handles HP pretty well. But in that case, just grab it from wherever you modeled your HP. 
  • CrackRockSteady
    Marmoset is perfectly acceptable for portfolio renders, I would even say it is standard for presenting models.

However, if that is an expenditure you don't feel comfortable making at this point, using something like UE4 or Unity works equally as well, you'll probably just need to spend a bit more time familiarizing yourself with the software and setting up a nice presentation scene (or you may be able to find an already prepared scene online somewhere I don't know)
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Keep your ear close to the Toolbag social media for when they do seasonal sales,
  • Zalek4
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zalek4 polycounter lvl 5
    I really appreciate the clarification guys! Thanks!