Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Critique

Molo
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Molo polycounter lvl 4
I was wondering if my portfolio was ready for a freelance junior character artist position (if such a thing exists) or a low end freelance character artist job?

I really want to make a nice complete character but I'm very short on time due to certain personal and financial happenings in my life.  Is there anything I can revise or a reasonably small asset I can make that might be more convincing to a potential client?

Also, if its not too off-topic, any personal tips and tricks to quickly finding that first freelance job ( that you might be willing to share)? 

Thanks.

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Just strictly looking at your portfolio, you've got a precarious situation going on.

With the two faces and clothing set you've rendered, it looks pretty solid but not QUITE done for a junior artist.  I appreciate the way it's rendered and the quality of the work with where it's at, but there's definitely more to do to bring it to polish.

The hand and anatomy study are weakest.  The time they've receieved doeesn't seem enough to justify them as portfolio pieces.  They would survive if there were significantly more other final pieces, but right now, they stick out as sore thumbs.

You definitely have potential and a solid base (almost reminds   me of a super early Mike Steele), but you definitely need more work to prove you can stretch to hard surface focused assets, or other artistic styles.  I can imagine you being picked up for basic freelance work if you're comfortable with doing non-hero assets.

If you want small and fast(er) and charatcers still, make busts as an initial idea.  But that might involve the same amount of work as a full character might.

My fiirst freelance job came from an internship, and half of the future ones came from word of mouth from friends.
    Online wise, you can mine some non obvious sites like Polycount.com, TIGsource, Orca-HQ, r/gamedevclassifieds, and others for those contracts.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    As Brian mentioned, the female face and the marvelous outfit are pretty solid.  They show you have a solid fundamental understanding of basic character art principles.  That being said, they need polish and further level of finish.  Why not combine those 2 to make a full low poly character?  If you can at least do that, do a nice pose, a nice set of renders, that will go a long way.  Depending on need, some smaller studios might give you a shot at a jr spot but most studios probably won't as they will want to see more polish and finished pieces.  You can try to get freelance right now for sure but don't expect any work that will really bolster your folio.  If you can do those smallish freelance gigs while working on a proper finished folio piece, that would help for your next gig.  
  • Molo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Molo polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks so much guys.

The critique and advice helps so much. I'll start work on a full, non-hero character asap. 
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I want to iterate that there is no question you can make game ready assets.  If there are questions, there's a fair art test to bridge the gap.  You're farther ahead than a lot, but there's fortunately more opportunity to polish that already shiny rock.