Home Technical Talk

Which Baker??

Cyph3r
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
Hey all,

Basically I just wanted peoples input on what the "preferred" baker is nowawdays? 

I've used 3dsmax for baking (meh) and since getting Substance Painter I've been trying to use the baker in that (but the lack of a visible cage and other quirks ruin an otherwise decent baker). So that leaves me with

• xNormal
• Knald
• Marmoset TB3

I've tried xNormal very briefly in the past and wasn't a huge fan, but I know it's very popular. Knald looks decent, and the new Marmoset TB3 baker looks to have some great features.

Thoughts?!

Replies

• morgannilsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    morgannilsson polycounter lvl 4
    If you have Marmoset TB3 already, take it for a spin and see if it suits your needs before buying other stuff!

There is also Handplane baker: http://www.handplane3d.com/ but I haven't tried that one out yet.
  • Cyph3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
    I don't already have TB! I do want it though because of the viewer as well!

I'll check out handplane3d :) 
  • instg8r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    instg8r polycounter lvl 8
    I've been using the Handplane baker for a while now. Mostly baked in Max, switched briefly to Substance, then finally to Handplane (I still bake my material IDs out of Max, however). I love how quickly Handplane can bake, and I am also very happy with the results.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    I've been a huge fan of MightyBake for quite a while now. Handplane creates great results too.
  • Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    I've used xNormal for a number of years now.  I'm a fan of its simplicity and consistent, quality results when paired with a cage.  Occasionally I will use Substance Painter for quick AO or position maps if I'm already working in that program.

I used Marmoset Toolbag 3 for the first time this weekend and I'm fairly confident that I will never bake with any of the other software again.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    XNormal .    No  other one I tried can load 700 mil polygons  and bake mega 16384 textures.      Knald for AO
  • jfitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jfitch polycounter lvl 5
    Substance painter is the shit if you bake by mesh name...visible cage would be nice though. I use painter and knald most of the time, haven't tried TB3 yet but I want to. xNormal is the best free option for sure. 
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    gnoop said:
    XNormal .    No  other one I tried can load 700 mil polygons  and bake mega 16384 textures.      Knald for AO
    The hell are you baking that has 700m polygons and requires a 16k texture?
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    gnoop said:
    If your biggest concern is handling very large meshes you should give handplane baker a try. The GPU bakers like knald have the fastest AO calculation which is a big advantage over CPU based bakers (handplane and xnormal) but handling really big meshes is where they struggle. Sending that much data to the GPU is slow and you are forced to do the slow step first which drags down iteration time. I haven't ever tried to bake 700 million triangles but I regularly bake 10-50 million triangle meshes and they are quick. There shouldn't be a limit to maximum mesh size except for situations where you run out of system memory.

Handplane is a lot faster than xnormal- The bigger the mesh, the greater the difference in speed.  A quick benchmark on my system (i7 4790, files stored on a samsung 840 evo SSD):

20.7 million triangle mesh, object space normals baked at 2k res with no SS

Using a stop watch on xnormal (reported bake times are wrong) from pressing the bake button to having files written I got 1:38

Handplane baker gets it done in 14.5 seconds which In this case that is 6.7 times faster.  If you are only baking a million triangles the difference is much smaller. handplane is also faster at AO and curvature than xnormal so even on smaller meshes you should be spending less time waiting around for bakes.

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    toolbag here. it's very quick except for the AO pass, you can have direct preview of the result and the live cage tweaking is very helpful. after using that i could not go back to xnormal to working semi-blind and importing meshes into a spreadsheet interface anymore.

the cool thing about xnormal is/was custom tangent spaces via plugin though. good stuff if you're working with inhouse tech that does not conform to any standard.
  • hansolocambo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hansolocambo polycounter lvl 8
    thomasp said:
    toolbag here. it's very quick except for the AO pass, you can have direct preview of the result and the live cage tweaking is very helpful. after using that i could not go back to xnormal to working semi-blind and importing meshes into a spreadsheet interface anymore.

