Home Career & Education

How to get more feedback on my work?

triangle
Offline / Send Message
Semi triangle
Hey guys, I posted a recent work in progress that was pretty close to final to get some feedback on it, but I didn't much except from some friends that were really soft on critiques or just praised it, but I wanted more accurate critiques and ways to improve it, since I wanted to get it to a level where it could fit in a portfolio, or at least let me show decent quality of work in order to get some freelance work at some point. However, I'm not sure if I did something wrong in the way I wrote my thread, but I didn't get any critique or feedback on it, and I'm wondering if:
a. My asset isn't that interesting, or is in a awkward place for feedback in term of execution.
b. The way I wrote the thread can be seen as a bit cocky or is written in such a way that people won't want to answer it. 
c. It was just posted at a bad time, and I was just unlucky to not get any feedback.

I didn't want to add some random message to my post just to bump up the thread, and I don't want this topic to only lead to my post, although I am aware that people may need to check it out to give some better feedback and answer my question, and even if that would be really appreciated, I'd love it if people could share some more advice for other beginner or intermediate artists that would like to have more feedback, and what are some general things that you do to help your work shine more and give people the urge to comment on it! (I'm overexagering, but you get the point I think  :)

I personally think trying to separate yourself from the work and not showing your emotions towards it helps people to give you constructive criticism, because I believe it can be harder for others to give you advice if you seem like you are completely in love with the piece you made, but I could be the only one that it affects. 

Would love to know your opinions about the subject, and the link to the work I was talking about is in my signature! Can't wait to read you!

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    If you watch the 3D showcase page, it cycles through really frequently. I'd suggest posting at the beginning of a project, posting updates, and posting the final update. If you post once every few days until its finished, more people will see your post, and you're not just replying to your thread to bump it up. That's basically the best tactic I can think of. A lot of work goes under the radar in that section just because of how many people post there. I've posted up a bunch which didn't get replies, it's just what happens.

I'd also post your stuff to the Facebook group Ten Thousand Hours, to the different 3D subreddits, and maybe another forum. Sometimes your posts will go unnoticed on one site but get lots of critique on another.
  • Eric Chadwick
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    My critiques about threads that are not attractive:
    1) Title thread is not sexy.  It may just be "Please help" or "3D artwork," something that is not descriptive nor enticing.  This is relying on your abilities as a writer to threadbait me.
    2) Not enough expository images.  No turnaround.  Bad lighting in images.  Awkward renderings (weird colors) etc.
    3) More words than necessary. 
    4) No additional notes on the images explaining what you need us to look at.
    5) No avatar picture.  Makes me think that you're just driving by instead of committing to the community.
    6) Badly designed asset.  Especially if it's clear that the artist designed it on his/her own and doesn't explain their thinking with work in progress images.  WIPs increase the likelihood of a response so we can see what you are thinking.  Bad design rarely saves good technical execution.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

When you post a WIP, go into it expecting null replies!

Seems a bit paradoxical at face value I know?! but actually a plausible mind set creatively speaking bears thinking about. Because brass tacks of the thing in the first instance is primarily LEARNING through self application and if by virtue your efforts happen to attract attention then indeed a bonus though not necessarily an essential expectation most people new to this medium assume is the norm.    

• Bedrock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bedrock polycounter lvl 10
    Don't design your own assets. Pick a concept art and copy it/post it. If you have a game in mind post some screenshots from there as well. Your shortcomings will be a lot more obvious to you & others reading your thread will have an easier time providing feedback.

Early on you are better off following a tutorial from start to finish, possibly made by someone capable. Your work will have a lot less fundamental mistakes that can really only be solved by starting all over again. Things like carving out a hard surface model from a blob using the standard brush and so on.