Home Technical Talk

Low poly Bevel Edges

dar0005
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
dar0005 polycounter lvl 6
Hello, I have a simple question regarding getting bevel edges for low poly game assets. What is the particular workflow that should be used for creating bevel edges for a low poly model? Should I create a high poly version to get the bevel look and then bake to the low poly even if there are no huge details to bake besides that, or create the low poly only and bevel the edges? Or there another way to go about it. Does the high poly version for the game asset need to typically have correct topology before baking or could I use per say Boolean tools and the bevel tool to get the look I want before baking the texture maps? I typically use Maya and Blender. Is 3ds max worth using even though it is geared more towards game asset creation? The ui is too full for me since I wouldn't use most of the tools, is there a way to reduce the ui elements? Thanks

Replies

• CharacterCarl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CharacterCarl greentooth
    It depends on the type of texture and the size of the asset.
    If a tileable texture is used, the bevels have to be modeled. This is useful for bigger surfaces and usually employs the use of face weighted normals.
    If the asset uses a unique texture, in addition to modeling them out bevels can be done the following way:
    1. Bake from high poly.
    2. Create UV splits for every beveled edge and add bevels in texturing app (Quixel/Substance) using UV islands.
    3. Some 3D apps have allow bevels to be generated through a shader (no modeling required). You can then bake them to a texture. Here is an example from MODO.

High poly topology is not really relevant. Whether you have clean subdiv topology or a DynaMesh as high poly doesn't matter as long as it doesn't produce baking errors.
  • Thanez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanez interpolator
    Hi, Darius. I'm gonna try and answer you, but I suggest you find some pictures to illustrate the ideas and questions you have, so we can better understand what you're asking. Your questions are hard to answer because there aren't any answers that are always true in every situation. We know nothing about your project or your plans for it, for instance how important is the visual fidelity of the asset, what's your polycount limit; is it a first person hero sword or a bucket in a corner of the room?
    If you've already started a model and have questions regarding it, do post pictures of it.

There are many ways to achieve an end
    As for my workflow:
    -Make lowpoly as high quality in the areas I need for it to look nice at the distance I intend it to be rendered at.
    -Make highpoly from lowpoly with all of the details and all the smoosh I want.
    -Optimize lowpoly to the point where the normal map can hide it's simplicity or add geometry where needed.
    -Bake everything down.

If you're planning on baking normals, then the highpoly absolutely needs that chamfered edge as the baked normal map will try it's best to override the lowpoly's topology underneath it. As for whether you should chamfer that edge on the lowpoly depends on whether you need it or not to sell the effect of a chamfered edge. A chamfer that is present on the normalmap and not on the lowpoly will look good at a distance, but the illusion will be weakened the closer the camera gets to it.

You can use maya or blender if you want, but for the entire process you'll have to rely on and learn to use other applications. This is why I use 3ds max. It has all the tools I need in one package.
    Try it out. If you like it more then maya, use 3ds. If you prefer blender, use that. We're all beautiful, unique snowflakes with special needs.

Here's the real answer to all your questions though: You have some ideas, go try them out and see what works and what doesn't. Learn why in the process.
  • Ladygrace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ladygrace polycounter lvl 5
    I am currently looking into this as well and i have created a trimsheet like the one used here but i need to work out how to do the texturesheets for it. http://twvideo01.ubm-us.net/o1/vault/gdc2015/presentations/Olsen_Morten_TheUltimateTrim.pdf
    I tried with Quixel suite and for some reason the bevels are not 45 degrees so i just made some high polys in Maya and baked them out and gave my low poly hard edges and then done the uv's.
    Here is the trimsheet if you want to try. 
    http://i.imgur.com/zDBEn5G.jpg
    These are the results i got from it http://i.imgur.com/Hnim9Ik.jpg

• dar0005
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dar0005 polycounter lvl 6
    My plan is to create hand grenades assets to use for a game , also if something has holes in it if it isnt for mobile is it ok to keep them and for a mobile game would I fake the holes with textures?