the cool thing about xnormal is/was custom tangent spaces via plugin though. good stuff if you're working with inhouse tech that does not conform to any standard.
    Hi Thomasp. I've been playing with marmoset for a few hours and it's definitely an amazingly thorough baking interface where you can update or bake only some of the objects, reload them, etc. Amazing. BUT I have an issue and wanted to know if you ever faced the same ? : Marmoset regularly freezes when loading my high poly fbx/obj. Some of them are no more than 30MB, a few hundred thousand polygons. They load properly and bake fine in ZBRush, Max, Maya, 3D-Coat, Knald and XNormals. I tried them all. But still would love to work with Marmoset for its flexibility. But if Marmoset 3 keeps hanging when loading models...
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Just wondering why do you need a visible cage to bake your texture map? Just set a proper cage in max, export that as .fbx together with your high and low mesh, then bake in Painter without any issue.
  • JoseConseco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoseConseco greentooth
    I had similar problem - no convenient way way to bake textures. So I made custom blender addon for exporting and baking with substance batchtools. It basically solved all time consuming tasks:
    - automatic export of low and hi poly meshes in background
    - in blender preview of rear/frontal ray distance
    - in blender cage setup in non destructive way 
    - ability to bake only pars of texture that need to be rebaked
    - ability to preview bake results in blender,
    - only export geo if it was changed.
    With SD 6  it also support 8k bakes, and non square textures. I will add skew maps support once they are implemented in batch tools.
    Unfortunately it is not free (12$ right now), but it works with trial of SD forever :D.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Been using SPainter for the last 18months. Was such a joy to bake in a real-time wysiwyg envronment, ready to texture(moving from xnormal) Switched to TB3 for the skew painting feature. This feature is now in SDesigner so I'm guessing it won't be long before it makes its way to Painter too. Loving TB3 baking though. 

I would entirely steer clear of baking in Max/Maya. They are outdated for baking, especially with the amount of modern options today. They are also probably the only software still using their own tangent basis whilst everyone else has adopted or natively supports miikt.
  • Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    SDesigner alll the waayyyyy babbeeeeeeyy

Spent some years baking in XNormal, then SPainter, now SDesigner. I never got into the TB3 train because I always textured in Substance and thought that would give me the best bakes to use with their tools because, well, they made those too. Like musashi said, now that SD also feature skew map painting, even if a bit arcaic when compared with TB where you can paint on the model, TB looks even more uninteresting to me now. 

Minirant: Seriously, who asked for baking inside Toolbag? Please give us the ability to render stuff reading trim sheets from multiple UV channels that advanced tiling techniques require, not features from another completely different phase of the artwork pipeline. More tools are always welcome, but please focus on rendering, Marmoset. That's your app's forte. What's next, rigging inside TB4? 

I hope Allegorithmic will sooner or later add this skewmap feature in Painter and they'll let you paint on the model, but in any case, ever since I adopted baking with skewmeshes I've rarely have had skewing issues, and to be frank I'm surprised to see so many people still talk about baking with cages these days. 

And yes, whenever I hear someone from work say he baked anything using Max or Maya, I resist the urge to slap them. 
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Hi Thomasp. I've been playing with marmoset for a few hours and it's definitely an amazingly thorough baking interface where you can update or bake only some of the objects, reload them, etc. Amazing. BUT I have an issue and wanted to know if you ever faced the same ? : Marmoset regularly freezes when loading my high poly fbx/obj. Some of them are no more than 30MB, a few hundred thousand polygons. They load properly and bake fine in ZBRush, Max, Maya, 3D-Coat, Knald and XNormals. I tried them all. But still would love to work with Marmoset for its flexibility. But if Marmoset 3 keeps hanging when loading models...
    hey no i've used TB3 for all my baking since the alpha versions and have never seen this behaviour. i almost always use OBJ and quite often in the 1+ gbyte range. perhaps it's an issue with your GPU since TB3 seems to do most stuff on there. you should probably contact @EarthQuake or head over to their facebook group and let them figure it out.

@Revel was that directed at me? i like to avoid fiddling with cages manually, in TB3 it's a slider and perhaps a little paint-tweak if the first bake has holes. which otherwise would require going back to the 3d app and reexport again. in TB3 i can even slip in a new lowpoly mesh and keep my modified cage. painter isn't part of my toolset either.

• Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    @thomasp actually I'm saying about the OP saying "Substance Painter I've been trying to use the baker in that (but the lack of a visible cage and other quirks ruin an otherwise decent baker)". What I do normally is to make sure the cage was ok by doing some test bakes in Max before do a production bake in SP, so I don't really need to see the cage in SP when I want to do my bakes.
  • Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    I'm using a combination of TB3 and Substance at the moment.
    TB3 is much faster for me but missing some options that Substance has, like ray distance for AO.
    Curvature from TB3 is way much more precise, probably it bakes from the high poly mesh instead of calculating the curvature from the normals.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm biased of course but I think Toolbag 3's baker is just swell. Cage sculpting, skew painting, real-time local adjustments as you make changes, bake groups/name matching, layered psd export, automagic matids, etc. Toolbag bakes to your selected tangent space as well, which means you can bake Mikktspace, Max, or Maya, the only other baker which can do this is Handplane afaik. We're working on adding more map types and features to make it even better as well.

@Revel real-time visualization is awesome, you can clearly see the problem, fix it, and see the updated result instantly. It makes debugging bakes extremely fast and easy. Using bakers that don't have realtime preview just feels like flying blind to me now. Sure you can manually make a cage in Max/Maya, do a test bake, and then set up the bake again in another app, but this is typically a slow process, and if you miss something, it's a pain to debug.

@hansolocambo please shoot an email to support@marmoset.co with a description of the problem, system specs (OS, GPU, etc) and a sample file that is giving you problems and we'll debug it, thanks!

@Prime8 yes, Toolbag 3's curvature map is baked from the highpoly geometry, not generated from the normal map like some other bakers. Generating from the actual geometry means there is no smoothing information baked into the resulting map.

@Justo people talk about cages because you can't bake without a cage. No matter what your workflow is, it involves a cage in some way. You might make it in your 3D app, you might make it in the baker, you might have a distance setting to create it, but to bake a normal map you need a cage/virtual projection mesh that controls the direction and distance of the ray projection. The basics section here: https://www.marmoset.co/posts/toolbag-baking-tutorial/ covers the concept of cages/projection meshes and applies to all bakers, though some may use different terminology.
  • Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    @EarthQuake I agree that no matter what your workflow is you'll always be using a cage, automated or not. I referred specifically to the manual-type workflows, where you create a cage in a 3D app and export it. Personally it seems unnecessary nowadays, with so many options out there that automate this, thus reducing time and effort spent on baking setups. Though I don't use it these days and have my complaints with the app, TB3 is a very useful tool for this.

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Justo oh yes, I agree. Manually creating a cage from your 3D app and then exporting it is generally problematic. In addition to being a generally slow and clunky workflow, the big problem with this is that if you make some changes to your mesh or uvs, you may need to redo the cage work entirely.

In Toolbag on the other hand, you can change your lowpoly mesh topology, uvs, smoothing, etc and simply re-export the file, which will auto update in the baker and retain your settings. The only exception here is that if you make significant changes to your uvs you may need to clear your offset (basically a cage displacement map), and skew maps.

There are some rare outlier cases where you may need to manually adjust specific verts of a cage, but generally I find the cause of this tends to be very extreme geometry (near 180 degree angles and such), and it's often best to adjust the lowpoly so it's not as extreme.
  • vickgaza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vickgaza polycounter lvl 6
    Sorry for ressurectin this thread but @EarthQuake any way to bake UDIM`s in Marmoset ? I really do prefer marmoset over anything else, but sometimes I have a body split into 2 different texture sets (or 3-4) in which case I just want to export 1 single mesh file with the udims  offset 1 unit. And use 1 single HP file,1 single LP file and bake . Now I guess I can only lock normals, split mesh in chunks (and scale down other udims to 1 px and put them on the same one) etc. And then for each group it re-read the HP over and over right as if it`s a new bake ? 

Or am I missing something? Would love to know of a workaround for this as I love the baker in Marmo, and visualizing the cage and all :X